The Drinking Fountain - Full-Size Headphone Discussion
Jan 5, 2024 at 6:26 AM Post #76 of 545
I like my R70x more than my HD 660S2, HD 660S, and HD 650. Yes the HD 660S2 has a fuller richer sound, but it doesn't sound as correct as the R70x and doesn't have more bass extension than the R70x (just more presence). The HD 660S2 like the HD 660S has a slight lack of effortlessness to their sound which can be a bit bothersome with longer sessions, this is the main drawback of the HD 660S/S2 for me. Honestly since spending time with the R70x on my Lake People G111 MKII (first SS amp I had that truly properly drove the R70x) the HD 6xx line has mostly been ruined for me.

The only headphone I like more than the R70x is my Beyerdynamic T1 Gen 3, which while I may get some flak for this opinion considering it's unique tuning, it's the most organic and natural sounding headphone I've ever owned to my ears, it just sounds right to me. I've owned the T1.3 for over 3 years now, the R70x was the only headphone that truly took a lot of time from the T1. With the HD 6xx line while I like them with the HD 660S2 being my favorite, they're lacking that little bit of something that prevents them from being truly great for me like the T1.3 and R70x are.
I may audition them when I get the chance. I have liked AudioQuest NightHawks (they were once my favorite pair of headphones) and still enjoy the NightOwls very much, so an eccentric tuning doesn't bother me the slightest :)

Jan 5, 2024 at 9:14 AM Post #77 of 545
I've been a bit reluctant to chime in, as I feel I'm too new to the Hi-Fi world to make useful contributions. I also feel my current pairing (Focal Utopia and Focal Stellia with Naim Uniti Atom HE) may be way too classic. I just started spending tons of money into music less than two years ago. I guess what keeps me going is the nirvana I experience each time I find a combination of headphones/DAC/AMP that makes my hair stand on.

I'm right now spending some time in a second residence and enjoying my Focal Clear MG with a second-hand Cayin N6 MK2 (with R-2R board) I have recently purchased. Sure, there may be better combinations, but this shouldn't be a competition, I guess :O)

Jan 5, 2024 at 10:40 AM Post #78 of 545
I've been a bit reluctant to chime in, as I feel I'm too new to the Hi-Fi world to make useful contributions
I don't think you should hold back, opinions are always a positive contribution, when presented in a constructive way. Experienced or not.
I'm also quite new to Head-Fi, but I so think that I can still contribute in a good way to the forum.

Anyway, great gear you have, the Atom is a super nice device 👍

Jan 5, 2024 at 1:35 PM Post #79 of 545
I've been a bit reluctant to chime in, as I feel I'm too new to the Hi-Fi world to make useful contributions. I also feel my current pairing (Focal Utopia and Focal Stellia with Naim Uniti Atom HE) may be way too classic. I just started spending tons of money into music less than two years ago. I guess what keeps me going is the nirvana I experience each time I find a combination of headphones/DAC/AMP that makes my hair stand on.

I'm right now spending some time in a second residence and enjoying my Focal Clear MG with a second-hand Cayin N6 MK2 (with R-2R board) I have recently purchased. Sure, there may be better combinations, but this shouldn't be a competition, I guess :O)
The whole point of this thread is for you to chime in! The Utopia with the Naim Headphone Edition is a really good combo and I'm sure you have lots of impressions to share on that combo and the Stellia. I had that same combo and didn't particularly love it, but that by no means makes it a bad combo - it just wasn't for me (for that price, I was expecting more of a wow factor). I assume that the search for something that blows your mind is why we're all here. Otherwise, everyone would just be rocking the latest Sony or Beats or Apple Bluetooth headphones or earbuds. The Clear and Cayin are fun as well - and no, it's not a competition, or at least I hope no one streats these forums as one.

On the note of looking for things that blow our minds, I have my first e-stat on the way today - the Raal CA-1a. They don't seem to get a lot of love on here these days, but the concept is really interesting to me, especially with the TI-1b Transformer Interface it comes with that lets you connect a traditional amp to them. I'm going to try something crazy with them and run my Fiio M15S to my HiBy CR08 over to the TI-1b Transformer Interface using XLR and out to the headphones. Hopefully it works or I'll be looking to trade them haha.

