THE DIY HEADPHONE STAND THREAD
Apr 16, 2014 at 6:53 AM Post #2,792 of 3,874
  I was told before, that those woods that could be bent to that degree are pretty expensive? Is that true? @.@ 

Thin veneers which bend relatively easily can be hideously expensive. There are some thin plywoods that are marketed as bendy ply but they will often crack and splinter as flex is limited.

Multiple individual layers of thin wood are bent and glued together if you take a look at the wood omega headphone stands you can see this construction. Its effectively the same way sheets of plywood are made except they are glued up flat rather than bent into a shape. 

Apr 21, 2014 at 1:37 PM Post #2,796 of 3,874

Nothing fancy. Something thrown together in half an hour because I wanted something to do on Easter. Wood is walnut and cherry from my scrap box covered with tung oil varnish. Metal is 3/8" threaded rod with asst. hardware from the junk coffee can.

I like it, it's quite sturdy and it seems to work (I've always been a natural wood and steel kinda guy, as opposed to black paint or acrylic, no offense to those who are)

I'll give it another go some other time. Thinking I need a router and a roundover bit to make the top a bit better (I'm getting tiny divots in my foam, but smaller than the one divot I was getting on my old rack -- the cartridge from a British .303 Enfield in a 45-degree hole in a board screwed to the wall.

Apr 21, 2014 at 4:07 PM Post #2,797 of 3,874

Nothing fancy. Something thrown together in half an hour because I wanted something to do on Easter. Wood is walnut and cherry from my scrap box covered with tung oil varnish. Metal is 3/8" threaded rod with asst. hardware from the junk coffee can.

I like it, it's quite sturdy and it seems to work (I've always been a natural wood and steel kinda guy, as opposed to black paint or acrylic, no offense to those who are)

I'll give it another go some other time. Thinking I need a router and a roundover bit to make the top a bit better (I'm getting tiny divots in my foam, but smaller than the one divot I was getting on my old rack -- the cartridge from a British .303 Enfield in a 45-degree hole in a board screwed to the wall.

I like the simplicity.  What are the two headphones?  Some vintage units?

Apr 21, 2014 at 8:21 PM Post #2,798 of 3,874
No vintage stuff right now (all less than 9 months old, actually). 

The left pair is the Panasonic RP-HTX7, which receive good reviews at $30, and I grabbed them on discount at Kmart for $11 -- not super-awesome, but better than most everything I can find locally.

The second pair is the Koss Pro/4AA which came brand-new from Koss last week (turned in a half-dead pair for refurb and they just sent me new ones for $9 about 20 days later). I guess they almost qualify as vintage, since they've been made since my mother was in high school.

Tonight I grabbed a pair of Koss Porta Pros for $25 at Kmart, and they now live on the rack. I think they sound better than the Panasonics after the 20-block walk back from the store. I lost my first pair on the bus this winter, so I was itching for a replacement.

Apr 24, 2014 at 3:32 AM Post #2,802 of 3,874
Wow that looks amazing.  What kind of wood is it?

Apr 24, 2014 at 1:21 PM Post #2,803 of 3,874
  Wow that looks amazing.  What kind of wood is it?

Thanks for all the positive feedback!

The darker wood is Jatoba (Brazilian Cherry) and the lighter accents are Maple.  I love Jatoba--finishes very nicely,  It can be hard to get and is tough to work with because it's very dense and the grain can tear out easily on a router table or a planer.  However, if you're careful and your tools are sharp, the end result can be beautiful--and heavy!  That stand weighs a lot more than you'd guess.  This helps to make it very stable even when it is holding only one set of cans.

Unfortunately, I've almost exhausted my supply of Jatoba and last time I checked, I could not get any more--unless I was willing to pay an ungodly amount of money for it...

Apr 24, 2014 at 5:10 PM Post #2,804 of 3,874

The darker wood is Jatoba (Brazilian Cherry) and the lighter accents are Maple.  I love Jatoba--finishes very nicely,  It can be hard to get and is tough to work with because it's very dense and the grain can tear out easily on a router table or a planer.  However, if you're careful and your tools are sharp, the end result can be beautiful--and heavy!  That stand weighs a lot more than you'd guess.  This helps to make it very stable even when it is holding only one set of cans.

Unfortunately, I've almost exhausted my supply of Jatoba and last time I checked, I could not get any more--unless I was willing to pay an ungodly amount of money for it...

Absolutely phenomenal! Among the best I've ever seen and that includes my own.

Apr 24, 2014 at 5:57 PM Post #2,805 of 3,874

Most hard woods do finish beautifully, but that one looks like it finishes especially nicely.  I looked into getting some myself...$10 a foot minimum...that is damn expensive.  Anyway congrats on your creation.  I really like the design.  It looks like the diameter of the wood is about perfect to the curve of the headphones.  Do you know what the diameter of the curve is?  I was thinking about doing something similar with redwood.  Love the look, feel and smell of it even though it is getting harder and harder to come by these days.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back