Stax SR-L300 Impressions Thread
Jun 12, 2017 at 7:43 PM Post #242 of 1,163
what exactly is this mod?

1. Take the headphones in your hands
2. Rotate the headphones 180 degrees horizontally
3. Put the headphones on your head
4. Switch left and right RCA channels

Start listening with live performances, studio recordings may sound weird at first.

Jun 13, 2017 at 1:29 AM Post #243 of 1,163
I've been doing the same for now but it is inconvenient.....I think the best option would be to get the Stax headphone stand and dust cover. The stand is over a $100 though, and not sure if there is anything special about it over any other cheaper headphone stand besides having dimensions that fit more perfectly with the shape of the Lamda pads.
And it is for that very reason that I'm considering doing DIY (either a wooden stand or a box), even though I've never done anything like that before. Even pelican style cases are too expensive for someone like me who blew most of his expendable savings on the stax setup.

Jun 13, 2017 at 7:37 AM Post #246 of 1,163
So are the l700 pads better for sound quality?

I just got the pads yesterday and have to spend a little more time with them but I didn't detect any degradation in sound quality. The bass might be a little better actually because of the seal it creates. The comfort is superior though. My ears are not big or sticking out and the stock pads were just too thin. It's really not even a pad as there doesn't seem to be any padding! The L700 pad is a lot thicker. I suppose it might create a slightly larger soundstage because you are further away from the driver but it's hard for me to describe or detect such subtle changes in soundstage. In any event, the L300 is mighty impressive in its own right. What I like is that I can finally listen to rock music without wincing like I did with most dynamic headphones (a recent example is the Focal Elear). It's easier for headphones to handle acoustic or jazz, much trickier for rock, especially modern recordings.The L300 has a smooth and linear presentation - neutral but not in a dull way.

Jun 13, 2017 at 1:40 PM Post #247 of 1,163
it has been told many times, drivers are under cover foils
no way dust comes in!
unless you gonna pierce this protection :knife:

Jun 22, 2017 at 11:53 AM Post #249 of 1,163
i used heat, it has some teeth.

Attachments

• IMAG0391.jpg
    IMAG0391.jpg
    816.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMAG0390.jpg
    IMAG0390.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
Jun 28, 2017 at 10:42 AM Post #250 of 1,163
Hi!
New to this thread, and I'm wondering how the 3100-system will compare to my Focal Elear? Both in tonality and overall quality.
I feel like the Elears are pretty much end-game for me when it comes to "normal headphones", so I'm interested in electrostats.

Jun 28, 2017 at 11:25 AM Post #251 of 1,163
Hi!
New to this thread, and I'm wondering how the 3100-system will compare to my Focal Elear? Both in tonality and overall quality.
I feel like the Elears are pretty much end-game for me when it comes to "normal headphones", so I'm interested in electrostats.

I had the Elear for a brief time and it's definitely an exciting and dynamic headphone and nicely constructed, but you might find the L300 to have a smoother and more detailed presentation. The Elear will obviously have stronger bass but not as controlled as the L300. The L300 is not light on the bass though. There is nothing in the sound signature that annoys or stands out - everything is even and there is an immediacy to the sound that is similar to the Elear (sound stage is not huge). I find it really good for rock music, and it's not fatiguing. As lively as the Elear is I did find it a bit too much of a good thing at times, and I found myself constantly adjusting the volume on songs (not sure why, perhaps it was a way to tame the peaks and valleys of the sound). I currently have the L300 and pair it with an older Stax amp (SRM-1 Mk 2 PP) so not sure if the 252s driver unit would offer the same experience. However, from what I understand, the 252s is a very competent driver unit and should extract most of the potential out of the L300. The only disadvantage of the L300 is the build quality is not as good as the Elear but it is lightweight and comfortable - with the caveat being the pads are pretty thin and might bother you (I actually purchased L700 pads for them and the comfort is much better).

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2017 at 2:24 PM Post #253 of 1,163
@makne If you've never heard the unique estat sound presentation before, it'll be very be very hard to give you the proper impression through words alone.
I heard the Oslo Hi-Fi Center is a great place, although on the other side of Norway.

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2017 at 2:45 PM Post #254 of 1,163
@makne If you've never heard the unique estat sound presentation before, it'll be very be very hard to give you the proper impression through words alone.
I heard the Oslo Hi-Fi Center is a great place, although on the other side of Norway.
that is true, only retailer in Norway I believe. But as much as I want to hear a pair of eletrostats, driving 7 hours each eay is slightly too far for me :p

Jun 28, 2017 at 2:54 PM Post #255 of 1,163
I had the Elear for a brief time and it's definitely an exciting and dynamic headphone and nicely constructed, but you might find the L300 to have a smoother and more detailed presentation. The Elear will obviously have stronger bass but not as controlled as the L300. The L300 is not light on the bass though. There is nothing in the sound signature that annoys or stands out - everything is even and there is an immediacy to the sound that is similar to the Elear (sound stage is not huge). I find it really good for rock music, and it's not fatiguing. As lively as the Elear is I did find it a bit too much of a good thing at times, and I found myself constantly adjusting the volume on songs (not sure why, perhaps it was a way to tame the peaks and valleys of the sound). I currently have the L300 and pair it with an older Stax amp (SRM-1 Mk 2 PP) so not sure if the 252s driver unit would offer the same experience. However, from what I understand, the 252s is a very competent driver unit and should extract most of the potential out of the L300. The only disadvantage of the L300 is the build quality is not as good as the Elear but it is lightweight and comfortable - with the caveat being the pads are pretty thin and might bother you (I actually purchased L700 pads for them and the comfort is much better).
Thanks, very informative comparison!
It seems like you have a similar impression if the Elear like me, although I don't get fatigue from their extreme liveliness. The promise of a more gentle, super-detailed sound from eletrostats is enticing. The thing is, I never felt like the Elear was lacking in detail or imaging until I heard the Hifiman Susvara last week. Suddenly, it became clear to me how realistic and detailed music can sound. I know that tge Susvara isn't electrostatic, but from descriptions, it seems like they have a lot of the same qualities regarding detail retrieval. Btw, how is the soundstage depth and imaging of the stax? The Elear has a quite shallow soundstage and in-your-face imaging that gives a nice feeling of intimacy, but sometimes I wish for a little more depth and airiness (again, was never a problem until I heard the Susvara).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back