THE DIY HEADPHONE STAND THREAD
Mar 29, 2014 at 11:55 PM Post #2,761 of 3,874
Gotcha, try the neighborhood bank first for practice. Befriend the cute teller, maybe she'll invite you to a backdoor tryst.

Mar 30, 2014 at 8:22 PM Post #2,763 of 3,874
Gotcha, try the neighborhood bank first for practice. Befriend the cute teller, maybe she'll invite you to a backdoor tryst.

Those are some good looking stand you have there. I would buy one in a heartbeat if I had money!

Mar 31, 2014 at 7:04 AM Post #2,765 of 3,874
  I didn't intend to make this out of plywood, but that was all I had on hand. I'm not entirely thrilled with the way it came out, but happy enough and the design is sound. I was aiming at making something different from the usual quadrilateral geometry, so something in the shape of a crescent moon was what I finally settled on.

This is the 1st of 3 designs planned; more to come... 

Apr 5, 2014 at 11:08 PM Post #2,766 of 3,874
  Quote:

Originally Posted by spookygonk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Damn, that's good, (forgive my ignorance) what the kit inside the perspex?

its ambs CK2III and quite possibly the best bang for the buck I've ever built...it sounds awesome.

CKKIII.jpg

So you bought all the parts and made it yourself then.. and DId you get the case-ish thing from them as well.. Sorry Im still coming in to high end audio and I was looking around for a cool headphone stand... Then I saw this, figured maybe it could be my first stand/amp

Apr 6, 2014 at 2:25 PM Post #2,767 of 3,874
  So you bought all the parts and made it yourself then.. and DId you get the case-ish thing from them as well.. Sorry Im still coming in to high end audio and I was looking around for a cool headphone stand... Then I saw this, figured maybe it could be my first stand/amp

I would caution against touching something made with metal, to an amplifier with an open chassis like that. Let's just say the outcome could be ... shocking
eek.gif

Apr 6, 2014 at 2:35 PM Post #2,768 of 3,874

I would caution against touching something made with metal, to an amplifier with an open chassis like that. Let's just say the outcome could be ... shocking
eek.gif

The original poster uses it as his headphone stand. Plus any part of the AD700's that would be touching it would be either A) Plastic, B) Velvet earpads, or C) Touching the outside of the case. Plus any time the amp would be on the headphones wouldn't be resting on it.

Apr 6, 2014 at 2:37 PM Post #2,769 of 3,874
  The original poster uses it as his headphone stand. Plus any part of the AD700's that would be touching it would be either A) Plastic, B) Velvet earpads, or C) Touching the outside of the case. Plus any time the amp would be on the headphones wouldn't be resting on it.

Suit yourself. Just remember what I said, when Mr. Electricity introduces himself to you.

Apr 7, 2014 at 12:56 AM Post #2,773 of 3,874
I just don't understand the big deal. I understand electricity can be dangerous. But I wasn't going to be using it as a headphone stand when the amp would be on, and it's not like i'm going to go around poking my fingers in it while it's plugged in either. Common sense goes a long way in keeping you safe. I didn't mean it in a literal sense, hence the "ha ha"

Apr 7, 2014 at 8:21 AM Post #2,774 of 3,874

I built it from some scrap lexan from work...It was completed in 2006 and used daily for years. The heatsinks do not get seriously hot, and I have never stuck my fingers in there while its plugged in... its all insulated and built so that it is as safe as I could make it. I'm sure that it would light you up if you were determined to get shocked.

Apr 7, 2014 at 10:16 AM Post #2,775 of 3,874
  I built it from some scrap lexan from work...It was completed in 2006 and used daily for years. The heatsinks do not get seriously hot, and I have never stuck my fingers in there while its plugged in... its all insulated and built so that it is as safe as I could make it. I'm sure that it would light you up if you were determined to get shocked.

That's what I was thinking, but I felt like sharks were swimming around me for just saying I'd rest my headphones on it when it's turned off. ha

Users who are viewing this thread

Back