The diary entries of a little girl! ~ | ~ Latest memoir: oıpnɐ ןɐuıɟ
Jan 6, 2012 at 1:36 PM Post #2,417 of 3,746

Quote:
I still hear a tiny bit of hiss with the EX600 on the Clip Zip. That's a bit disappointing. Am I going to find IEMs maddening if I'm OCD about having a silent, black background?

Well do you hear hiss when music is playing, including quite passages? If you can't hear hiss during music playback, even during quite passages I wouldn't worry about it. Unless your OCD is gonna make you think you hear hiss lol. I've done that before :wink:.

Jan 6, 2012 at 1:37 PM Post #2,418 of 3,746

Quote:
They are made into custom housing specifically made to fit your ear canal and only your ear canal. So they are custom housings. I am getting my TF10s remolded myself and am sending them out today. We may have met the 25 quota so the price would be $76.50 and we get free art work done (a $25.00 value). If not then we save $5.00 ($85.00) and still get free art work. I'll be getting one of these as my artwork on both IEMS. Dark-clear blue backing with clear shell so I can see the actual drivers inside.

Wat. I have no idea what these are going to look like, but when they arrive can you post a few pics?

Quote:

http://www.knowles.com & http://www.sonion.com/

The truth is almost every universal and custom IEM is made with components from these two companies.

For dynamic drivers, they are often made by Foster, or sometimes developed by the company itself (JVC, Sony, Hifiman, Yuin)

Sony has broken the rule with the new Sony XBA-4 and that's why that UIEM is really interesting.

This is also why I was criticizing the AKG K3003, since if it's only a Knowles and a Foster inside then I don't think it's worth the price of a new motorbike.

Oh. I was wondering why people were making such a big fuss over the XBA series. For companies like Hifiman and Yuin to go into R&D... that's quite a feat. Must have required a ton of money to get that started - and a massive following.

Jan 6, 2012 at 1:41 PM Post #2,419 of 3,746

Quote:
Well do you hear hiss when music is playing, including quite passages? If you can't hear hiss during music playback, even during quite passages I wouldn't worry about it. Unless your OCD is gonna make you think you hear hiss lol. I've done that before :wink:.

I've being hearing hissing sounds from my Walkman ever since I got my M6. I'm always hearing hiss from my P999. I need to get an E6...

Jan 6, 2012 at 1:47 PM Post #2,420 of 3,746

Quote:
They are made into custom housing specifically made to fit your ear canal and only your ear canal. So they are custom housings. I am getting my TF10s remolded myself and am sending them out today. We may have met the 25 quota so the price would be $76.50 and we get free art work done (a $25.00 value). If not then we save $5.00 ($85.00) and still get free art work. I'll be getting one of these as my artwork on both IEMS. Dark-clear blue backing with clear shell so I can see the actual drivers inside.

Any meaning for the art?

Jan 6, 2012 at 1:47 PM Post #2,421 of 3,746

Quote:
I've being hearing hissing sounds from my Walkman ever since I got my M6. I'm always hearing hiss from my P999. I need to get an E6...

Hiss will only irritate me if I can hear it during music playback. And if I have to pump up my music to not hear it that will really PMO. I also like low listening music sessions at times as I also cherish my hearing lol. The hiss on my soon to be departed Z02 was really bad. Thought there was a snake in my room :wink:

Jan 6, 2012 at 1:49 PM Post #2,423 of 3,746
Quote:
Oh. I was wondering why people were making such a big fuss over the XBA series. For companies like Hifiman and Yuin to go into R&D... that's quite a feat. Must have required a ton of money to get that started - and a massive following.

It's because Sony have a good track record recently with the EX600 / EX800ST / EX1000 and they have finally entered the balanced-armature market and patented their own BA design which they said they spent years on and considering this the price is unexpectedly low for the XBA-4 so it seems they are using their marketing experience and tactics which is also why there is an alternate version for iPhones.

