The diary entries of a little girl! ~ | ~ Latest memoir: oıpnɐ ןɐuıɟ
Sep 11, 2011 at 9:03 PM Post #106 of 3,746
Sep 11, 2011 at 9:16 PM Post #107 of 3,746

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatFan12 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Hi kiteki,

Again, great write up, but wanted to ask about the Teclast.  I was in between the Teclast & J3 several months ago.  Went with iPhone4 in the end (contract was up, so it was the logical step with phone and dap as well).

What exactly is the issue with the UI?  Many contradicting sides to it.  I figure you are definitely a Teclast guru and can enlighten me on it.....Thanks

My needs basically for a DAP are:  FLAC, ALAC and / or OGG support.  Gapless playback a must with no glitches.  Decent UI (album art etc.) and not needing to use an MIT degree to navigate.

Thanks very much

I'm going to sound like a techno virgin here but I'm not sure I know what gapless playback is.... is that when you have an entire album in a single FLAC file? Because I have those and they work on the T51, but not flawlessly, sometimes you can't press next and back, so you just have to drag the scrollbar to find the song you want, or fast-forward or rewind...

The only issue with the T51 is that you have to navigate in a folder structure, it's not a DAP where you just put your music on it and then navigate by artist or genre, at least it seems glitchy there? I don't actually know, because I always navigate by folder structure, and I find it quick and intuitive, never had any issues.

One "issue" I have is battery life, which is less than ideal at around 8 to 10 hours, but the battery itself is huge, it seems like the chips and output power and large screen just don't make it a power friendly device, you can get through one full length movie.

At the end of the day, it's NOT intended to be a UI friendly DAP, it's intended to be an audiophile DAP with two DAC's, a great sounding line-out, and a great sounding headphone-out, what's fantastic about it is the price, and you get a huge screen to watch movies on as a bonus feature, is the way I look at it.

Sep 11, 2011 at 9:36 PM Post #108 of 3,746

Quote:
I'm going to sound like a techno virgin here but I'm not sure I know what gapless playback is.... is that when you have an entire album in a single FLAC file? Because I have those and they work on the T51, but not flawlessly, sometimes you can't press next and back, so you just have to drag the scrollbar to find the song you want, or fast-forward or rewind...

The only issue with the T51 is that you have to navigate in a folder structure, it's not a DAP where you just put your music on it and then navigate by artist or genre, at least it seems glitchy there? I don't actually know, because I always navigate by folder structure, and I find it quick and intuitive, never had any issues.

One "issue" I have is battery life, which is less than ideal at around 8 to 10 hours, but the battery itself is huge, it seems like the chips and output power and large screen just don't make it a power friendly device, you can get through one full length movie.

At the end of the day, it's NOT intended to be a UI friendly DAP, it's intended to be an audiophile DAP with two DAC's, a great sounding line-out, and a great sounding headphone-out, what's fantastic about it is the price, and you get a huge screen to watch movies on as a bonus feature, is the way I look at it.

Thanks!!!

Gapless playback is having an album with no gaps- example- live albums, house or trance mixed CDs etc without having that "gap" going from song to song.  Years ago, I used to have to rip the entire album as one single flac because my Archos did not do gapless at all.  However, as you know navigating to a particular song in that fashion was a pita indeed.  I can deal with folder structure there and great head... & line-out which is a plus.  Have to look at the Teclast some more then...

Cheers!!!

Example:

Here is an Armin Van Buuren rip (ASOT 2011).  Gapless will play each song in order with no gaps just like the original CD...

Sep 11, 2011 at 10:07 PM Post #109 of 3,746
Yes...  Josh brought the FI-BA-SS as well as the MASSIVE piano forte. I tried the Fibass. Piano forte..  i kinda had to go. It didn't look comfy as well. Think a universal IEM, 1.5 times the size of a custom IEM, TIPLESS ..  cold hard steel right into your ear canals..  PAIN??  and they're ridiculously heavy.

