The Entry Level Stax Thread
Jul 7, 2016 at 2:13 PM Post #2,161 of 3,322
My take on them here:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/676272/the-entry-level-stax-thread/2025#post_12584608

They seem more like a side-grade to me since it doesn't really carry the typical Lambda sound signature.

Yes, I read that when you first shared it here. I'm the one who asked you to, remember? 
bigsmile_face.gif
(That's why I said "has anyone else" in my request.)

So do you feel (as most do) that the L700 is closer to the 009 in sound quality, or do you feel the L700 is closer to the 207 instead? (When I say sound quality, I don't just mean sound signature.) You did say that you agree it approaches the sound quality of the 009, but some things you said seem to imply the opposite.

I don't believe you clarified earlier, so I'll ask now: How long were you able to compare them? Which types of music did you listen to? (I always try to compare with all the types of music I can.)

Jul 8, 2016 at 1:50 AM Post #2,162 of 3,322
So do you feel (as most do) that the L700 is closer to the 009 in sound quality, or do you feel the L700 is closer to the 207 instead? (When I say sound quality, I don't just mean sound signature.) You did say that you agree it approaches the sound quality of the 009, but some things you said seem to imply the opposite.

I don't believe you clarified earlier, so I'll ask now: How long were you able to compare them? Which types of music did you listen to? (I always try to compare with all the types of music I can.)

I thought it was closer to the SR-009 yes, but the 009 is still in a different league: more expansive soundstage, better instrument separation, smoother treble, faster-sounding.

I compared them for about 30 minutes total, listening to a pretty diverse testing playlist (soul, rock, electronic, "world," choral, pop, hip-hop, 16/44.1 to DSD128).

Jul 9, 2016 at 5:21 PM Post #2,163 of 3,322
My 2170 seems to be opening up a bit more and sounds a richer in the mids now. Maybe it's just my perception has changed. I probably have about 15 hours on them. I don't have an opinion on burn in for headphones but is the concept the same for electrostatic headphones? Interested to hear if other Stax owners have noticed subtle changes in sound over time.

Jul 9, 2016 at 8:16 PM Post #2,164 of 3,322
Stax does sound better after being plugged in for a few days. I forget the reason but I think it has something to do with how the charge is distributed on the diaphragm or something. It's not the charge itself, probias charge basically instantly (the pop you hear if you turn the amp on while you are wearing the headphones. Could also be the ear pads breaking in better, which is normal.

Jul 13, 2016 at 7:17 PM Post #2,166 of 3,322
I've been wondering about this for a while; I have an SRM-323s, and in the back there's a GND Terminal pin. From what I understand this is to connect a ground wire since Japanese sockets don't have a ground pin. But what I don't know is, since I'm in the US, should I be worried about this? I don't have any issues with noise or anything, and I'm running the amp from a stepdown transformer.

Jul 14, 2016 at 3:58 AM Post #2,167 of 3,322
  I've been wondering about this for a while; I have an SRM-323s, and in the back there's a GND Terminal pin. From what I understand this is to connect a ground wire since Japanese sockets don't have a ground pin. But what I don't know is, since I'm in the US, should I be worried about this? I don't have any issues with noise or anything, and I'm running the amp from a stepdown transformer.

I'm no electrician, but couldn't hurt, I'd think? Might function as a sort of crude overcurrent suppressor? *shrug*

Jul 14, 2016 at 5:04 AM Post #2,168 of 3,322

No, you should not be worried by this. In fact, you'd better not connect it if you have grounded it via the power cord/outlet. You should only have one connection to ground in your entire system, or else you may get grounding problems such as humming, buzzing or computer static affecting the audio signal.

The ground terminal on the back is very useful, as you said in Japan, but also in Europe, where not all power outlets are grounded. Furthermore, in case of grounding problems, it is useful to lift the ground on all other connected devices in the audio chain, and ground the entire system at one point only using the terminal on the Stax amp.

To name a further example, if you were to buy an entire system (amp, cd player, tuner, etc) from one of the bigger manufacturers, you will often see that only the amp has a grounded power cord, and the other devices have not. This is to ensure the customers do not get grounding problems.

Jul 14, 2016 at 5:07 AM Post #2,170 of 3,322
Jul 14, 2016 at 1:36 PM Post #2,173 of 3,322
You use a power cord without a ground connector, if such a thing exists where you live. If not, you can make one yourself, where you simply do not connect (or disconnect) the ground wire inside the power plug. Only do this when your system is grounded via another device (such as the KGSS), else you risk getting a shock from the metal case, if something would go wrong. Remember, there must always be a connection to ground somewhere when metal casework is involved, just not multiple ones.

Jul 18, 2016 at 12:51 PM Post #2,175 of 3,322
As a newbie Stax owner, what kind of extra care should I be taking? Is it just temperature (0-35 C), humidity (<90%), shock (don't drop it), and dust (cover it when not using)? Anything I'm missing? like surge protection?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back