Once again I am confused with the AKG K3003, it has an in-line volume control an no alternate version, which most high-end audio enthusiasts will directly call a joke, just like noise-cancelling.

Jan 6, 2012 at 1:52 PM Post #2,424 of 3,746

Quote:
Hiss will only irritate me if I can hear it during music playback. And if I have to pump up my music to not hear it that will really PMO. I also like low listening music sessions at time as I also cherish my hearing lol. The hiss on my soon to be departed Z02 was really bad. Thought there was a snake in my room :wink:

I'm always listening at volume 1 when I'm at home (which sometimes still isn't low enough IMHO). I don't know if you feel the same way but I detect a bit of noise with my DAP when music is playing, which I believe is the hiss.

Jan 6, 2012 at 1:52 PM Post #2,425 of 3,746

Quote:
Once again I am confused with the AKG K3003, it has an in-line volume control an no alternate version, which most high-end audio enthusiasts will directly call a joke, just like noise-cancelling.

I was under the impression you could get the K3003 with or without the in-line volume control.

http://eu.akg.com/akg-k3003-overview-eu.html

It says "with or without" when you mouse over it.

Jan 6, 2012 at 1:57 PM Post #2,426 of 3,746
Who says this is a volume control in the path of the soundcable? It says remote control. For all we know, this just controls the player and does nothing to volume etc inside the buttoncase. Or does anyon know more?

Jan 6, 2012 at 1:59 PM Post #2,427 of 3,746

[size=small]lee730[/size]

[size=small]I feel you are ignoring me! are YOU?[/size]

Jan 6, 2012 at 2:00 PM Post #2,428 of 3,746

Quote:
I was under the impression you could get the K3003 with or without the in-line volume control.

http://eu.akg.com/akg-k3003-overview-eu.html

It says "with or without" when you mouse over it.

Oh yeahhhhh it even disappears and reappears that's cute.

Hmmm I should quote sources more it was someone on youtube saying the in-line volume control is a joke.

Anyway whatever no use speculating I'll hear it at Jaben Melb or Jakarta sometime I suspect and keep an eye out for the Vsonic single dynamic+dual-BA as well as Rooth, the Thousand Sound TS842 and reshell projects (I saw one at HFI.JP).

Jan 6, 2012 at 2:14 PM Post #2,429 of 3,746

Quote:
Hmmm I should quote sources more it was someone on youtube saying the in-line volume control is a joke.

I'd more wonder why he/she said that ... I mean there's those audiophiles, whose earphone cables must be at least 5 cm thick, with a shell containing molten prehistoric monkey piss, handselected by audio-sherpas off the cores of most audophile glaciers of the world, with an outer layer made of virgin sonic wasp wings, glued together by blind reborn mozart kids in a temple in nepal with their own spit and a plug made of meteorite metal.. And those can kindly go forth and multiply.

Jan 6, 2012 at 2:15 PM Post #2,430 of 3,746

One last thing I should say, the BA driver in the middle of this picture, that really looks like a TWFK.

I asked Thousand Sound if they'd use a TWFK in their TS842 on request, and they replied the ED-29689 is better.

Now... I find it ironic music_4321 has paid $1,300 for the K3003 and is saying this

"You are well aware of my stance on custom IEMs which, on the whole, I consider downright overrated, ie I strongly believe there's too much hype and exaggeration just as there is, in my view, too much hype and exaggeration when it comes to bitrate differences and the seeming mandatory use of lossless files, or at the very least the need, according to some, to listen to 320 kbps files when it comes to using higher-end phones. Same [or (much) worse] goes for aftermarket cables and, to a lesser extent, portable amps."

He is right about bitrate and cables I think, but I don't see why he puts custom IEM's in this giant box and then calls them all overrated.

For all he knows the custom IEM TS842 sounds better than the K3003, and that's $540 versus $1,300, maybe I should start a thread "are universal IEM's overrated?"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back