Stax SR-L300 Impressions Thread
Sep 4, 2017 at 12:43 PM Post #271 of 1,163
hmmm... some difference...
L300 pads are more flaccid, than 507.
but for me, comfort on 300 seems higher
too stiff pads may decrease wear comfort (at least for me)

issue with 300 pads is bass, underside has no seal to drivers...... not hard to fix

Sep 7, 2017 at 5:05 PM Post #273 of 1,163
hmmm... some difference...
L300 pads are more flaccid, than 507.
but for me, comfort on 300 seems higher
too stiff pads may decrease wear comfort (at least for me)

issue with 300 pads is bass, underside has no seal to drivers...... not hard to fix

Maybe we can use glad wrap under 300 pads to make better seal?
Time for mods.
:)

Sep 8, 2017 at 7:43 PM Post #274 of 1,163
Ok time for the best $1 mod for your L300's..

Always wanted a tad more bass thump and stax fart. Well this delivers...

1. Get some glad/cling wrap
2. Place thin sheet over driver.
3. Make small hole with your finger where driver is. Be careful not to damage your stax fly screen
4. Now place the stax ear pad to firmly click in
5. Use scissors carefully and cut around.
6. Place left over cling wrap around stax driver.
7. Extend the hole slightly by using your finger to cut excess cling wrap in middle.
8. Enjoy your stax fart and more thumping bass.

20170909_093639.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2017 at 3:52 PM Post #275 of 1,163
ZMF lambskin pads are in! Loving them so far, increased comfort and sound (imo) compared to the stock pads, and HM5 velour (used them until I got the ZMF).

I have a question about the Socas adapters:
I tried using the plastic plate of the stock earpads to mount the ZMF pads on, but I think they sound better without the plastic plate in between (mounted straight on the headphone cup). I guess this is because the plastic plate breaks the seal (and the backside of the stock pads usually seal the gap between the cup and the plate)?
Now if I get the Socas adapters, will they break the seal like the stock pad's plastic plate does? Because if that's the case, I'll just stick with mounting the pads straight on the cup.

Some other notes:
-Stock pads are crap for comfort after like 20 minutes.
-Changing pads does very little to the sound. Of course there is SOME difference in sound between pads, but nothing even close to what you'd experience with normal cans.
-Using thicker pads gives a more expansive soundstage to the point where it's pretty decent (using ZMF's gives a soundstage width around the same as the L700 and Elear).
-These REALLY need to warm up/charge up to sound good. First couple of hours they sounded straight bad, improved overnight.

Sep 14, 2017 at 6:18 PM Post #276 of 1,163
Actually, I have to change my opinion about the ZMF pads...
The ZMF pads introduce a harsh grain and sibilance around 7kHz that weren't as apparent at first, but became very clear to me upon further listening. This becomes even worse when using the stock plastic plates as I mentioned in the last post, but it's still there when mounting the pads straight on the cup. I'm not sure why this is, it can't be the seal because the ZMF pads seal better than the stock ones. I'm guessing it's changing the distance from ear to driver. It could also be because of changing the angle of the drivers (since the ZMF pads are angled), but I experienced the same thing with the flat HM5 velours.

I've gone back to using the stock pads, which almost erases this grain/sibilance. Actually, they also sound more resolved to me now. Comfort could be better though (reversing the plastic mesh helped though), and I wonder how the L300 would sound with L700 pads? Would they introduce the same problems I have with the ZMF pads? The L700 pads are not angled and not as thick as the ZMF's, so maybe I could get away with using them. It's a big gamble though, considering their cost. Anyone care to fill in?

Sep 14, 2017 at 9:28 PM Post #277 of 1,163
Actually, I have to change my opinion about the ZMF pads...
The ZMF pads introduce a harsh grain and sibilance around 7kHz that weren't as apparent at first, but became very clear to me upon further listening. This becomes even worse when using the stock plastic plates as I mentioned in the last post, but it's still there when mounting the pads straight on the cup. I'm not sure why this is, it can't be the seal because the ZMF pads seal better than the stock ones. I'm guessing it's changing the distance from ear to driver. It could also be because of changing the angle of the drivers (since the ZMF pads are angled), but I experienced the same thing with the flat HM5 velours.

I've gone back to using the stock pads, which almost erases this grain/sibilance. Actually, they also sound more resolved to me now. Comfort could be better though (reversing the plastic mesh helped though), and I wonder how the L300 would sound with L700 pads? Would they introduce the same problems I have with the ZMF pads? The L700 pads are not angled and not as thick as the ZMF's, so maybe I could get away with using them. It's a big gamble though, considering their cost. Anyone care to fill in?

