THE DIY HEADPHONE STAND THREAD
Mar 4, 2012 at 10:22 AM Post #1,097 of 3,874
A copper stand for my new HFI-780's and a future can.
Needs to be buffed up when the warmer weather arrives and coat it with a clear lacquer.

Front View

Side View

Ultrasone's mounted

Mar 6, 2012 at 3:41 AM Post #1,098 of 3,874
That's genius! Looks like the whole thing is press-fit together? Once it's buffed and laquered it'll look top notch.  Did you tally up the total cost there?

Mar 6, 2012 at 11:30 AM Post #1,099 of 3,874
Thanks nick n much appreciated!

I was going to do a PVC stand at first, but there was very little in the selection of "unique" fittings...
Wood and I don't get along, so that was out. :wink:
Upon looking at the copper fittings my choice was made.  

6' 1/2 pipe, (4) 90's, (2) Street 90's, (4) 45's, (6) Tee's, (4) Caps and 6' 1/2 Insulation was $30 from Kent Building Supplies.
Lacquer, Steel Wool (Medium & Superfine) and PC7 Epoxy $25 from Home Hardware.

I did not want to solder the pipe as I know it would not have turned out well, the "Just for Copper" epoxy was way too expensive. I've used PC7 Epoxy in the past as well as JB Weld and they both work excellent.

I had the design in my head so I measured and cut all the pieces, dry fit them, made some adjustments, mixed up a pile of PC7 and started to assemble.
(You only have a hour of pliable time with the PC7)

A pipe crimp tool would have been a excellent choice for press fitting, I never thought of it at the time though. I will seriously consider that option if I build another one.

I'll post updated pictures once it's buffed and shiny. :)

Mar 6, 2012 at 3:07 PM Post #1,101 of 3,874
Thanks Saintkeat!

The copper pipe and fittings have a little too much play in them for it to stand by itself.
A different design "might" stay together if it was a closed loop type thing.

Mar 8, 2012 at 10:35 AM Post #1,102 of 3,874
I made this very basic headphone hook on a Makerbot Thingomatic, which I have on my bench at work. The material is black ABS. I found the design on the Thingiverse web site.

(Pics are from my cell phone)

Mar 8, 2012 at 10:36 AM Post #1,103 of 3,874
Very simple and nice solution. 

Man, I need to get a 3D printer... and a CNC... and a micro lathe... and. and. 

*sigh*

After the kiddo graduates from college maybe. (only 19 more years to go!)

Mar 8, 2012 at 10:41 AM Post #1,104 of 3,874

Quote:
I designed and printed this cubicle hanger for my K701s.  You can download the CAD files from Thingiverse

I saw this design on Thingiverse, but it's too big to fit on a Thingomatic build platform. We just got the new Makerbot Replicator yesterday, so I may try it. (Much larger build platform)

What is the spacing between the screw heads? I'm not sure if it will fit my cube walls.

Mar 10, 2012 at 5:00 AM Post #1,107 of 3,874

Quote:
I see I'm the only person sporting the K'nex headphone stand. I borrowed my room-mate's lamp and desk for this one. He's out, so he won't mind, and he owns Bose QC2 headphones, so he'll never come here.

Yes, that is a D2 in an altoids tin. I put up some wallpaper in there, too.
dscf1073d.jpg

Here is one without the headphones on it:
*snipped*

A side view with 'phones
*snipped*

Lastly: a sideview in it's natural habitat.
*snipped*

Also featured in the last picture are two mugs in need of washing, three railroad spikes, a cellphone on a charger, a large ballbearing being warmed by a laptop (for later use as a handwarmer), a computer, monitor, some topaz, a folder used as a mousepad, my D2, a pair of truly crummy computer speaker, a router, and last weeks' sudoku. I enjoy a messy desk.

My last hanger was a really large c-shaped knex one. This is v2.1

Hey dorkvader, no idea if you are still active on these forums, but I still wanted to thank you for a little inspiration with my own project.

Imgur Link for a few more pictures and my old headphone stand with my old headphones: http://imgur.com/a/PWYOe

The cushion on the headband is just some extra memory foam in a mesh bag rubber banded onto the top.
The front of the front area also doubles as a phone holder for my Android.

Mar 10, 2012 at 5:03 AM Post #1,108 of 3,874

Quote:
Very simple and nice solution. 

Man, I need to get a 3D printer... and a CNC... and a micro lathe... and. and. 

*sigh*

After the kiddo graduates from college maybe. (only 19 more years to go!)

Try hunting out a hackerspace in your local area. Should give you access to one of those and usually for free. Check out this link for a list of hackerspaces http://hackerspaces.org/wiki/List_of_Hacker_Spaces

Mar 10, 2012 at 9:19 AM Post #1,109 of 3,874
That's cool. The only one I saw in Chicago is $70 a month, but still loads cheaper than acquiring the gear myself. I'll have to check them out.

Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back