Stax SR-L300 Impressions Thread
Nov 26, 2017 at 1:33 PM Post #391 of 1,163
It's not uncommon for top-of-the-line electrostatic amps to cost $5,000-10,000 and beyond. These are obviously not necessary for entry-level STAX headphones. You can get by just fine with the SRM-252S, though most of us would want to eventually upgrade.

I also had an SRM-212 (along with some electrostatic and electret converters), which apparently has the same circuit as the SRM-252S.

To make matters confusing, STAX is coming out with a DAC/amp that's also called SRM212. (Looks like they removed the dash and think that's enough to differentiate it even though it's the same name.)

https://www.innerfidelity.com/conte...2-prototype-electrostatic-headphone-amplifier

CES2016_Stax_Photo_SRM212.jpg

Nov 26, 2017 at 5:22 PM Post #392 of 1,163
Guys - still enjoying my L300s. However, I have started to take notice of something.

1. There is something a bit strange in the treble. Its as if its a big zingy / hard at a certain point
2. Has anyone ever gotten a headache wearing these? Clamp doesn't feel tight, but it might be the pressure against my jaw or something. I just end up with headaches sometimes when I listen to them, which makes it impossible to enjoy music when that happens. Maybe its just coincidental.

Nov 26, 2017 at 5:23 PM Post #393 of 1,163
It's almost 1 year since I bought 3100 system, so I would like to share some impressions and problems that I've encountered with L300. This is not a review, but more like observations from someone who is not an audiophile, but more of a music lover and someone who jumped from Koss Porta Pro & Grado SR60e straight into Stax 3100 system (I actually had Hifiman 400S for a week, but did not like sound much and they had broken cable - so I returned them). And I also listen at lower volumes - I certainly don't blast music into my ears.

Alright, I actually heard Stax 407 in shop demo before I bought L300. And I must say, I wasn't all that impressed - in fact, I think I liked Sennheiser 598 more. I also liked NAD VISO HP50 - so smooth and easy sound, but the worst comfort - I had to hold cups with both hands to get them on my ears and to sound good.

Still, I decided to buy 3100 system - influenced by Zeos, but also by other reviews saying how effortless electrostats sound. I had experience with various DSP (SRS WOW HD, DFX sound enhancer etc.) - so I could always EQ them if I don't like them stock, and 407 demo showed me that there wasn't anything terribly wrong with sound that I could detect.

When 3100 system arrived, I started to listen - wasn't bad - but I wasn't blown away. Reading about burn in and various warm up time - I decided to let them play during night. I soon discovered that they can go REALLY LOUD - I did not want sound to be heard from other rooms, so I put L300 on my bed and put many layers of pillow, sheets etc. on them to tame volume. Still - it was quite loud.

And that's when I started to hear beautiful melodies coming from L300s. It was night, I remember lying on the bed, being curled up and listening to the sound that was coming from them, despite being buried under those bed pillows and other stuff - and that's when I was blown away - I was like: so, that's what music is SUPPOSED to sound like.

Then I was blasting them as speakers when nobody was at home - it felt like whole room was filled with beautiful sound. Good memories.

Problem was when I put them on head and started to using them as headphones, which is their primary function - they felt kind of dull and lifeless to me. I was wondering - why can't they sound like they do when I use them as speakers?

A bit fast forward, I tried various EQ and DSP to make them sound better for me (I found out I generally like V-shape - perhaps due to Fletcher–Munson curve). Sometimes I felt they sound really good - when I was completely absorbed by music (and sometimes thinking: so THIS is why Stax is being so praised - I was having blast :) ). Then the next day I could not get the same feeling like I did yesterday - which drove me nuts - why they sometimes sound so damn good and sometimes they do not? Is it power? DAC? Amplifier? Mood? I think found out - keep reading.

