The Entry Level Stax Thread
Nov 11, 2017 at 4:27 PM Post #2,806 of 3,322
Nov 11, 2017 at 7:23 PM Post #2,807 of 3,322
Stax support in the U.S. is non-existent. It's shameful that this long time company can't get a proper dealer/service/parts network going in the U.S.

I'm currently sitting on (not literally) a 407 with a broken headband (well known Lambda problem). Can't find anyone to buy a new one from, including the bumbling dealer I bought the 407s from. Instead of helping, they whine and complain to me that they can't get parts.

Though I love the performance of my 404LE, I have no plans to invest any deeper into Stax products.
So U.S. support technically exists, but the dealers can't get the parts from STAX to service them. That's interesting...

And thanks for the reply, appreciate it.

Nov 17, 2017 at 12:51 AM Post #2,810 of 3,322
I don't recall seeing too many l300 vs 407 comparisons here, has anybody that has heard both of them like to write their opinions?
The traditional Lambda series headphones and the current Lblah ones sound pretty different overall from my experience. The Lblah ones sound quite a bit warmer to me overall from the L300 to the L700. My favorite of the current line is the L500 since it's in the middle in terms of sound quality (L300 is a bit too warm-sounding, L700 is a bit too bright).

Compared to the 407, the L300 sounds less like an electrostatic headphone to me and more like a dynamic to be honest. The treble is grainier-sounding and the overall sound signature tilts to the warm side. All the Lblah headphones to me sound like they have a looser-sounding bass response compared to the traditional Lambdas.

Iono, maybe it's just me, but I find the current series to be more of a side-grade from the original Lamda sound signature than an improvement per se.

Nov 17, 2017 at 1:57 AM Post #2,812 of 3,322
I personally found the 407s to be the most "shouty" of the X07 series, which to me is a brash/harsh sound possibly attributed to the rise at 1khz that all lambdas seem to have. but more so here. It makes female vocals feel too close, almost in your head kind of sound.
the 407 has more highs & is more airy than the L300, which may lead one to believe there to be better resolution&micro details. But I personally much prefer the L300s due to them being warmer and having my preferred sound stage (farther in front of my head).

I feel like your decision basically comes down to whether you prefer a bright or warm (although still bright of neutral) sound.
Also I find the 407 to be more comfortable and this is not just due to pads, the LX00 series puts more pressure near the top of the pads due to a new chassis design)

Nov 17, 2017 at 9:56 AM Post #2,813 of 3,322
I personally found the 407s to be the most "shouty" of the X07 series, which to me is a brash/harsh sound possibly attributed to the rise at 1khz that all lambdas seem to have. but more so here. It makes female vocals feel too close, almost in your head kind of sound.
the 407 has more highs & is more airy than the L300, which may lead one to believe there to be better resolution&micro details. But I personally much prefer the L300s due to them being warmer and having my preferred sound stage (farther in front of my head).

I feel like your decision basically comes down to whether you prefer a bright or warm (although still bright of neutral) sound.
Also I find the 407 to be more comfortable and this is not just due to pads, the LX00 series puts more pressure near the top of the pads due to a new chassis design)
If you thought the 407 was shouty, you probably won't like the 507 either. Most people I've talked to don't like the 507 for that reason. XD

Good point on the imaging! I do agree that the current series tend to have more centered-imaging compared to the traditional Lambdas. Also a good point on the new headband design. I was having a hard time getting the L300 to seal on my head since, yes, it does put more pressure towards the top of the pads versus the whole pad area.

Nov 17, 2017 at 10:32 AM Post #2,814 of 3,322
The traditional Lambda series headphones and the current Lblah ones sound pretty different overall from my experience. The Lblah ones sound quite a bit warmer to me overall from the L300 to the L700. My favorite of the current line is the L500 since it's in the middle in terms of sound quality (L300 is a bit too warm-sounding, L700 is a bit too bright).

Compared to the 407, the L300 sounds less like an electrostatic headphone to me and more like a dynamic to be honest. The treble is grainier-sounding and the overall sound signature tilts to the warm side. All the Lblah headphones to me sound like they have a looser-sounding bass response compared to the traditional Lambdas.

Iono, maybe it's just me, but I find the current series to be more of a side-grade from the original Lamda sound signature than an improvement per se.

Are you sure you didn't confuse L300 and L700?
My impressions are the exact opposite. L300 has mindblowing clarity, L700 is much warmer and sounds almost like a dynamic headphone.

Nov 17, 2017 at 1:01 PM Post #2,815 of 3,322
Are you sure you didn't confuse L300 and L700?
My impressions are the exact opposite. L300 has mindblowing clarity, L700 is much warmer and sounds almost like a dynamic headphone.
I found the L700 to sound more like the SR-009 than the other Lambdas, and I've generally not like the 009's sound.

The L300's sound is more like a faster, and more trebley HD650 in sound signature from when I heard it.

Nov 17, 2017 at 8:51 PM Post #2,816 of 3,322
Likewise I also found the L300 to be my prefered set, I have compared them with the 500 and 700, and walked out of the store with the 300.

Price aside, it does sound like the most fun to listen to.

Nov 22, 2017 at 1:01 PM Post #2,817 of 3,322
FYI for those trying to get Stax parts from Electromod UK, I "may" have successfully completed a replacement headband order for my 407. Their site allowed me to register, place an order, and PayPal it. No confirmation or acknowledgement, however, just my PayPal receipt. Parts are supposed to drop ship from Japan (I'm in US). My PayPal uses my Amex, so I can reverse charge if necessary.

Jan 5, 2018 at 8:33 AM Post #2,820 of 3,322
Hello there !

I did finally get the King Sound KS-04 and portable M3. Sounds awesome ! Very neutral, not bright but not very high volume.

But as always...I am now looking into a STAX combo. Looking into the SRD - X Pro portable amplifier - from ebay or the SRM T1 - from ebay. On the earspeaker side the L-700 or SR-007A.

Would it work ? How good ?

It seems I could also use the KS M3 with the L-700 and/or the SR-007. How would that work ? Any experience.

Or if not, what would be the most appropriate and not too expensive amp for the L-700 - 353x?

Sorry many doubts !

I would like a relatively Bright and Detailed sound, as a complement to my KingSound arrangement.

Please your help - recommendations much appreciated !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back