The diary entries of a little girl! ~ | ~ Latest memoir: oıpnɐ ןɐuıɟ
Dec 22, 2011 at 11:49 PM Post #1,621 of 3,746
Quote:
[/]
MDR E888 (produced between around 1995-some time early 2000, cheapest of the bunch and least difficult to find. However, there seem to be fakes, so look out)

I bought mine in a Sonystyle store late last year, it says "made in Thailand, 2008", IIRC.

I was skeptical of them, I was trying the EX300 and EX500 and then the sales rep in the Sony store was pushing the E888 on me really saying it's a good quality earphone, he said they were on 20% discount, and I wasn't enjoying the EX500 very much, so I'm like "OK fine" and went for the E888 haha.

My first impression was "what, zero bass?", then in the taxi later I'm like "Wow! so natural!", they paired quite magically with the Hippo gumstick, I've never heard female vocals and percussion like that, anyway I modded them excessively and somehow lost one of the white filters so I'm sadface. 

They are still in production along with the E931, you can buy them at amazon.jp.

It's possible the flooding in Thailand damaged one of the factories they're made at I'm not sure.

I never reviewed the E888, but I posted some thoughts in my CK10 review, since at the time the CK10, E888 and EX700 were my best earphones (in different ways), and to be honest I haven't really found any significantly better IEM's since then yet either.

Dec 23, 2011 at 12:00 AM Post #1,622 of 3,746

By the way I don't recommend the Hippo gumstick, I recommend the X19+ which sounds very similiar, I'm suspecting they use the same DAC I can't remember what it's called right now, the X19+ has more advanced equalizer settings, very advanced actually for such a basic little device.

I'm still waiting for the X19HD which I'm suspecting sounds similiar as well.

You can get them really cheap from here - http://www.mistertao.com/index.php?main_page=search

Dec 23, 2011 at 1:06 AM Post #1,623 of 3,746
Quote:
Well, after I realized that IEMs are not for me ( when you seal an ear-canal with IEM there is a vacuum pressure inside it that fatigues my ears very fast) then I don't have a choice. Major players have stopped producing  high quality earbuds and instead switched to producing IEMs.

Well, there are dozens of vented IEMs that won't give you much of a vacuum pressure. Hippo VB, Sony EX600/1000, JVC FX500/700, Radius DDMs and the FInal Audio Heaven series come to mind.

Quote:
Let's not forget the Final Audio earbud and 9wave http://www.9wave.jp/english.html

I know some think highly of them, but tbo the Final Audio Piano Forte II earbuds didn't impress me much. That said, @mutabor, PM me your address if you want them and I'll send them to you for free.

Dec 23, 2011 at 2:26 AM Post #1,624 of 3,746

Quote:
haha except that's like forcing a supermodel to dress in sweats... they'll fit fine, and she'll look good no matter what, but she could look a lot better!

Sometimes, you just need to wear some sweats. Even when you're a supermodel. Like when it's that time of the month and you feel like crap. Or when it's cold.

Quote:

Your opinion looks well-seasoned and realistic,

However... much like the comments on DT48 sounding the best under $1000, I've seen another head-fier (he even has the Heaudio Jade I think) say the Fostex T50RP is the best headphone under $800.

I don't take those comments very seriously, but I find them inviting because there must be something special about the sound of that headphone then, in order to ellicit such an emotional statement, even if false.

An example is that guy ummm.... "Katun" saying his JVC FXC51 IEM's had better bass than the Ultrasone PRO 900, and sounding better than Z1000, of course the reaction is "Lol!" and peoples eyes glaze over his comments but anyway I bought the JVC FXC51 to see what he was on about, and it actually is a really good performer for it's price if you love intimate bass and detail and no mids, and then I realised he factors in price a lot in his opinions, which is why he hated the Z1000 ($500) and loves the FXC51 ($50 or less). etc...

By the way Muppet Face, which DT48's have you heard and which one is recommended?  I'm guessing it will have some distinct weaknesses but I love the "love/hate" reactions on it and that it's from the 1940's or earlier, so maybe when you listen to it it summons souls from WWII? =p

I love polarizing headphones (*holds up a finger* Ultrasone, ma boi!) for the same sort of reasons you state. Just look at my all-time favorite, the Qualia 010. A big issue with that one though is fit problems, and I think a lot of the negative reactions were from people who couldn't wear them properly. I mean, Sony went through the trouble of custom tailoring them to your head size. I have to wonder at times if maybe the issue is similarly with me as far as modded T50RPs go. Maybe my ear and head shape make them sound boring?

