The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2
Dec 20, 2012 at 9:11 AM Post #3,901 of 21,761
So, anyone going to one of those stupid "end of the world" parties?

I marked the passing of the second millennium at a party in an anarchist squat. Since then I've been through a few more ends of the world without feeling any particular motivation to commemorate them: after you've destroyed the planet once, the encores seem hollow.

Although I like your end time scenario. It reminds me of Arthur C Clarke's "The Nine Billion Names of God".

Dec 20, 2012 at 9:20 AM Post #3,902 of 21,761
Another new headphone....

​
Aëdle VK-1 Valkyrie 
 ​

MSRP: 325 USD ("Classic") and 360 USD ("Carbon")​
 ​
http://www.aedle.net/#top​
 ​
I know nothing about these things, though they plan to have them at CES next year, so perhaps we'll see some impressions at that point. The page seems to emphasize the materials and design more than anything else. This is the FR they provide, for what it's worth:

​

Dec 20, 2012 at 10:29 AM Post #3,904 of 21,761
I've been doing a bit of "semi-analytical" listening this morning with some of my favorite IEMs. Working on another diary entry atm which will have more of my thoughts, but I'll say this now:

I think the Ocharaku Flat-4 SUI can hold its own against the likes of the FI-BA-SS, K3003, and TG 334. There's a pretty big gap in terms of price but not in performance. I love the Flat-4.

Quote:
Pretty, but how do they adjust?

Stylishly.

Dec 20, 2012 at 10:51 AM Post #3,905 of 21,761
I heard a rumor that Wadia closed it's doors last month. They were owned by some Italian company that also owns Audio Research and Sonus Faber. I hope we're not going to lose a bunch of the high-end audio companies now. But the trend over the last few years seems to be away from dedicated audio gear and towards home theater stuff.

Dec 20, 2012 at 11:52 AM Post #3,907 of 21,761
I haven't been able to listen to them much yet, but I've liked what I've heard so far.  They really do seem neutral, but have this elusive euphony to them that I assume people are referring to when they reference "that magic."  Nag me about this in a day two after I've gotten this ******* FedEx.

Dec 20, 2012 at 12:17 PM Post #3,908 of 21,761
I'm quite excited about this: http://www.oyaide.com/audio/press_files/pdf/HPC_HD598_info_JP.pdf

I finally get to have a true, shorter cable for the HD598... the one that I jerry-rigged out of the stock cable works, but at least I won't be afraid whether or not this thing will break...

Quote:
Another new headphone....

Aëdle VK-1 Valkyrie 
 ​
I know nothing about these things...

Will PM you...

Quote:
I've been doing a bit of "semi-analytical" listening this morning with some of my favorite IEMs. Working on another diary entry atm which will have more of my thoughts, but I'll say this now:

I think the Ocharaku Flat-4 SUI can hold its own against the likes of the FI-BA-SS, K3003, and TG 334. There's a pretty big gap in terms of price but not in performance. I love the Flat-4.

Nice! Tea leaves FTW!

Dec 20, 2012 at 12:23 PM Post #3,909 of 21,761
Quote:
I haven't been able to listen to them much yet, but I've liked what I've heard so far.  They really do seem neutral, but have this elusive euphony to them that I assume people are referring to when they reference "that magic."  Nag me about this in a day two after I've gotten this ******* FedEx.

Will do! :wink:

Thanks.

Dec 20, 2012 at 12:53 PM Post #3,910 of 21,761
I have an anime question for the diary.  I have seen some ( actually very few) anime's in my time (Ghost in The Shell comes to mind) but not enough to be a good judge of them.  I have a niece that is borderline autistic.  She's 21 years old but has the maturity of someone much younger.  I'd say 12-14 yo or thereabouts.  She very much likes anime but her parents have asked me for advice on what to allow her to see.  Now, I know that anime runs the gamut from very appropriate for small children to way out there in terms of mature themes.  Could I get some advice (yes/no, why) on a few shows that she's interested in?  Would you be ok with your niece watching the following:

