The Etymotics HF5 Thread
Dec 9, 2009 at 6:18 PM Post #106 of 567
I prefer Triple fi in detail, bass and treble. Also soundstage is much bigger on Triples. That is reason, why I also ordered one pair of triples for 100$
smily_headphones1.gif

Many people have problem with Triples fit, because they are quite big .

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Dec 10, 2009 at 2:36 AM Post #107 of 567
Been surfing the net looking for an IEM deal as good as my $50 ER6is from last December. Stumbled on the $99 TF10 dea (ordered)l, but am having doubts. Really wanted a pair of ER4Ps, but aren't willing to spend much more than $100. I've had SF 5 Pros (great sound) and have the SF 3 and 5EB -- all have the standard UE fit issues, but I end up with a decent fit. Their biggest issue is the cable separating from the housing, which has happened twice already. Love my ER6is fit, sound (little bit more bass would be nice), and their durability. Any comments regarding choosing the HF5 over the TF10? Yeah, I know the bass won't be as good, but other than that?

Dec 10, 2009 at 2:39 AM Post #108 of 567
Well they'll have better isolation and probably be more comfortable, as well as a flatter response (reports indicate that the TF10s have V-shaped freq response)

I know the TF10s and Hf5s are pretty much the same price, but I just jumped on the TF10 deal because it was such an amazing discount. I will probably go from them to ER-4P/S's.

Dec 10, 2009 at 2:44 AM Post #109 of 567
Quote:

Originally Posted by ksu06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Microphonics are kind of crazy though ... definitely have to use the shirt clip or else it's terrible.

I have been a-b ing these with a pair of Lenntek pro series from Costco $49,

To me they sound identical, the volume is greater on the Lenntek and the Lenntek doesn't have any of the cable noise the hf5 does.

I ordered some of the Tf10s from Amazon but it appears they're now back ordered.

I may get a backup pair of these Lenntek.

Dec 10, 2009 at 3:01 AM Post #110 of 567
I need to spend $100 on IEMs about as much as I need a hole in the head, but once you get something on the mind (for me it's isolating iems for the subway - hence the etys) it's hard to back off.

Obviously every jump in sound quality is worth it monetarily, but how much difference is there, really, between the HF5 and ER6i? It isn't a huge disparity in price, but $40 is $40 no matter which way you put it. The last time I made a headphone purchase I ended paying $200 more than my $50 budget and haven't regretted it for a second, but I was wondering "how much better" these are than their little brother/sister.

Dec 10, 2009 at 3:58 AM Post #112 of 567
Well since I don't hear any difference and no cable noise with the Lenntek I 'm going to keep them and send the hf5s back.

I ordered another pair of Lenntek from Costco and am waiting for the tf10s to ship.

Dec 12, 2009 at 12:27 AM Post #114 of 567
So I got the TF10 this morning ... my first thoughts:
-soundstage is definitely bigger with the TF10, definitely not one of the HF5's strong suits
-of course more bass quantity with the TF10, and details in both the high treble and lower bass are better
-the thing that bothers me: MIDS ... really weird sensation, they definitely sound recessed in comparison to the HF5, and it kind of bothers me
-also, fit and comfort is much better with HF5, if I decide to keep the TF10, I am definitely going with customs

so basically so far, i find the TF10 better than the HF5 in most respects except MIDS and fit/comfort ... i think i can alleviate the fit issue with customs, now the question is whether i can live with the mids

so yeah, mids of the HF5 rock, no doubt about it!

Dec 12, 2009 at 12:49 AM Post #116 of 567
Quote:

-the thing that bothers me: MIDS ... really weird sensation, they definitely sound recessed in comparison to the HF5, and it kind of bothers me

For the longest time I thought they were recessed but the longer I listened.....I mean vocals still sound great with TFP10 (IMHO). I find the midrange kind of cloudy and veiled, not necessarily recessed. Yes, it is strange.

Dec 12, 2009 at 4:06 AM Post #117 of 567
I'm still waiting for my TF10 (expected next Friday....and I got the price down to $50). I own the HF5, the E530 by Shure and Denon D2000. I never considered myself a mids listener, but the older I've gotten (early 40s) the more I've grown to appreciate the mids. With that said, the etymotics are currently my favorite of all the phones I own. I don't know if that will change once my TF10s come in, but if you guys are saying the mids are way recessed, I already know I want like them much. This is the main reason I don rank the Shure's higher (I love the bass on the E530s, but they seem to overpower the mids a tad too much for me. I like the bass on the D2000 and think they are good cans, but the mids are far too recessed for me. I've always been a a basshead, that is why I'm shocked that I now prefer an earphone generally not thought to have much bass. But I've found that not to be totally true with the HF5s. I use the small (or medium if the smalls are being clean) Shure black olives on my HF5s, and they give a nice solid tight bass. Granted, not overbearing as the etymotics are a balanced phone, but solid and tight! Now, on my 120 gig ipod classic (last year's model) if I eq to R&B, the bass definitely stands out on its own and is quite noticable. It is quite controlled, yet doesn't overpower the mids or treble (I don't care about treble that much at all, but i love the detail I hear there with HF5). The HF5s have an impedance listed at 16 ohms, so my understanding is: low impedance = more bass. If that's the case, it makes sense. I see on Amazon you can get an HF5 for as little as $106. I think that's one of the best bargains out there for a phone (if not the best) of the one I have actually heard. Once you get hook on that etymotic sound...I see what others mean. I'm fairly new to the earphone experience and new to this forum... Now, I'm really interested in what the grado gr8 and Japanese ortofon e-q7 sound like, but not ready to spend $300 or $400 on earphones unless they can blow Shure, Ultimate Ears, Westone and especially Etymotic out the water (considering I've spent a $100 or less for the Etymotics and UE TF10s). But if it's proven they are far better than what I have, I will take the plunge. Oh, I think my love for mid-range - now that I think of it - has developed from my loudspeakers that I've owned since '99 -- B&W's Nautilus 804s. By far the best mid-range I've heard on any loudspeaker. It's like Miles' trumpet and Billie's voice are actually in my living room, and I don't even have the top of the line cables connected to them. Love this forum.

Dec 12, 2009 at 6:12 AM Post #118 of 567
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For the longest time I thought they were recessed but the longer I listened.....I mean vocals still sound great with TFP10 (IMHO). I find the midrange kind of cloudy and veiled, not necessarily recessed. Yes, it is strange.

YES! CLOUDY was definitely the word I was looking for. To me, that created a sense of recession as I had a harder time pinpointing where the mids were coming from. But yes, definitely CLOUDY.

Dec 12, 2009 at 12:39 PM Post #119 of 567
Quote:

YES! CLOUDY was definitely the word I was looking for. To me, that created a sense of recession as I had a harder time pinpointing where the mids were coming from. But yes, definitely CLOUDY.

The cloudy midrange is the only problem I have with TFP10 soundwise. Other than that I find it exceptional. I wonder if UE did that intentional to make the presentation so smooth and non-fatiguing?

Oops, sorry, this is HF5 thread.....

Jan 1, 2010 at 6:27 PM Post #120 of 567
Speaking of the HF2/HF5, has anyone tried them with the Comply Foam T-100 or Tx-100 ear tips? I know that with the T-500 eartips, I was finally able to get a decent ear fit with my Ultimate Ears Super.fi 3 Studio IEMs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back