Fi-Ba-ss was great! and the crafting is orgasmic...   however I'm not too convinced it sounds better than the merlins or miracles..  and the strain relief is downright poor. They cause more harm than relief of the cables...

Sep 11, 2011 at 10:10 PM Post #110 of 3,746

Quote:

Hey, I should start an audio sales shop that has girls like that working there.

Oh, you would suceed.  Love it in Akihabara when the stores have kirei campaign-girls wearing costumes.  Shopping and cos-play all at the same time.   Combine this with the beer-girls at baseball stadiums and what is not to like? Thanks for a very good and informative thread.  Sugoi desu neh!

Sep 11, 2011 at 10:12 PM Post #111 of 3,746

Quote:
I swear officer, I only wanted to check out her cans...

Officer Flannigan: I know son that's what got you into this sort of trouble.

Sep 12, 2011 at 1:50 AM Post #113 of 3,746
Quote:
Yeah, we should be talking about Final Audio though... not mobile phones. =p

Agreed :)

Quote:
Yes...  Josh brought the FI-BA-SS as well as the MASSIVE piano forte. I tried the Fibass. Piano forte..  i kinda had to go. It didn't look comfy as well. Think a universal IEM, 1.5 times the size of a custom IEM, TIPLESS ..  cold hard steel right into your ear canals..  PAIN??  and they're ridiculously heavy.

Fi-Ba-ss was great! and the crafting is orgasmic...   however I'm not too convinced it sounds better than the merlins or miracles..  and the strain relief is downright poor. They cause more harm than relief of the cables...

Yeah, sadly their DD IEMs are massively uncomfy, but their BAs are great, especially the SS and A1. Haven't heard the Merlins and Miracles, but the FI-BA-SS can keep up with my newly acquired UERMs and even surpass them in some aspects. I agree their "strain reliefs" look poor, but I've had these phones for more than a year now and the cables don't show any sign of wear (of course I take care of my stuff).

Sep 12, 2011 at 2:34 AM Post #114 of 3,746

Quote:
Thanks shane55, I remember when I started on head-fi I saw your posts a lot, I think mostly about the DBA-02 or something, nice to see a familiar face, that black guy using the SR-404 and listening to some really intense jazz, by the looks of it! ;]

Heh, heh... Yeah, the DBA-02. My go-to IEM's. Also now the B2's. Pretty much the same thing.

And for the 'black guy'... that's McCoy Tyner. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McCoy_Tyner  Probably listening to his own brilliance. 
wink_face.gif

Sep 12, 2011 at 7:27 PM Post #117 of 3,746
Sep 12, 2011 at 7:32 PM Post #118 of 3,746
Nice first impressions on the Hifiman Express HM-101. Pardon my ignorance for asking this question but can this unit be mated directly to a DAP and have you tried running from Laptop to Hifiman to Dedicated external HP amp to HP/IEM yet? I'm rather curious what it would sound like with say a Cmoy or even a cheapy Fiio amp or what have you.

Sep 12, 2011 at 7:48 PM Post #119 of 3,746

Think of it as a sound-card, it has to be connected to a computer, and will act as the sound-card of the computer.

As soon as you disconnect it from a computer, it can't do anything, furthermore, it has no audio inputs.

With the line-out, you can connect it to a cmoy or or Fiio amp, but the built-in amp is so good I see no point in doing that.

I haven't listened to the line-out properly yet, but I'll connect the LO to my stereo later.

Sep 12, 2011 at 7:50 PM Post #120 of 3,746

Quote:

Think of it as a sound-card, it has to be connected to a computer, and will act as the sound-card of the computer.

As soon as you disconnect it from a computer, it can't do anything, furthermore, it has no audio inputs.

With the line-out, you can connect it to a cmoy or or Fiio amp, but the built-in amp is so good I see no point in doing that.

I haven't listened to the line-out properly yet, but I'll connect the LO to my stereo later.

Gotcha thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back