The diary entries of a little girl! ~ | ~ Latest memoir: oıpnɐ ןɐuıɟ
Jan 6, 2012 at 12:52 PM Post #2,401 of 3,746

Quote:
I've limited my search to the Starkey SA-43 and the SE 5 Series.

Why? by the way, thank you for your advice, now I have something to love more than my PS!
I hate you.................
cool.gif

Jan 6, 2012 at 12:54 PM Post #2,402 of 3,746
Jan 6, 2012 at 12:55 PM Post #2,403 of 3,746
Jan 6, 2012 at 12:57 PM Post #2,405 of 3,746

Quote:

Hey muppet, have you even heard the A2000X?  You have soooo many Audio Technicas, and you just bought a second L3000, I'm confuse.

I've seen the A2000X compared to L3000 in sound signature.

I haven't heard any of the higher-end Art Series yet.

Quote:
By the way I noticed you already have the Tesla T1, so just to elaborate, I'm wondering if the T5p has the same driver as the T1 but sounds different at 32 ohms versus 600, and a real amplifier will make the T1 sound more like the T5p, and less like a Stax...

Anyway I'll A/B them at a local store sometime, and that guy in Singapore with a jetpilot avatar wants me to A/B T5p and SRH-940, since he's convinced the T5p is nothing but a "halogen clarion" in his words.

I owned the T1 briefly when they first came out. This time around it's growing on me a bit more. Up until recently I had felt that it did just about everything well, but nothing exceptionally. If I were being a bit harsher I'd say it was kind of boring.

Now however it seems to be exuding a very subtle charm. It has a certain weight and presence that gives it an urgent and immediate feeling. It has body and is able to convey a certain level of emotionality in music. It isn't particularly good at placing that weight though if that makes any sense. It's not grounded. Like a tiny hippo just kind of floating there by your ear.

The HD800 on the other hand is able to place music all around you and swirl it around in a large field, but it doesn't have that physicality. In that sense I'd say the HD800 is more like a stereotypical electrostatic presentation.

Jan 6, 2012 at 1:02 PM Post #2,407 of 3,746
Quote:

I think you mean custom IEMs of every universal IEM.

You're saying all IEMs sound different. If UM Mages are customized for two different people will they still sound different?

No, I mean universal IEM's of every custom IEM.

"If UM Mages are customized for two different people will they still sound different?"

Ultimate Ears say, if you buy a UE11Pro 4 years after your first one, it should still sound exactly the same as your last UE11Pro.

Now... if custom IEM's sound slightly different from person to person, they shouldn't, but if the laboratory is lazy or rushed then they probably will.

Ideally all CIEM's should be tested for uniformity, that's why they send you a frequency response print-out sometimes.

Thousand Sound say they spend up to 2 weeks making/testing a single CIEM.

What I meant by they all sound different is I mean every custom IEM will sound different to the next one, just like universals all sound different to the next one.

What universal and custom IEM's have in common is that almost all of them use the same balanced-armature drivers from the same two companies.

Jan 6, 2012 at 1:02 PM Post #2,408 of 3,746

Quote:

Sounds like a plan.

Quote:
No, I mean universal IEM's of every custom IEM.

"If UM Mages are customized for two different people will they still sound different?"

Ultimate Ears say, if you buy a UE11Pro 4 years after your first one, it should still sound exactly the same as your last UE11Pro.

Now... if custom IEM's sound slightly different from person to person, they shouldn't, but if the laboratory is lazy or rushed then they probably will.

Ideally all CIEM's should be tested for uniformity, that's why they send you a frequency response print-out sometimes.

Thousand Sound say they spend up to 2 weeks making/testing a single CIEM.

What I meant by they all sound different is I mean every custom IEM will sound different to the next one, just like universals all sound different to the next one.

What universal and custom IEM's have in common is that almost all of them use the same balanced-armature drivers from the same two companies.

When you say the next one do you mean another model of IEM or one of the same model. What two companies? Knowles and...

Jan 6, 2012 at 1:07 PM Post #2,409 of 3,746
Quote:
I checked out the re-shelling section on UM's site. Hmm around $270 in total. That actually doesn't sound too bad. Are the re-shells in generic housings or custom made?

All reshells are in custom made housings.

You have to factor in the cost of the universal IEM (UE700), ear impressions ($50), reshell costs, extra driver costs, and possibly a cable too.

