The End-Game Solid State Amplifier Master List
Aug 14, 2023 at 4:32 PM Post #121 of 184
It would be great if there was some kind of 'shoot-out' between these amps-- or some more comparisons/description generally. Guess it's hard to find the wherewithal and time/expense commitment to do a 'meta' test like that.
I believe Sandu (Soundnews) is cooking up some shoot-out you might be interested in. Keep an eye in the next few months.

MidFi Guy on youtube did some series of comparisons aswell, i really enjoyed those.

Sep 11, 2023 at 1:07 PM Post #122 of 184
I got to TT2 feeding Enleum 23R and I’ve been unconvinced to chase thousands more in the chain for the next step for over a year now.

Likely endgame.

Sep 30, 2023 at 1:00 PM Post #124 of 184
Sep 30, 2023 at 1:24 PM Post #126 of 184
Last edited:
Sep 30, 2023 at 1:52 PM Post #127 of 184
A few more nominees

questyle cma800r golden duo stack

1696096159169.png

crayon cha-1

1696096320916.png

leaf

https://www.releaf.co.jp/e/img/products/E3_hybrid_dC_en.pdf

Attachments

• 1696101384057.jpeg
    1696101384057.jpeg
    2.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jan 9, 2024 at 4:29 PM Post #130 of 184
Last edited:
Jan 10, 2024 at 9:50 PM Post #131 of 184
Has anybody considered using integrated speaker amps like the Pass Labs INT-25 or even an old YBD Integre DT. I'm thinking of getting a set of Modhouse Tungsten and probably need more amp. Maybe these amps don't have enough voltage gain though. But they make more sense because there's a huge market out there for them.

Currently using Susvara driven by Audio Note UK Meishu 300B single ended integrated amp. It's a speaker amp with 8 ohm output taps. I had to install 8 ohms of resistors on the output to eliminate a brightness that was from ringing in the output transformer. I'm at 11 o'clock most of the time and up to 1 o'clock if the recording is quiet so I doubt I could drive the Tungsten.

With speaker amps you don't have selectable gain or output matching but then these headphone amp manufacturers never tell us how they achieve these adjustments. We'd like walk away if we knew what they were doing. I don't know how a sonically neutral gain adjustment is possible if optimum sound quality is to be maintained at each setting. To do it right would require entirely different gain stages to be switched in and out and that would cost serious money and require a shutdown to make the change.

If I had to I could build any tube amp topology I want and taylor the sound to the headphone. I can't believe there are all these options today and I can't find one that is suitable for me. I remember when the only headphone amp you could buy was a Grado carved out of a 2x4 and run off batteries.

I'm looking at the Lenjonklou Gielli Pi as an alternative. A local dealer picked the brand up recently and told me it sounds way better then the Enleum 23R for 1/3rd the price. I heard the Enleum driving my Susvaras at his place and was hugely underwhelmed. There must have been an issue or maybe I'm just used to the Audio Note and solid state doesn't do it for me anymore.

Jan 10, 2024 at 10:18 PM Post #132 of 184
Has anybody considered using integrated speaker amps like the Pass Labs INT-25 or even an old YBD Integre DT. I'm thinking of getting a set of Modhouse Tungsten and probably need more amp. Maybe these amps don't have enough voltage gain though. But they make more sense because there's a huge market out there for them.

Currently using Susvara driven by Audio Note UK Meishu 300B single ended integrated amp. It's a speaker amp with 8 ohm output taps. I had to install 8 ohms of resistors on the output to eliminate a brightness that was from ringing in the output transformer. I'm at 11 o'clock most of the time and up to 1 o'clock if the recording is quiet so I doubt I could drive the Tungsten.

With speaker amps you don't have selectable gain or output matching but then these headphone amp manufacturers never tell us how they achieve these adjustments. We'd like walk away if we knew what they were doing. I don't know how a sonically neutral gain adjustment is possible if optimum sound quality is to be maintained at each setting. To do it right would require entirely different gain stages to be switched in and out and that would cost serious money and require a shutdown to make the change.

If I had to I could build any tube amp topology I want and taylor the sound to the headphone. I can't believe there are all these options today and I can't find one that is suitable for me. I remember when the only headphone amp you could buy was a Grado carved out of a 2x4 and run off batteries.

I'm looking at the Lenjonklou Gielli Pi as an alternative. A local dealer picked the brand up recently and told me it sounds way better then the Enleum 23R for 1/3rd the price. I heard the Enleum driving my Susvaras at his place and was hugely underwhelmed. There must have been an issue or maybe I'm just used to the Audio Note and solid state doesn't do it for me anymore.
Maybe you have found it already, there is a thread on speaker amps for headphones. The thread degrades after the first dozen pages, but contains some valuable information.

Jan 12, 2024 at 8:31 AM Post #134 of 184

Hey there, may i ask you if there's a reason why you go with integrated instead of something like power amps + tubes pre ?

I don't know if you know about this one (because very few are aware of it) but recently they released this HAA Resolute by Thrax, it's basically a power amp specifically made for headphones (and iems) users. I'm not exactly sure if it has the voltage requirement for Tungsten but from what i have seen it sure can drive Susvara and 1266 TC. I feel like it's a great option for owners of those (very) hard to drive headphones out there, as it gives you the possibility to tweak the sound with your favorites HPs amps as long as they have pre outputs. Without the risks of speakers amp and the use of resistors and whatnot.

I will be able to listen and compare the Giella Pi to a couple of others amps in a few months. I believe it is one of those hidden gems that no one talks about, we'll see. For now i can say that it drives Susvara and 1266 TC because Mister Fredrik Lejonklou pushed his Giella (OG) to it's limit specifically for those HPs.

Jan 14, 2024 at 8:16 AM Post #135 of 184
Subbed, my list violectric 550 pro in the 5g cad $ range

dcs lina hp amp in the 9 grand range

msb premier hp amp in the 15 g cad range that’s the upper limit

cfa3 Not sure how much.

there are others but must be balanced or at least offer 3 pin xlr in and 4 pin out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back