Stax SR-L300 Impressions Thread
Jun 5, 2017 at 9:12 AM Post #227 of 1,163
Wait, are you running 007 from 252S?
Aren't they power hungry?

SR 007 works perfectly from the amp. I have a srm 727 at home, this is better, but the srm 252 (ii) is certainly sufficient. Last week I compared it with the Audeze LCD 4 and both sounded very nice. I guess the the power you need depends on what you are listening too. I listen to classical music and opera and here the combo is more than sufficient.

The need for power was also the initial trigger to use the battery, I did not want the 'mediocre' wall plug which is more limited in current.

I like this combo (e.g. srm 252 and Sr 007) very much on equal level (roughly) as LCD 4

Jun 5, 2017 at 9:22 AM Post #229 of 1,163
SR 007 works perfectly from the amp. I have a srm 727 at home, this is better, but the srm 252 (ii) is certainly sufficient. Last week I compared it with the Audeze LCD 4 and both sounded very nice. I guess the the power you need depends on what you are listening too. I listen to classical music and opera and here the combo is more than sufficient.

The need for power was also the initial trigger to use the battery, I did not want the 'mediocre' wall plug which is more limited in current.

I like this combo (e.g. srm 252 and Sr 007) very much on equal level (roughly) as LCD 4
Did you ever get the chance to compare SQ battery vs. other power sources?

Jun 5, 2017 at 9:53 AM Post #230 of 1,163
Did you ever get the chance to compare SQ battery vs. other power sources?

Yes quickly. I was using the srm 252 first with the stax plug. What has changed it in my opinion that it is more authoritative w battery and less jammed. What do I mean with this?
More homogenous sound and coherent. I think that the SR 007 benefits in particular. The original idea to why doing came from a comment that the SRM 352 has the same schematics and that only the power source has changed. In this instance I thought, I get approx the same as a SRM 352 by powering SRM 252 differently.

Jun 5, 2017 at 10:46 AM Post #231 of 1,163
Yes quickly. I was using the srm 252 first with the stax plug. What has changed it in my opinion that it is more authoritative w battery and less jammed. What do I mean with this?
More homogenous sound and coherent. I think that the SR 007 benefits in particular. The original idea to why doing came from a comment that the SRM 352 has the same schematics and that only the power source has changed. In this instance I thought, I get approx the same as a SRM 352 by powering SRM 252 differently.
By "SRM 352" - did you mean "SRM-323S"?
I wonder if driving 252s from a Stax adapter connected to a UPS in battery mode (disconnected from AC) would result in similar improvements - or is the Stax adapter itself the problem?
In that case, Linear power supply could still be a good solution. Does anyone have an experience with using LPS with 252S?

Jun 5, 2017 at 11:04 AM Post #232 of 1,163
By "SRM 352" - did you mean "SRM-323S"?
I wonder if driving 252s from a Stax adapter connected to a UPS in battery mode (disconnected from AC) would result in similar improvements - or is the Stax adapter itself the problem?
In that case, Linear power supply could still be a good solution. Does anyone have an experience with using LPS with 252S?
yes - you might want to read https://www.head-case.org/forums/topic/10215-stax-and-other-electrostatic-amp-information/ you can see that srm252 approx srm353

Jun 7, 2017 at 7:58 PM Post #233 of 1,163
I received the L300 today, driving it with an old SRM-1 Mk2 PP. First impression - it sounds amazing. Incredibly smooth delivery and there is a nice low end too. I don't find it polite or boring sounding either. I had the 207 last year and the L300 seems a bit better, especially in the treble region. I thought the 207 could be a little harsh at times. Only complaint is the thin pads. The 207 pads were stiffer but at least there was sufficient padding. I ordered the L700 pads so that should be a big improvement on comfort.

Jun 9, 2017 at 1:56 PM Post #234 of 1,163
Hi,

does anyone know how to get case holder out of headband? According to linked pictures, it's held by a very small metal tube, but I just don't know how to get that tube out. It just stays here, poking it out doesn't work. Any ideas? Thanks.

Also here is a pic:
stax_pin.jpg
P_20170609_193850.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2017 at 3:26 AM Post #235 of 1,163
Can it be removed with allen key?
Where exactly is this?
Can't see this on my L300's.

Jun 10, 2017 at 7:15 AM Post #236 of 1,163
i had to push it out with sharp solder iron. Careful

Jun 12, 2017 at 8:46 AM Post #237 of 1,163
What do you guys use to store the headphones in? I live in a pretty dust-prone area, and so far I've been using the cardboard/styrofoam box that the headphones came in. It's too much of a hassle to take them out for every listening session. Plus, I doubt it will last very long.

Jun 12, 2017 at 11:21 AM Post #238 of 1,163
What do you guys use to store the headphones in? I live in a pretty dust-prone area, and so far I've been using the cardboard/styrofoam box that the headphones came in. It's too much of a hassle to take them out for every listening session. Plus, I doubt it will last very long.

I've been doing the same for now but it is inconvenient.....I think the best option would be to get the Stax headphone stand and dust cover. The stand is over a $100 though, and not sure if there is anything special about it over any other cheaper headphone stand besides having dimensions that fit more perfectly with the shape of the Lamda pads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back