There are cheaper alternatives than UM, but they are popular with good feedback, and I heard the UM Mage demo unit and I think that one is better sounding than the Merlin so pretty good value overall.

Jan 6, 2012 at 1:18 PM Post #2,410 of 3,746
Quote:
     Quote:

Sounds like a plan.

When you say the next one do you mean another model of IEM or one of the same model. What two companies? Knowles and...

Even if you don't reshell it, it's still a great universal IEM especially at that price.

I mean every model sounds different to the next model, it doesn't matter if they're UIEM or CIEM.

Within the same model, like Sony EX600, they should all sound the same, but it's possible there are some very slight differences within the same models.

Jan 6, 2012 at 1:21 PM Post #2,411 of 3,746

Quote:
Even if you don't reshell it, it's still a great universal IEM especially at that price.

I mean every model sounds different to the next model, it doesn't matter if they're UIEM or CIEM.

Within the same model, like Sony EX600, they should all sound the same, but it's possible there are some very slight differences within the same models.

Ooohhh I see. Thanks for the clarification.

Jan 6, 2012 at 1:22 PM Post #2,412 of 3,746

Quote:

I mean speaker as in its actual speaker. I believe the stock firmware had some sound manipulation software that Cyanogen doesn't have. After some listening with my A151s I believe that they do require an amp (lots of high-pitched sounds and hissing). As one of you have pointed out though perhaps the Wolfson DAP isn't even being used for music playback.

I don't believe it is unless you root it to a ROM that has Voodoo support baked in or you can at the least switch the ROM's kernel to faux123's kernel which supports Voodoo sound.  I don't have any problem with my phone speaker personally and I'm rooted with Cyanogen 7.1.0.1 with kernel version 2.6.32.45-CM7-Faux123-v0.4.3.  If you're rooted give it a shot.

Quote:
Gotcha, no leaving that Fiio E6 at home then =O

I believe that with Voodoo, you won't need the amp.  The DAC output is MUCH better than whatever the phone is doing without it.  I actually have Tasker set up so that when I plug in my earphones it sets the volume way down so I don't hurt my ears if I accidentally turned the volume up.

Y'all should check out the forums at xda-developers for all that stuff.  I think you'll be pleasantly surprised with Voodoo.

Jan 6, 2012 at 1:24 PM Post #2,413 of 3,746

Quote:
I checked out the re-shelling section on UM's site. Hmm around $270 in total. That actually doesn't sound too bad. Are the re-shells in generic housings or custom made?

They are made into custom housing specifically made to fit your ear canal and only your ear canal. So they are custom housings. I am getting my TF10s remolded myself and am sending them out today. We may have met the 25 quota so the price would be $76.50 and we get free art work done (a $25.00 value). If not then we save $5.00 ($85.00) and still get free art work. I'll be getting one of these as my artwork on both IEMS. Dark-clear blue backing with clear shell so I can see the actual drivers inside.

Jan 6, 2012 at 1:28 PM Post #2,414 of 3,746

http://www.knowles.com & http://www.sonion.com/

The truth is almost every universal and custom IEM is made with components from these two companies.

For dynamic drivers, they are often made by Foster, or sometimes developed by the company itself (JVC, Sony, Hifiman, Yuin)

Sony has broken the rule with the new Sony XBA-4 and that's why that UIEM is really interesting.

This is also why I was criticizing the AKG K3003, since if it's only a Knowles and a Foster inside then I don't think it's worth the price of a new motorbike.

Jan 6, 2012 at 1:29 PM Post #2,415 of 3,746

Quote:

I don't believe it is unless you root it to a ROM that has Voodoo support baked in or you can at the least switch the ROM's kernel to faux123's kernel which supports Voodoo sound.  I don't have any problem with my phone speaker personally and I'm rooted with Cyanogen 7.1.0.1 with kernel version 2.6.32.45-CM7-Faux123-v0.4.3.  If you're rooted give it a shot.

I believe that with Voodoo, you won't need the amp.  The DAC output is MUCH better than whatever the phone is doing without it.  I actually have Tasker set up so that when I plug in my earphones it sets the volume way down so I don't hurt my ears if I accidentally turned the volume up.

Y'all should check out the forums at xda-developers for all that stuff.  I think you'll be pleasantly surprised with Voodoo.

I'll be sure to check that out. I've been kinda disappointed with my P999 lately cause it just doesn't sound that good compared to my Walkman.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back