I've listened to the A and E varieties in different impedances. Keep in mind that not all DT48s are that old. I think two (the A and one of the Es) were relatively new, and the third was the vintage E like you're referring to. In either case, the vintage E was the most enjoyable. The newer E wasn't too bad. The A was pretty bland on just about everything aside from certain instrumental tracks.

Dec 23, 2011 at 2:57 AM Post #1,626 of 3,746

Quote:
Sometimes, you just need to wear some sweats. Even when you're a supermodel. Like when it's that time of the month and you feel like crap. Or when it's cold.

Women should avoid sweatpants, really all people should. I'm being a total hypocrite here, but they just scream lazy. I'm trying to work on my wardrobe, hoping to get some christmas money to help me out. First step is getting rid of sweatpants and graphic tee's

Quote:
Well, there are dozens of vented IEMs that won't give you much of a vacuum pressure. Hippo VB, Sony EX600/1000, JVC FX500/700, Radius DDMs and the FInal Audio Heaven series come to mind.

all of the IEM's i've tried have been vented in one way or another.. the maximo im-590s certainly are, and I don't notice any pressure issues on my MC5's either, so they must be vented somehow. Now that I think about it, I haven't tried too many iems, I just couldn't imagine them not being somewhat vented. 

Dec 23, 2011 at 2:59 AM Post #1,627 of 3,746

JVC FXC51 review - http://www.head-fi.org/products/jvc-hafxc51r-new-micro-hd-in-ear-headphones-red/reviews/6009

"Definately could see people paying $150+ for this and not being disappointed."

"Sadly enough, I prefer these over my IE8's with an aftermarket cable, and those together retail for about $400 together!"

The best part:

"Cons: Bass anemic"

Give me a break lol, without EQ my ears were ringing from the FXC51 bass!  I had to EQ it down, I'm not investigating that one, lol at the other comments too.

Dec 23, 2011 at 3:14 AM Post #1,628 of 3,746

Quote:
Women should avoid sweatpants, really all people should. I'm being a total hypocrite here, but they just scream lazy. I'm trying to work on my wardrobe, hoping to get some christmas money to help me out. First step is getting rid of sweatpants and graphic tee's

It depends on the context. If you're walking around in flip flops with your hands on your hips like Carl from Aqua Teen Hunger Force, sure. But if you're out on a cold morning in sweat pants, what's the problem? I can't think of a better alternative to wear when jogging.

Dec 23, 2011 at 3:39 AM Post #1,631 of 3,746

I think I've solved the Teclast T51 mystery.

There are defective units, so those people that couldn't hear the pure gold weren't deaf, and I don't like listening to "hidden fake DSP", they were all just listening to... defective pure gold.

I don't want to kill the T51 or anything because it's one of the best DAP's I know of, surpassing the Cowon S9 and HM-601 for instance.

It's a shame, it has so much appreciation, and there are DIY'ers that love it's sound, rolling the opamps, upgrading capacitors and charge pump IC (whatever that is?), and now this? A fake? Really?

Example of DIY skills - http://akiccyo-zakki.blogspot.com/2011/02/t51.html

Thread about "defective units" - http://www.markuskraus.com/RMAA/sflo2_bad_sound.htm

Evidence in data: http://www.hifi-forum.de/viewthread-125-7195.html versus http://www.markuskraus.com/RMAA/sflo2_bad_sound.htm

I want to resign from Chinese technology.

Dec 23, 2011 at 3:53 AM Post #1,633 of 3,746

Quote:
It depends on the context. If you're walking around in flip flops with your hands on your hips like Carl from Aqua Teen Hunger Force, sure. But if you're out on a cold morning in sweat pants, what's the problem? I can't think of a better alternative to wear when jogging.

*shuts his mouth*

I think they are appropriate for jogging :) 

Like I said, being a hyprocrite, despite them looking trashy, I wear sweatpants a lot right now. 

Dec 23, 2011 at 3:53 AM Post #1,634 of 3,746
Quote:

all of the IEM's i've tried have been vented in one way or another.. the maximo im-590s certainly are, and I don't notice any pressure issues on my MC5's either, so they must be vented somehow. Now that I think about it, I haven't tried too many iems, I just couldn't imagine them not being somewhat vented. 

Most dynamic driver IEMs are, but almost none of the BA/MA based ones. And even with dynamics there's a difference between tiny vents and an open back design. Folks who're sensitive to pressure will probably notice it with the MC5, since their isolation is pretty good, but I can't imagine them having pressure issues with open-back IEMs like the JVCs.

Dec 23, 2011 at 3:55 AM Post #1,635 of 3,746

Like tears in rain, it's time to go offline, I have too much to focus on outside of audio.

Bai bai ~

​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
/ kiteki​
 ​

Users who are viewing this thread

Back