The Etymotics HF5 Thread
Mar 4, 2010 at 1:55 PM Post #136 of 567
Ahh cheers, yup, bought them from there, and my Fiio E5 from there earlier in the week (separate order) - both times have been next day delivery and I've been HUGELY impressed with their service
biggrin.gif
I won't hesitate to order from them again

And perhaps I should have said complete, for now
biggrin.gif

Mar 5, 2010 at 4:16 PM Post #137 of 567
Since my hf5's were stolen i've been planning on replacing them but now that play.com have the er4p for £80 I'm thinking of getting those instead? Do they have a similar sound? And will they sound at least as good without any sort of amping out of my sony DAP? If anyone could tell me it'd be great as i've never heard the er4p, Thanks

Mar 5, 2010 at 4:21 PM Post #138 of 567
Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcus_C /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Since my hf5's were stolen i've been planning on replacing them but now that play.com have the er4p for £80 I'm thinking of getting those instead? Do they have a similar sound? And will they sound at least as good without any sort of amping out of my sony DAP? If anyone could tell me it'd be great as i've never heard the er4p, Thanks

Haven't heard the HF5s, only the ER4Ps, but I can't see how the HFs can beat those, I really can't. For £80, they are truly remarkable value. Oh, and they sound superb unamped so you shouldnt worry on that score. The ER4S demand an amp in my opinion, but the ER4P are peachy as they are....

Mar 5, 2010 at 4:45 PM Post #139 of 567
Yes, exactly.

I would not bother with ER4P unless you are amping it. The two IEM's are VERY similar sounding. HF5 has just a pinch more bass and is generally less fatiguing, just slightly warmer and sounds better unamped than ER4P. Plus HF5 ergonomics and cable noise are superior to ER4P.

You might want to hold out for the new MC5 which should be out within the next month or so.

Mar 5, 2010 at 4:55 PM Post #141 of 567
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, exactly.

I would not bother with ER4P unless you are amping it. The two IEM's are VERY similar sounding. HF5 has just a pinch more bass and is generally less fatiguing, just slightly warmer and sounds better unamped than ER4P. Plus HF5 ergonomics and cable noise are superior to ER4P.

You might want to hold out for the new MC5 which should be out within the next month or so.

You don't need an amp with the ER4P. Cable noise isn't an issue either, I don't think, and as for ergonomics, they fit my ears perfectly.

Mar 5, 2010 at 5:10 PM Post #143 of 567
Mar 5, 2010 at 5:15 PM Post #144 of 567
frown.gif

Shame they're not the S

Mar 5, 2010 at 5:29 PM Post #145 of 567
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bennyboy71 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You don't need an amp with the ER4P. Cable noise isn't an issue either, I don't think, and as for ergonomics, they fit my ears perfectly.

???? Glad you like your ER4P but he asked for comparisons with HF5 which you have never seen.

Fit may be the same but ER4P sticks out of you ears farther (housing design) and the cord is FAR more microphonic. These are facts.

Mar 5, 2010 at 6:56 PM Post #146 of 567
Thanks for the comparison Spyro. I can probably get the hf5 for 70 so i'll probably still save 10 squids and get some more hf5's.

@bennyboy71, I'm not crazy, I have had quite a few headphones in that price range and IMHO they are the best ones of the lot and I never plan to get a portable amp so i'm just sticking with a recipe i like.

Mar 22, 2010 at 11:48 AM Post #149 of 567
I can't comment on the shure's but I wouldn't call bass strong on either the sf3 or the hf5. With the best fit for each earphone there isn't a lot in it but i'd go with the sf3 for quantity alone. That being said I think the hf5 is a better phone all round hence i've just bought my second pair after the first were stolen and I am selling the sf3's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back