The Etymotics HF5 Thread
Sep 2, 2010 at 4:38 PM Post #166 of 567
Oh crap, and he quotes Tyler Durdon.
wink_face.gif

Great news, my friend. Flatlined EQ. The only way to fly! Simplicity, yes, isn't it lovely. And how about comparison in drivability? Easier for the J3... same?

shane

Sep 2, 2010 at 4:47 PM Post #167 of 567

Drives the same as the SM3, pretty much. Nothing to worry about, put it that way, and I definitely wouldn't waste money on an amp if you haven't already got one.  Like I said, streamlining seems the way to go.....

How about this for a Tyler quote then? Make of it what you will:

"The things you own end up owning you"

Quote:
Oh crap, and he quotes Tyler Durdon.
wink_face.gif

Great news, my friend. Flatlined EQ. The only way to fly! Simplicity, yes, isn't it lovely. And how about comparison in drivability? Easier for the J3... same?

shane

Sep 2, 2010 at 5:50 PM Post #168 of 567
"I say never be complete, I say stop being perfect, I say let... lets evolve, let the chips fall where they may." TD

But your quote is more appropriate for this forum... 
wink_face.gif

Oops... so yeah, back to the Ety's... might have to check them out one day. Keep the impressions / reviews coming. Look forward to it. Between you and Stereophile... Hmm...

shane

Sep 2, 2010 at 6:15 PM Post #169 of 567
I am just listening to chopin concerto no. 1 with my headroom rig and the HF5.  the sound is simply lovely.  lovely and flat as it can be!
smile.gif

hey shane...did you change your avatar?

Sep 2, 2010 at 6:22 PM Post #170 of 567

Quote:

hey shane...did you change your avatar?

Yah... a while ago. We just haven't been in communication for a while... :frowning2:

I throw Zeke back up there for a change every so often. He's too cute to not share.
wink_face.gif

Sep 3, 2010 at 1:29 AM Post #171 of 567
Just putting a plug in for these awesome IEMs. I keep choosing them over the SE530. I just wish the foam tips were a little more comfortable, because they sound better to me than the tri-flanges.

Sep 4, 2010 at 2:59 AM Post #174 of 567
Three answers for the price of one:

- If you stole them, yeah. 

- Depends how much that $40 means to you.

- I prefer the HF5 to the ER4P, for sound, build and fit/comfort reasons.

Quote:
Would these still be a steal if these are only $40 cheaper than the er4p?

Sep 4, 2010 at 1:08 PM Post #176 of 567
well, you have to bear in mind 2 things:
1) I had the ER4P/S quite a while ago now, so any comparison is memory based and therefore very dodgy
2) I used them through an iPod Classic, with and without amp, whereas now I'm using a Cowon J3, so source differences might account for what I'm hearing too.

With those 2 massive caveats, what I hear in the HF5 is more bass than the ER4 and less of a dry clinical sound signature.  The HF5 has an abundance of the same kind of crystal clarity and attention to detail, not to mention instrument separation, but just seems more musical and pleasurable in the mids to my ears - a lot more 'liquid' if that makes sense? With the iPod, the ER4s sounded sparse and 'grey' almost - maybe due to a more airy presentation, I dunno, but the J3 presents the HF5 sound with the notes etched in inky blackness, with a pinch more warmth that really helps integrate the instruments without losing definition.

My guess is my memory is defective and the J3's a much better dap than the Classic, but hey, I love the combo I have now and at such a cheap price, I'm not complaining one iota about the quality of the HF5s. Certainly have no desire to try the ER4P again, put it that way.....

Quote:
^Lol.. I guess i didn't phrase that right. But you get my idea yea?

Anyway, why do you prefer the hf5 over the er4p in terms of SQ?

Sep 13, 2010 at 6:54 AM Post #179 of 567
Picked up some used hf2's the other day inspired by all the recent hf5 activity here but didn't get on with them at all. Might be because they came with only the triple flanges and I couldnt find any other tips that worked with them, but man do these things go in deep, felt like I was guiding a virulent brain eating worm straight into my ear.
I was actually surpised by the amount of bass on offer, not hugely impressed with the overall sound though, nice and clear with a pleasing fluidity, not at all dry, much less thin and analytical than I thought they'd be but with a rather small soundstage.
 A neutral and strangely monochromatic sound but a bit dull and uninspiring I thought, nice to get back to my EQ-7's or even my PL30's. 

Sep 13, 2010 at 7:21 AM Post #180 of 567
Funny this 'deep fit' thing, isn't it?  Personally, I love the triple flanges and the really snug secure fit of ramming them into my brain - I can walk in them and turn my head any which way but loose and the sound remains exactly the same. Plus, they block out all the noise from stupid people.  But I can see how some might find that deep entry stuff a bit of a chore.

As for the sound, well again thats personal preference. Coming from the SM3s, the narrower soundstage is definitely noticeable, but I soon got readjusted and now I love that sense of intimacy the HF5s offer.  Its nowehere near as wiiide as that "Oh hang on, I'll just get a bus over to where that cymbal is crashing so I can see if its any good" presentation of the Earsonics, or even some other iems I've tried, but thats all part of its charm, I think.

Quote:
Picked up some used hf2's the other day inspired by all the recent hf5 activity here but didn't get on with them at all. Might be because they came with only the triple flanges and I couldnt find any other tips that worked with them, but man do these things go in deep, felt like I was guiding a virulent brain eating worm straight into my ear.
I was actually surpised by the amount of bass on offer, not hugely impressed with the overall sound though, nice and clear with a pleasing fluidity, not at all dry, much less thin and analytical than I thought they'd be but with a rather small soundstage.
 A neutral and strangely monochromatic sound but a bit dull and uninspiring I thought, nice to get back to my EQ-7's or even my PL30's. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back