Jan 5, 2024 at 1:57 PM Post #80 of 545
On the note of looking for things that blow our minds, I have my first e-stat on the way today - the Raal CA-1a. They don't seem to get a lot of love on here these days, but the concept is really interesting to me, especially with the TI-1b Transformer Interface it comes with that lets you connect a traditional amp to them. I'm going to try something crazy with them and run my Fiio M15S to my HiBy CR08 over to the TI-1b Transformer Interface using XLR and out to the headphones. Hopefully it works or I'll be looking to trade them haha.
CA-1A is amazing sounding headphone, most detailed I have heard so far. The issue is the third amp/brick on the table. Also while not terrible, comfort is not top notch. If there is a hp that sounds the same, can be driven with a regular amp and has better comfort, I would pay 3000€ for it.

Jan 5, 2024 at 2:32 PM Post #81 of 545
CA-1A is amazing sounding headphone, most detailed I have heard so far. The issue is the third amp/brick on the table. Also while not terrible, comfort is not top notch. If there is a hp that sounds the same, can be driven with a regular amp and has better comfort, I would pay 3000€ for it.
You would think the comfort could be fixed by normal earpads, or something similar. The third amp is tough to replace since regular amps can't drive e-stats without the transformer. I guess a regular e-stat energizer/amp would be the solution, but it doesn't give you the ability to use other headphones with it unless you build in two separate amps and then you may as well have a 3rd brick. It'd be cool if they could build the transformer into the headband, but the added weight and bulk would make that an unlikely/terrible idea - also scary to put that thing on your head.

Jan 5, 2024 at 2:40 PM Post #82 of 545
The whole point of this thread is for you to chime in! The Utopia with the Naim Headphone Edition is a really good combo and I'm sure you have lots of impressions to share on that combo and the Stellia. I had that same combo and didn't particularly love it, but that by no means makes it a bad combo - it just wasn't for me (for that price, I was expecting more of a wow factor). I assume that the search for something that blows your mind is why we're all here. Otherwise, everyone would just be rocking the latest Sony or Beats or Apple Bluetooth headphones or earbuds. The Clear and Cayin are fun as well - and no, it's not a competition, or at least I hope no one streats these forums as one.

Thanks a lot for the warm welcome! I've just got the Naim very recently, and it's currently burning in. I still need to spend lots more time with it to provide meaningful impressions. I just can say that right out of the box the combination sounded amazing (at least to me)!

I think our (wow) impressions very much depend on how many different combinations we've had the opportunity to test. And obviously, the more one goes up the ladder, the more difficult it becomes to be surprised. That's likely what makes this hobby so addictive (and expensive!)

Jan 5, 2024 at 2:46 PM Post #83 of 545
Thanks a lot for the warm welcome! I've just got the Naim very recently, and it's currently burning in. I still need to spend lots more time with it to provide meaningful impressions. I just can say that right out of the box the combination sounded amazing (at least to me)!

I think our (wow) impressions very much depend on how many different combinations we've had the opportunity to test. And obviously, the more one goes up the ladder, the more difficult it becomes to be surprised. That's likely what makes this hobby so addictive (and expensive!)
Yes to all of the above! Glad you love the Naim and Utopia! Everyone has different preferences and hears differently, so it's very common for people to like different things. Food is another good example of this, some people like seafood, some people hate it, and some people swell up like a balloon when they eat it despite loving it.

Jan 5, 2024 at 3:15 PM Post #84 of 545

Such an interesting concept. I would love to know your impressions on the Raal CA-1a.
You had a chance to listen to it? Can you elaborate a little further, especially regarding to the lower-end frequency?

Thank you!

Jan 5, 2024 at 3:54 PM Post #85 of 545
Not sure if this is the right thread but thought I'd chime in anyway.

Wondering what peoples collective impressions are about the amount of time that a product should be used before giving an opinion on it.

Headphones dot com for example has released two videos to end off the year where they rank products against its competition. Under normal circumstances I really enjoy the channel's content but the two last videos really irked me. All three reviewers were sharing opinions on products that they've either collectively never heard or have virtually zero experience with. The latest award video even sparked a heated debate with ZMF over the same issue so I know i'm not alone in my sentiments.

Just wondering what peoples thoughts are. The Headphones dot com crew are highly respected and hold a heavy amount of influence so i'm curious.
Didn't the individual contributors abstain from ranking items they hadn't heard for the most part?

Also, they didn't include the ZMF Bokeh in their rankings because they'd only heard it in show conditions, from what I remember.

Where was the heated ZMF debate?