The Bakugan series
Beyblade Metal Fusion
Black Butler
Black Cat
the Darker than Black series
Deltora Quest
the Digimon series
Fairy Tail
Full metal Alchemist
Inuyasha
MAR
Moble Fighter G Gundam
Naruto
Naruto Shippuden
One Piece
the Pokemon series
Spice and Wolf
Yu-gi-oh 5Ds
Yu-gi-oh GX
Zoids New Century Zero

I would ask in the anime thread but I have never set foot in there.  I've been following lurking in this thread almost since its original beginnings and feel that I know you all and would feel more comfortable with your advice.  Thank you very much from me and from my niece.

Dec 20, 2012 at 1:20 PM Post #3,911 of 21,761
They show Bakugan, Beyblade, Digimon, Pokemon, and Yu-Gi-Oh on television networks geared toward children, so I'd imagine those shows would be fairly safe. Out of those I've only really watched Pokemon, and that's definitely something I'd be comfortable with letting someone younger I cared about watch.

Fullmetal Alchemist is a rather well done series, though if she has the maturity of a 12-year-old it may be pushing it. I'd say it would be toward the upper limit (since you said 12 to 14), ie. closer to 14+. That's the original series. The later revision, Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood, is definitely for a more mature audience.

From what little I've seen of Inuyasha, I think that would be okay for her. Same with Naruto, though that has more of an emphasis on physical violence, so if that sort of thing disturbs her you may want to avoid that one.

Can't help with the others... sorry! We're got a lot of anime fans in here tho, so you should get some good answers.

Dec 20, 2012 at 1:25 PM Post #3,912 of 21,761
Something my parter and I have noticed in manga and anime is that particularly in stories set with high school aged protagonists, there is usually a member of the protagonist's circle that displays traits on the Asbergers spectrum: flat affect, literal mind, a directness in interactions that can occasionally be strange or frustrating to other characters.

The interesting thing is that in American media these are frequently treated as flaws to be fixed or overcome, but in anime the character is as often as not accepted on these terms. They are appreciated as friends and for their loyalty to the group, and their intelligence and indefatigable nature are their contributions to the story.

In other words, in the west a girl's nerdiness is only useful as a plot device for the third act princess makeover by the other characters. In the east her nerdieness is her greatest strength and its what saves the other characters.

I don't know where I'm going with this ramble.

Anyway, yeah, some well chosen anime is a great idea. I don't have many useful suggestions because I have no idea what's out there now, but its definitely a place to find positive role models for your niece.

Dec 20, 2012 at 1:27 PM Post #3,914 of 21,761
Quote:

The Bakugan series
Beyblade Metal Fusion
Black Butler
Black Cat
the Darker than Black series
Deltora Quest
the Digimon series
Fairy Tail
Full metal Alchemist
Inuyasha
MAR
Moble Fighter G Gundam
Naruto
Naruto Shippuden
One Piece
the Pokemon series
Spice and Wolf
Yu-gi-oh 5Ds
Yu-gi-oh GX
Zoids New Century Zero

The ones I bolded are straightforward action and adventure with not too many underlying themes, apart from your standard friendship values, and the occasional crush or two.

Dragon Ball & Dragon Ball Z should be on that list too.

Dec 20, 2012 at 1:45 PM Post #3,915 of 21,761
G Gundam, Darker than Black (sucks anyways, imo), and Full Metal are pushing it.

The subbed version of One Piece (which can be viewed freely online) is a bit more graphic than the 4Kids version but should still be fine.

Everything that eke bolded should be good too.  It's probably worth noting that there's enough content in Pokemon fandom to keep someone occupied for a lifetime.  I still default on it at my lowest points.

-Edit-

Maybe add Sonic X to the list?

Also, maybe Card Captor Sakura and that CGI SD Gundam series?

-Edit again-

I kind of want to add the Toonami version of Gundam Wing because it was basically made for teenage girls and lacks some things that would prevent me from recommending a lot of other Gundam series, but that may be pushing it too. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back