The Entry Level Stax Thread
Jan 17, 2014 at 10:13 AM Post #916 of 3,322
  I'm looking for a bit of advice if possible, I'm looking to buy my first Stax system. I am looking at buying from pricejapan as the savings are massive over the UK price but will they play out of the box as they're 100v and the UK is 230v? or do i need a voltage converter and if so which one and where do i find it? sorry if i'm a bit naive on the subject.

I don't think they'll be sending it set up for the UK market (you could confirm that with a quick email to PJ), but what exactly you'll need to do will depend on which system you are considering.  Do you have an idea which package you're after?

Jan 17, 2014 at 10:40 AM Post #918 of 3,322

I don't think they'll be sending it set up for the UK market (you could confirm that with a quick email to PJ), but what exactly you'll need to do will depend on which system you are considering.  Do you have an idea which package you're after?

I am looking at the SRS-2170 system

Jan 17, 2014 at 10:45 AM Post #919 of 3,322
It uses an external PSU.  Like I said, I'd email PJ and ask if they send units set up the voltage in Europe.

If not, it's not a big deal at all to buy a pretty good and inexpensive replacement power supply.  There is lots of information buried in this thread and the big STAX thread about what you'd need, and people will help you locate as well... 

You'd certainly still be way ahead on cost even if you get banged for customs and have to buy a new power supply.

Good luck.

Jan 17, 2014 at 5:30 PM Post #921 of 3,322
My cosmetically challenged pair of el cheapo SR-5N or NB (not sure which) that I got off german ebay along with an SRD6/SB arrived today. Hooked it up to my old denon power amp, let it charge for a few minutes and was in heaven - certainly a keeper...

Minus:

- cosmetics - 3 out of 4 type plates missing, the 4th is mounted upside down 8-O
- no manual, box or whatnot

Plus:

- no channel imbalance
- pads are like new - maybe replacements

Sweet mids, highs are just right for my taste, bass is less than my sextetts (to be expected) but certainly not shy. Very comfy on my head - probably due to the great pads.
The question remains, is it N or NB - is there any way to find out w/o documentation?
Also I could use a longer cable or extension - are the plugs or whole cables available someplace?

Joachim

Jan 17, 2014 at 5:58 PM Post #922 of 3,322
I am looking at the SRS-2170 system

You should be able to buy a 240 Vac to 12 Vdc wall wart in the UK.
Just make sure the output pin (the one that plugs into the Stax amp) is the right size and has the right orientation.
Try to get a linear power supply, not a switch mode power supply.

Jan 17, 2014 at 8:18 PM Post #923 of 3,322
Hey all,

I think this'd be considered entry level.. Magnavox 1A9217. It's a OEM version of the Stax SR-3 from the 1970's. 

I just restored it (busted wires, blown element) and paired it with a Lepai LP-2020A+ tripath amp. Luckily when I got it, it came with the energizer. I even went ahead and replaced the corroded speaker leads with new OFC copper. Sounds darned good for being 30+ years old despite me being cheap and buying the $16 Lepai amp. I had to leave the darned thing charge for 3-4 days though as it sat in someones basement for 20+ years.

Jan 17, 2014 at 10:12 PM Post #924 of 3,322
Actually it's your opinion against someone else's.
Right?

Which part?

How do I replace the capacitors in my SRM-T1?

How do I a) find replacements for the capacitors and b) remove the old ones and install the new ones.

Ok before you go replacing capacitors like building a puzzle, why are you replacing the capacitor? Has it failed, measured poorly i.e poor ESR levels and ripple, replacing a capacitor that was installed incorrectly by the previous idiot? 85'C/105'C application i.e hotspot in amp?

uf = microfarads determines the capacitance or electrolytic charge your capacitor can handle up to, voltage determines the power current going through it. It is ok go with a over rated capacitor in both capacitance and voltage but don't go under the current specs especially with voltage, in some PS applications like computer based switched ps circuits, increase the capacitance too much and you're hitting up the wall of what the diodes can handle but in the unregulated design ps stage of your Stax amp shouldn't be a big deal.

RS Components, partconnexion, Digikey, mouser, ebay, Jaycar, your local diy electronics or hobby store should all house the stuff you need unless you need some fancy boutique stuff you order from the sites like RS, partsconnexion or mouser or any other sites such hificollective. All up to you.

Hey all,

I think this'd be considered entry level.. Magnavox 1A9217. It's a OEM version of the Stax SR-3 from the 1970's. 

I just restored it (busted wires, blown element) and paired it with a Lepai LP-2020A+ tripath amp. Luckily when I got it, it came with the energizer. I even went ahead and replaced the corroded speaker leads with new OFC copper. Sounds darned good for being 30+ years old despite me being cheap and buying the $16 Lepai amp. I had to leave the darned thing charge for 3-4 days though as it sat in someones basement for 20+ years.

Pics PICS!! :D

Jan 17, 2014 at 11:51 PM Post #925 of 3,322
Yo,

Here's the pic of it now restored to working order:

Jan 18, 2014 at 12:35 AM Post #927 of 3,322
Hey,

Thanks, I think the amp might need upgrading down the road, but right now it does the job really well.

Jan 18, 2014 at 6:12 AM Post #928 of 3,322
Nice, it's not even ugly.

Jan 19, 2014 at 12:30 AM Post #929 of 3,322

Ok before you go replacing capacitors like building a puzzle, why are you replacing the capacitor? Has it failed, measured poorly i.e poor ESR levels and ripple, replacing a capacitor that was installed incorrectly by the previous idiot? 85'C/105'C application i.e hotspot in amp?

Because it's the only other thing aside from the tubes I can think of that would cause one of my channels on the amp to distort and fuzz out at higher volume.

Jan 19, 2014 at 3:16 AM Post #930 of 3,322

Because it's the only other thing aside from the tubes I can think of that would cause one of my channels on the amp to distort and fuzz out at higher volume.

Have you changed the tubes or cleaned the pins? Have you measured the DC offset using a DMM and adjusted it accordingly via the trimpot inside? I smell bad resistor or bad tube. A cap can also be the culprit if in the PS stage/section, is the case with most of the vintage amps where hum would be hearable with a saturated cap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back