The Entry Level Stax Thread
Jun 28, 2016 at 3:20 AM Post #2,146 of 3,322

Brains and computers are very different.

https://aeon.co/essays/your-brain-does-not-process-information-and-it-is-not-a-computer

Regardless, as measuring devices go, the human ear is a rubber micrometer. Sensitive, but no kind of reliable.

And what could that possibly have to do with whether bit perfect means what it sounds like it means?

People who are deeply invested in woo and mysticism about audio gear say a lot of nonsense about how digital audio must surely be getting mangled as it enters or exits one board level component or other -- and it's just that. nonsense.

A given DAC may perform better than another. There may in fact be jitter in the bitstream but a reclocking DAC does in fact solve that problem entirely.

If someone tries to give you some simplistic math for how bits are being lost as they go from a memory buffer to an output device, chances are very good that they (a) don't understand the problem, or (b) are whinging about a problem that was solved 30 years ago in mid-level gear and has been industry standard even on the cheapest devices for at least 25 years.

Well, you're being quite combative with all your nonsense so that's no fun. So I'll just point you to some reading materials:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/766347/schiit-yggdrasil-impressions-thread/2220#post_12453511

If you do wish a useful discussion on this, please stop talking down to people and avoid colorful terms like "woo", "mysticism" or "nonsense"... Others can do the same trick on you, and you're not likely to appreciate it.

Jun 28, 2016 at 5:02 AM Post #2,147 of 3,322
  Just curious for those knowledgeable about Stax's product line, what would be the logical upgrade from the 2170?   I would think the 5100 system.  It's out of my league for now, and am greatly enjoying the 2170 anyway, but excited that I made the leap to Stax and will definitely be looking at other systems in the future.  

Logical upgrade would be to start working on KG DIY amp and save up for an omega frame headphone (SR-007 or 009). Those are the two biggest jumps you're going to get in sound. 207 is a fantastic lambda, and you may be both happy and disappointed that it is so close to it's more expensive counterparts in the same series. You could also delve into the older stuff like the famous Nova Signature or give the new L-series a try if you want to stick with lambdas. You could also upgrade the power supply on your current amp which is historically the weak point of STAX amps.

Personally, I want to hear more impressions and see measurements of the new L-300. If it continues the tradition of the 207 but with the new driver updates, then it could really be something.

Jun 28, 2016 at 10:48 AM Post #2,150 of 3,322

Well, you're being quite combative with all your nonsense so that's no fun. So I'll just point you to some reading materials:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/766347/schiit-yggdrasil-impressions-thread/2220#post_12453511

If you do wish a useful discussion on this, please stop talking down to people and avoid colorful terms like "woo", "mysticism" or "nonsense"... Others can do the same trick on you, and you're not likely to appreciate it.

OK. 

That post talks about attenuation in optical fiber and the sensitivity threshold of photodiodes - exactly the sort of thing I'm talking about when i referred to problems that were solved 30 years ago. When we first saw toslink devices, admittedly some of them were on the edge of not good enough for CDDA. 

But for the last 20+ years, devices that are good enough for 24/192 bitstreams are commonplace as they are required for DVD audio. 

Optical receivers that are bit perfect at 10gbps over distances of many miles (admittedly on glass rather than the plastic used for audio) have been around for at least 10 years now. 1gbps fiber ethernet transceivers are less than a hundred bucks. Digital audio symbol rates are very, very slow compared to these technologies. Don't underestimate the sensitivity of a toslink receiver. 

Edit: Also, plastic optical fiber is good for 1 kilometer of transmission. Your 3 foot lengths are no big deal. 

Jun 30, 2016 at 6:18 PM Post #2,151 of 3,322
So, I've had my 2170 system for a bit over a month now, and they have supplanted every "regular" headphone in my collection as my daily driver of choice.

I mainly listen to EDM at the moment (Deadmau5), and crinkly or crunchy sound effects seem to play especially nice with the Electrostat driver speed. That being said, I tried many other genres as well, and haven't yet run across a genre they don't do well.

The 207's are NOT bass cannons, but they most definitely aren't lacking, either. They don't quite have the sheer bass volume of my X2's, which will tickle the back of my neck. But the speed and accuracy are greatly enhanced, which I find more pleasing overall.

I'm absolutely loving my baby Stax so far, and I'll be trying to catch up on this whole thread in the next couple months to glean impressions on other models in the *cough* "entry" line.