When I was putting them on I managed to break headband - you can see my struggle with the damn metal tube. I bought replacement from local Stax distributor - so now I am using L300 with 207 headband. While I was waiting for new headband, I was using them with broken headband - I had to hold one side with hand but otherwise they sounded good. Very good - in fact I felt I could consistently get this good sound from them, which I then kind of lost when I installed new headband (again - sometimes they sounded good, sometimes not so good)

I also realized that they don't sound as good as I remembered them as speakers - the bass was clipping and they did not sound as loud. You can see my post about this here. I tried dehumidifier - which helped, but did not get rid of this. So 1 month ago I finally sent them to warranty service - and both drivers got exchanged. Buying from local dealer rather from Japan paid off in this case.

I was also looking for a way to improve comfort - 407 I tried in shop felt better than L300. I found out that putting some cloth on headpad, which effectively increases my head size - quite helped. I decided to buy ZMF Pilot pad to replace ugly blue cloth and L700 pads to see what will happen. I felt that with L700 pads L300 lost some of the sub bass (but if u push cups with your hands you get sub bass like with L300 pads) but soundstage seemed to increase - anyway I did not have much time testing it because that's when I sent them to warranty repair.

When L300 with new drivers came, I thought I hear more details than before - but it could also by affected by different EQ & different input for DAC (optical now).

Now, to the important part - I think I have finally discovered why sometimes L300 sounds so damn good and other time I can't get them to sound that good: For me, it seems like L300 has sweet spot that needs to be matched otherwise they lose their magic! For me, it's in the top corner - see picture:

P_20171126_224905.jpg

(Left cup, yellow ellipse is imprint from glasses, if you look closely)

When you google Stax 507 measurement, you will find this picture:
index.php

Yellow one is bad seal, red one is good seal. As you can see, there is huge null in 8,5kHz area - this exactly what I hear in frequency sweep when I'm not in sweet spot. According to others, this happens you don't have perfect seal - however, even when I push cups really hard to my head (which should create better seal) and I am not in sweet spot, I still get this null. If I am in sweet spot, this null is greatly reduced (it's still detectable, but it's much much better). Problem was that I have small head - so I always had ears in bottom part or mid part, not in top part. When I broke that headband, I was actually having ears in top part corner - that's why I was probably getting good sound. Now with ZMF Pilot pad, which increases my head size, I get my ears to top part easily, I don't even use L700 at the moment.

Here is picture of some of my old EQ when I did not have pilot pad:
oldeq.jpg

You can see 20db peak at 8,5Khz to compensate for this - and it still wasn't perfect. Null was still there. But it helped a bit so I did not worry about it that much. Btw, when you put hands before drivers, it seems like null is lifted – but you can’t listen like that, of course.

Now, some picture of L300 with ZMF Pilot pad:

P_20171126_224756.jpg P_20171126_224830.jpg

I guess that's it. Right now I use combination of EQ Peace APO and DSP "Hear" by Prosoft. And I am happy.

So, in conclusion, I love my L300, but it was quite a long journey. I am glad I discovered this sweet spot - I can now consistently get good sound from them. I hope this helps someone, who is perhaps having similar problem.

Couple of other things I'd like to mention:

- iFi iPower works with 252S amp and it increased clarity compared to stock 230V brick that came with in here in EU. Overall I recommend it.

- I bought Stax 003 mk1 in-ear while I was waiting for L300 repair. They do not not have 8,5kHz null, they are quite comfortable for my ears and I think they were more of a thing I was looking for (at first) rather than L300 - more similar to Koss Porta Pro, in sense of more intimate sound rather than bigger L300. Less troublesome than L300, I got them sounding good (again with EQ) much quicker than L300. I feel that for some songs 003 is better than L300 and L300 is better for others songs.

- if you google “Calculate EQ settings to transform frequency response of one headphone into another!” you can find tool which transform FR of your headphone into another, based on Innerfidelity graphs. It doesn’t work well, but’s fun to play with.

Nov 26, 2017 at 6:21 PM Post #394 of 1,163
There is something a bit strange in the treble. Its as if its a big zingy / hard at a certain point

I mentioned that the most prominent peaks in Lambdas are in the 7-10 kHz range. Play that frequency sweep I shared in a video player to see/hear what I mean. It's easily fixed with EQ.

Has anyone ever gotten a headache wearing these? Clamp doesn't feel tight, but it might be the pressure against my jaw or something. I just end up with headaches sometimes when I listen to them, which makes it impossible to enjoy music when that happens. Maybe its just coincidental.

