The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2
Nov 5, 2013 at 4:16 PM Post #19,367 of 21,761
  I envy you Americans and your whole living on-campus thing.

I have often heard that it contributes to your great sense of independent spirit. *plays some patriotic music*

And how is this over where you live? (Truly interested to know)
Down here we don't really live on campus (mostly athletes I think), but we rent apartments and houses near the University campus.

Nov 5, 2013 at 7:01 PM Post #19,369 of 21,761

And how is this over where you live? (Truly interested to know)
Down here we don't really live on campus (mostly athletes I think), but we rent apartments and houses near the University campus.

While there is student housing available the majority of students live in the suburbs and commute to the universities.

This is also why many students still live at home, like for instance myself!

Nov 5, 2013 at 7:52 PM Post #19,370 of 21,761
I would not say most Americans go out of state. Some do, some don't. At many state universities & colleges, tuition for out of state residents is much higher than for in-state residents. So, you stay in-state to get the lower cost. In California, most students are in on-campus housing only their first year. Then you make friends and find an apartment for the next years. Dorm living was fun - but it's not for everyone. I can tell you that even 30 years later, I am in touch with several people that I met in that 1 year in on-campus housing.

Nov 5, 2013 at 8:08 PM Post #19,371 of 21,761
I think going to college you have a certain sense of freedom as you enter into the world at large, so even though money is tighter you have this desire to spend it on your whims more freely.

Also music consumption just goes hand-in-hand with college. I remember that was a time of great discovery for me, learning about artists and genres of which I was previously unawares. Went from thinking Radiohead, Beck, and Gorillaz were the only artists worth listening to, to listening to everything from Aesop Rock to The Zombies (WAY too many 'TOs" in that last sentence...).

Now I'm all nostalgic.

While my musical horizon didn't expand as eccentric as hers, this is true for me too. Hell, I think I money-pinch more after graduating... Which makes sense though.

This is also true for other media such as anime :p

Nov 6, 2013 at 2:19 AM Post #19,372 of 21,761
After an extremely terrible week, I just finished a very loose mini-review of the MOE Audio SS01 (it's the JVC FXT90, but different).

It's probably the most careless review I've written in a while, but one of the most satisfying as well:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/689069/mini-review-moe-audio-ss01-warning-tongue-in-cheek-and-tacky

Nov 6, 2013 at 4:27 AM Post #19,374 of 21,761
Anyone a fan of Jose James? I like his music, but he seems to be better live (something about his sonorous voice fits the live environment better than the recording booth, where it becomes too dense and thick, and lacking dynamic dimension), so I listen to his stuff on YouTube more than CD...

Nov 6, 2013 at 4:47 AM Post #19,375 of 21,761
After an extremely terrible week, I just finished a very loose mini-review of the MOE Audio SS01 (it's the JVC FXT90, but different).

It's probably the most careless review I've written in a while, but one of the most satisfying as well:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/689069/mini-review-moe-audio-ss01-warning-tongue-in-cheek-and-tacky

The HA-FXT90 doesn't command a large price tag these days. Amazon Japan has it on sale for just over ¥6000, which is basically just around the same price as the SS01. So while the SS01 does seem to be superior than the FXT90, what's to say that the brand-conscious consumer picks the more famous and better-looking FXT90 even at the expense of sound quality?

So you're implying the SS01 is better than the FXT90? Interesting. It seems when I have the money, I should buy this and do a comparison. Should be fun, since I still think the JVC is pretty good.

Nov 6, 2013 at 4:51 AM Post #19,376 of 21,761
So you're implying the SS01 is better than the FXT90? Interesting. It seems when I have the money, I should buy this and do a comparison. Should be fun, since I still think the JVC is pretty good.

You want to just try it out? Send me a PM and I'll shoot it over to you some time. I didn't get to compare it directly, but I don't remember the FXT90 impressing me as much as the SS01, and my standards have risen since then as well.

Nov 6, 2013 at 5:32 AM Post #19,377 of 21,761
Tom, thanks for the avatar! 
redface.gif

Nov 6, 2013 at 6:56 AM Post #19,379 of 21,761
Well, I got my Nexus 5. It's a great phone but I realise now that a 5 inch phone really demands two handed use. Not sure if I'm so keen on that...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back