Jan 5, 2024 at 4:36 PM Post #86 of 545
Didn't the individual contributors abstain from ranking items they hadn't heard for the most part?

Also, they didn't include the ZMF Bokeh in their rankings because they'd only heard it in show conditions, from what I remember.

Where was the heated ZMF debate?
I just asked Resolve on the livestream and he provided some clarity on their review process but ZMF and Headphones dot com have a tumultuous relationship going back a few years so I'm not surprised both parties don't see eye to eye. I know Zach doesn't want Resolve, DMS and Golden to mention ZMF in their videos as both parties have opposing points of view.

Unfortunately in the case of the Atrium Closed all three reviewers weren't provided a review unit and only spent a few mins with it at CanJam so the mention of the AC vs E3 and the AC's subsequent ranking was made with little to no time with the product. For this reason alone I agree with Zach that it probably shouldn't have been mentioned in a head to head comparison but it is what it is.

The ZMF heated debate goes back a couple years now and there have been multiple threads on various sites but the most recent one was between Zach and the Headphones dot com crew on the comment board in their latest video here:

If you scroll down to the comment section you'll see their latest exchange. Just look for the ZMFHeadphones logo and you'll find the debate.

Jan 5, 2024 at 4:48 PM Post #87 of 545
I have a question for you guys. If you really dislike the look of a headphone….how much do you think that will apply to the overall perception of that headphone.

WHat I mean is …. I hate the look of several headphone….which some I owned for a short time. My 1266 Phi TC I couldnt get to fit to my liking….my HD800 felt so loose on my head I was afraid it would fall off….just a couple. I wonder if the look affected my psychology just a bit to make the fit a little worse than it really was. LOL. I think the Austrian Audio Composer is super cheap looking and ugly for a top tier headphone. I wonder if the fit will be off for me on those as well. LOL

I know it is shallow …. But I just wonder if I was looking for an excuse not to like them.
For me, the appearance of a headphone can be an important factor, alongside comfort and sound. The look of most headphones are basically neutral for me, with a some being beautiful and a few being ugly as hell.

A really good look won't save a headphone if it sounds like crap or is super uncomfortable, but a really bad look might disqualify a really good sounding headphone. Because if I hate looking at it, I probably won't keep it out at my desk, and will therefore use it less. Or I might even judge myself for wearing it if it looks absurd enough lol. And if two headphones are equal in comfort and sound, then I'll definitely go with the one that looks better (to me).

Jan 5, 2024 at 4:58 PM Post #88 of 545
If you scroll down to the comment section you'll see their latest exchange. Just look for the ZMFHeadphones logo and you'll find the debate.
Thank you for providing the link. Reading through the comments makes me very happy that I don't do YT content for a living. Woah, people can be toxic without any real reason. (Not related to the ZMF/Headphones thing, just comments in general)
I hope ZMF and Headphones figures this stuff out, as I like both the reviews from Headphones and ZMF products are very interesting.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2024 at 5:15 PM Post #89 of 545
Thank you for providing the link. Reading through the comments makes me very happy that I don't do YT content for a living. Woah, people can be toxic without any real reason.
I hope ZMF and Headphones figures this stuff out, as I like both the reviews from Headphones and ZMF products are very interesting.
ZMF and Headphones dot com have been having the same heated debate for over two years now and after this last exchange I don't think a whole lot will be solved. If anything this one made it worse.

If you look at my signature i'm obviously coming from an extremely biased approach as I've spent more money with ZMF than any other manufacturer, owned a lot of the ZMF product line and fully support Zach and Bevin. I think they are genuinely good people and pillars of the community.

Having said that I also really like the Headphones dot com crew and for the most part see them as a net positive for the community. I'm just a bit confused as to how a product can be ranked and "reviewed" when essentially zero time has been spent with it.

I personally wouldn't speak on any product unless I've owned it.

Jan 5, 2024 at 6:19 PM Post #90 of 545
I'm reading this with interest. Just joined the board. My only reference point so is the Sony MDR-Z7m2 (about $600 new as of Dec. 2023), driving it with a Hagerman Castanet amp and a Bifrost 2/64 DAC. Maybe an unusual combo?

I'm enjoying this setup. Good detail, voicing and overall balance. I'd like to get an idea of how these headphones compare to others in the same price range now, and which used headphones I might consider that might provide a meaningful improvement. Also does anyone have any experience with this amp? How should I think of its limitations, especially its ability to drive headphones over the whole impedance range?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back