The clamp was tighter than most headphones for me, but nothing painful. Older Lambdas are much looser. (Now, the vintage on-ear electret STAX SR-30 is painfully uncomfortable.)

Then I was blasting them as speakers when nobody was at home - it felt like whole room was filled with beautiful sound. Good memories.

Ha! I did that too, with an SR-207 in 2015.

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2017 at 7:29 PM Post #395 of 1,163
https://www.staxaudio.com/earpad/stax-ep-l700-earpad

Is this where I should get the stax l700 earpads? I saw some on ebay for like 160$.. So not sure which prices are legit?

I think my issue with L300 comfort is that they hurt my jaw over time. I have no idea if the pads will fix that, but it would be nice if it did.

@Music Alchemist I don't like EQ'ing, and really the treble isn't really an issue as such. Just notice it in certain tracks, but generally a non issue imo.

Nov 27, 2017 at 9:01 PM Post #396 of 1,163
Nov 28, 2017 at 6:56 AM Post #398 of 1,163
120$ is an excellent price for them
Any reason I shouldn't purchase on that site then? Seems like they have the by far best price and are an official retailer, no ?

Nov 28, 2017 at 8:13 AM Post #399 of 1,163
Any reason I shouldn't purchase on that site then? Seems like they have the by far best price and are an official retailer, no ?
Seems like a good idea, especially at this price.

Nov 30, 2017 at 12:03 PM Post #401 of 1,163
Awesome @nazrin313 ! :D

I will tell you that my enjoyment with the L300 was a bit of a bumpy ride. The comfort / clamp and a bit weird sounding treble first brought my thoughts about them down a bit, and after directly comparing to some of my other headphones, I was a tad bit underwhelmed - They didn't give me EMOTION like my other cans did.

Well, after listening for a few more days, adjusting fit and comfort, I have realized just how good these headphones are. The last 3 days have been pure audio nirvana for me. My only complaint really is bass impact for certain genres. For all else, these are perfect. I didn't think I would say it, but I don't think I will be buying more headphones. I will build everything around the L300s.

Nov 30, 2017 at 12:12 PM Post #402 of 1,163
Awesome @nazrin313 ! :D

I will tell you that my enjoyment with the L300 was a bit of a bumpy ride. The comfort / clamp and a bit weird sounding treble first brought my thoughts about them down a bit, and after directly comparing to some of my other headphones, I was a tad bit underwhelmed - They didn't give me EMOTION like my other cans did.

Well, after listening for a few more days, adjusting fit and comfort, I have realized just how good these headphones are. The last 3 days have been pure audio nirvana for me. My only complaint really is bass impact for certain genres. For all else, these are perfect. I didn't think I would say it, but I don't think I will be buying more headphones. I will build everything around the L300s.

Everything I have listened so far sounds good, and i listen to all sorts of music, EDM, Jazz, Blues, Pop, Indie, Down Tempo you name it.. everything sounds amazing. What I love about them (similarly why I love the LAB01s) is that it gives the music 'SOUL' and Character. This is the most important aspect for me.

listening to some EDM now, Feed Me's escape from electric mountain EP...guess what? AMAZING!!!

Dec 1, 2017 at 2:02 AM Post #403 of 1,163
ok, second day impressions, sound didnt change much from yesterday, still pretty awesome. Great thing is, my ears are now used to them touching the wire mesh and comfort is great! Dont think I need the the L700 pads after all. The only observation I found out that in some DSD tracks, the SRM252s amp didnt have enough omphh to power the L300. Everything sounded much muted and not enough volume..hmmm

Dec 1, 2017 at 7:41 AM Post #404 of 1,163
ok, second day impressions, sound didnt change much from yesterday, still pretty awesome. Great thing is, my ears are now used to them touching the wire mesh and comfort is great! Dont think I need the the L700 pads after all. The only observation I found out that in some DSD tracks, the SRM252s amp didnt have enough omphh to power the L300. Everything sounded much muted and not enough volume..hmmm
That doesn't sound right. I never go above twelve o clock and thats about as loud as I can handle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back