The Decware TABOO MK 111 Thread
Apr 8, 2013 at 1:56 PM Post #271 of 2,112
Amperex 6DJ8 orange globes were my favorite with beyer T1s.

Phillips 6922 gold pins were pretty good as well.

I briefly had some siemens 7308s but I didn't feel they were worth the high price Imo.

Apr 8, 2013 at 2:09 PM Post #272 of 2,112
Shipping Dept!

Apr 8, 2013 at 2:45 PM Post #273 of 2,112
Quote:
Thanks for the info Frank!  Any suggestions for the 6922/6DJ8/6N1P family?

I like the Bugle Boy 6dj8,Siemans ecc888,amperex orange globes as well as the matsusuita 6922 and Mullard 2492, sylvania 6dj78 and Genelx 6922. The great thing about using the 6922 you only need one tube and they are easy to find  so you can tune the amp to satisfy your taste. I am using the Siemand in the amp  right now. All are excellent. I also have the Voshod 6n1P . I have all the driver tubes I will ever need for this amp.   I like them all too.

Apr 8, 2013 at 2:49 PM Post #274 of 2,112
Quote:
Amperex 6DJ8 orange globes were my favorite with beyer T1s.

Phillips 6922 gold pins were pretty good as well.

I briefly had some siemens 7308s but I didn't feel they were worth the high price Imo.

Thanks!  Woo, I see some of those orange globes and the Philips gold pins can get pretty expensive.
There's so many options in that family it can be a bit overwhelming.  I was thinking about a Philips PCC88/7DJ8 from Upscale that they say is compatible with virtually any product using 6922 or 6DJ8 and sounds good.  Does anyone see any problems with this or think its a poor option?

Apr 8, 2013 at 2:53 PM Post #275 of 2,112
Quote:
Quote:
Thanks for the info Frank!  Any suggestions for the 6922/6DJ8/6N1P family?

I like the Bugle Boy 6dj8,Siemans ecc888,amperex orange globes as well as the matsusuita 6922 and Mullard 2492, sylvania 6dj78 and Genelx 6922. The great thing about using the 6922 you only need one tube and they are easy to find  so you can tune the amp to satisfy your taste. I am using the Siemand in the amp  right now. All are excellent. I also have the Voshod 6n1P . I have all the driver tubes I will ever need for this amp.   I like them all too.

Wow, options galore!  Thanks for the help.  Maybe I need to try a few just to be safe...

My limited understanding is the output tubes will have the greatest impact, followed by the input tube, and lastly the rectifier.  Is this even vaguely correct?

Apr 8, 2013 at 3:57 PM Post #277 of 2,112
Quote:
Wow, options galore!  Thanks for the help.  Maybe I need to try a few just to be safe...

My limited understanding is the output tubes will have the greatest impact, followed by the input tube, and lastly the rectifier.  Is this even vaguely correct?

The driver is very noticeable the rectifier less so but the EL84 all sound different as well. There are so many cool options for the amp..

Apr 8, 2013 at 5:25 PM Post #278 of 2,112
Quote:
Shipping Dept!

Keep rubbing it in...
frown.gif
  But congrats anyway, can't wait for your impressions...and pics.

Apr 8, 2013 at 6:02 PM Post #279 of 2,112
What's nice about CSP2 and Taboo (only commenting on these as they're the only Decwares I've heard) - they don't need expensive tubes to sound really exceptional. It's something to note: they change the rules quite a lot and open the field right up - probably because they are (I understand) very simple circuits with excellent execution. I think this makes them highly transparent to tube changes and less fussy at the same time.

Whereas the Lyr demanded expensive tubes. I was gratified by the improvement I got from Matsu 6922s over stock and some other tubes, but never was I going to buy a pair of tubes that cost more than the amp itself!!

V-Duh, get Steve Deckert's advice about the 7DJ8. It runs at a different heater voltage. Steve does tricks with voltages himself, but this...might work, might not.

Apr 8, 2013 at 9:09 PM Post #280 of 2,112
Quote:
What's nice about CSP2 and Taboo (only commenting on these as they're the only Decwares I've heard) - they don't need expensive tubes to sound really exceptional. It's something to note: they change the rules quite a lot and open the field right up - probably because they are (I understand) very simple circuits with excellent execution. I think this makes them highly transparent to tube changes and less fussy at the same time.

Whereas the Lyr demanded expensive tubes. I was gratified by the improvement I got from Matsu 6922s over stock and some other tubes, but never was I going to buy a pair of tubes that cost more than the amp itself!!

V-Duh, get Steve Deckert's advice about the 7DJ8. It runs at a different heater voltage. Steve does tricks with voltages himself, but this...might work, might not.

+1 I have no desire to tube roll at all.  I'm very happy with the stock tubes.

Apr 9, 2013 at 4:26 PM Post #281 of 2,112
My Taboo has shipped. Should arrive early next week, but work travel will prevent me from hearing it right away. Damned work, getting in the way of the important things in life like new gear. 

Apr 9, 2013 at 5:37 PM Post #283 of 2,112
Quote:
I can't even imagine. Hopefully, you will have some time to veg out when you get back home. I expect a full write up with pictures!!!!!

+1

Quote:
My Taboo has shipped. Should arrive early next week, but work travel will prevent me from hearing it right away. Damned work, getting in the way of the important things in life like new gear. 

Sweet!!

Apr 9, 2013 at 10:44 PM Post #284 of 2,112
Quote:

We are in the same boat. Mine arrives Thursday. I get home Friday and I have 3 consecutive weekends booked with a ton of work travel until May.....Seems I have to pay for this somehow...
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back