I am using the L700 pads on the L300, its thick enough (and leather too) so my ear don't touch the headphones, but not so thick as to affect the sound in any noticeable way (from my point of view)

Sep 15, 2017 at 10:03 AM Post #278 of 1,163
I am using the L700 pads on the L300, its thick enough (and leather too) so my ear don't touch the headphones, but not so thick as to affect the sound in any noticeable way (from my point of view)
Thanks, did you ever try with other pads? I know a lot of people don't notice any real difference when swapping pads on these, but unfortunately I do. Would be awesome to see a comparison on L700 pads and ZMF/HM5.

Sep 15, 2017 at 10:08 AM Post #279 of 1,163
Thanks, did you ever try with other pads? I know a lot of people don't notice any real difference when swapping pads on these, but unfortunately I do. Would be awesome to see a comparison on L700 pads and ZMF/HM5.

Hi there, no I didn't go the route with the SOCAS adapter as I find it just too odd looking for me, and something not intended by the designer. :)

Sep 15, 2017 at 2:49 PM Post #280 of 1,163
Are these really as good as the hype? I'm close to purchasing some DT 1990s which I auditioned and loved, but .....

Actually, I don't even know why I am asking. It's not like I can afford a pair of Stax!

Feel free to lie.

Sep 15, 2017 at 3:57 PM Post #281 of 1,163
Feel free to lie.

Yo momma walked into a bar with a Priest, a Rabbi, and a Stax salesman :)

(if you didn't laugh at that, I got nothin' for ya)

Sep 15, 2017 at 5:09 PM Post #282 of 1,163
Are these really as good as the hype? I'm close to purchasing some DT 1990s which I auditioned and loved, but .....

Actually, I don't even know why I am asking. It's not like I can afford a pair of Stax!

Feel free to lie.
They're crap!!

No seriously, the things they do well, they do extremely well. Detail retrieval, resolution, transparency, and very precise imaging, all in a different league compared to dynamics/planars.

I sold my elears to get the 3100 after demo'ing it.
In hindsight I feel like the 3100 lack the dynamics, the engaging sound of the Elear. I also miss the slightly warm tonality of the Elear, I'd say the L300 is pretty darn neutral (maybe even a liiittle bit bright?). That's why I actually just ordered a new pair of elears lol... But the clarity of Stax is still next level.

Sometimes the 3100's treble is a little offending to my ears, just a little sibilant and harsh overtone to vocals. That's only on certain recordings though, and my ears are very treble sensitive. Personally, I'm planning on getting That, plus the e-stat lack of dynamic slam, is the only "weaknesses" I've found.

Sep 16, 2017 at 2:29 AM Post #283 of 1,163
They're ****!!

No seriously, the things they do well, they do extremely well. Detail retrieval, resolution, transparency, and very precise imaging, all in a different league compared to dynamics/planars.

I sold my elears to get the 3100 after demo'ing it.
In hindsight I feel like the 3100 lack the dynamics, the engaging sound of the Elear. I also miss the slightly warm tonality of the Elear, I'd say the L300 is pretty darn neutral (maybe even a liiittle bit bright?). That's why I actually just ordered a new pair of elears lol... But the clarity of Stax is still next level.

Sometimes the 3100's treble is a little offending to my ears, just a little sibilant and harsh overtone to vocals. That's only on certain recordings though, and my ears are very treble sensitive. Personally, I'm planning on getting That, plus the e-stat lack of dynamic slam, is the only "weaknesses" I've found.
... i guess your l300 are unmodded .... stock has no seal under pads
i modded seal under pads, and bass is serious.

well...2µm stat diafragms will copy exactly what is coming from amp. harmonics to n-th degree

dynamic ph. have glued heavy coils to thick diafragm, and the movement is asymetrical ,one sided magnet - where stats are true symmetric pushpull - static force is across WHOLE diafragm
IMO, dynamic can have cone breakup issues too just like speakers - same geometry -- probably reason why you dont see big drivers there..

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2017 at 6:08 PM Post #284 of 1,163
How much difference can the power supply on the amp make for the sound?

No matter what I do, I can't make my 3100-system sound as good as I remember from my demo session. I don't think I'm missing any resolution, but the sharp 7k-region is still there on some recordings, and is something I never picked up on when I demo'ed the 3100. Wondering if it could be my power supply's fault, as I got a cheap (20$) universal power supply from a local shop (Norway). The voltage, current, plug and polarity is correct, but could there be any sort of quality issue that causes this harsh 7k-region? Would it be worth it to get an Ifi power supply?

If no one answers this, I'll probably order an Ifi iPower anyway lol... I can definitely hear the quality, the resolution, the potential I remember from my demo session, but the 7k harshness ruins the overall impression a little.

Sep 16, 2017 at 11:08 PM Post #285 of 1,163

Users who are viewing this thread

Back