Jun 30, 2016 at 6:57 PM Post #2,152 of 3,322
Agreed on the 2170. I've had them for about a month too and they are fantastic. It's hard to go back to dynamic headphones. I am so curious though to try out the rest of the Lambda series. I might start saving up for the L700 as that seems to be a Lambda on another level and close to the legendary 009.

Jul 1, 2016 at 2:14 AM Post #2,153 of 3,322
  Just curious for those knowledgeable about Stax's product line, what would be the logical upgrade from the 2170?   I would think the 5100 system.  It's out of my league for now, and am greatly enjoying the 2170 anyway, but excited that I made the leap to Stax and will definitely be looking at other systems in the future.  

Before spending any additional $$ what you need to do is find a way to try out the more expensive models - the difference in quality is rather small in my opinion - many disagree - but I think most agree that there is very serious decline in performance per $ above the 407 range.

Jul 1, 2016 at 4:20 AM Post #2,154 of 3,322
  Before spending any additional $$ what you need to do is find a way to try out the more expensive models - the difference in quality is rather small in my opinion - many disagree - but I think most agree that there is very serious decline in performance per $ above the 407 range.

Thanks for the input! Sadly, there are no meets or stores close to my area...so giving the different models a personal listen would be pretty much impossible. I'm largely dependent on others' impressions :/

Jul 3, 2016 at 3:37 AM Post #2,155 of 3,322
Has anyone else compared the SR-207 and SR-L700?

I should be receiving an inheritance soon. Depending on circumstances, I might be inclined toward the latter as my next step instead of getting another SR-207. I've read most of the online impressions already. Hoping for a more in-depth comparison.

Jul 3, 2016 at 5:39 PM Post #2,157 of 3,322
Hi guys, does anyone have any experience with the site "smartimports.net"? They seem to offer the best prices i can find anywhere, but i'm also having a really hard time finding  feedback on the company.

http://www.smartimports.net/stax-srs-3100-earspeaker-and-driver-unit-set/

Jul 3, 2016 at 9:06 PM Post #2,158 of 3,322
I've never had the 207, but I've had the 407 and the L700, and have a 507 coming from Justin Wilson at Headamp this week.

The L700, to me, was a very easy headphone to listen to, a jack-of-all-trades with high sound quality.  It's easily a bargain at its price; it could be called a less-expansive (and also less expensive), more "normal" 009.

The problem is, for me, I was/am looking for the more traditional Lambda sound quality, which I think of as less rounded and more analytical and dry and yes, even at times and with certain source material, bright.  So I'm replacing the L700 that I had last autumn with a 507 while the 507 is still available.

So, I'd say the L700 is great, and sounds less Lambda-like, and is possibly more musical and less analytical.  Whether or not it's what you want, who knows, you'll have to see.  Think of it as a more refined 207-307-407-507??  Or else simply a sideways move.

Jul 7, 2016 at 2:35 AM Post #2,159 of 3,322
Has anyone else compared the SR-207 and SR-L700?

I should be receiving an inheritance soon. Depending on circumstances, I might be inclined toward the latter as my next step instead of getting another SR-207. I've read most of the online impressions already. Hoping for a more in-depth comparison.

My take on them here:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/676272/the-entry-level-stax-thread/2025#post_12584608

They seem more like a side-grade to me since it doesn't really carry the typical Lambda sound signature.

Hi guys, does anyone have any experience with the site "smartimports.net"? They seem to offer the best prices i can find anywhere, but i'm also having a really hard time finding  feedback on the company.

http://www.smartimports.net/stax-srs-3100-earspeaker-and-driver-unit-set/

I got my SRS-2170 from Smartimports, though from eBay instead of their website. I'd recommend them since they had good communication with me.

Jul 7, 2016 at 3:14 AM Post #2,160 of 3,322
My take on them here:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/676272/the-entry-level-stax-thread/2025#post_12584608

They seem more like a side-grade to me since it doesn't really carry the typical Lambda sound signature.
I got my SRS-2170 from Smartimports, though from eBay instead of their website. I'd recommend them since they had good communication with me.

Nice write up, thanks! I'm really impressed with my 2170 system, and may try a slight EQ on it as you suggest. It doesn't sound bass-light to me by any means, but just a touch more volume would be just about perfect. I have no complaints besides that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back