The Decware TABOO MK 111 Thread
Apr 7, 2013 at 9:56 AM Post #256 of 2,112
My very simplistic understanding is that essentially dual 3 pin xlr's are the same as a single 4pin.

With 2 4pin XLR connections you can hook up 2 balanced headphones, with dual 3 pin XLR's you could only hook up a single headphone.

So basically you would need two 3 pin xlr's to hook up your headphones, one for each speaker.

Apr 7, 2013 at 10:08 AM Post #257 of 2,112
Anderoan,

Sorry for the undo influence....
very_evil_smiley.gif

It will be my first Balanced amp as well, so I am shopping some Balanced cables for my HD800's....Choices.....

You will have plenty of power for the HifiMan HP's That should be a nice pairing.

Short word on tubes is Decware sounds great with inexpensive and readily available tubes. You can get pricey NOS (New Old Stock) ones but it is not necessary to enjoy the Taboo.

Welcome to it... 

beerchug.gif

Apr 7, 2013 at 10:12 AM Post #258 of 2,112
ok thanks, that goes along with my understanding, so with the 3 pin XLRs that they offer as stock, both of them have to be used for one headphone? so it looks like I will stay with the 4 pins, and get a good 3 pin adaptor, swee, this stuff is getting pretty easy, lol, yea right,

Apr 7, 2013 at 10:16 AM Post #259 of 2,112
Quote:
Anderoan,

Sorry for the undo influence....
very_evil_smiley.gif

It will be my first Balanced amp as well, so I am shopping some Balanced cables for my HD800's....Choices.....

You will have plenty of power for the HifiMan HP's That should be a nice pairing.

Short word on tubes is Decware sounds great with inexpensive and readily available tubes. You can get pricey NOS (New Old Stock) ones but it is not necessary to enjoy the Taboo.

Welcome to it... 

beerchug.gif

LOL, yes you owe me or I owe you,
blink.gif
, I will know in a few weeks, 

but that was a great write up on your vist to Decware, very informative, started to answer some of my newbie ?s, I am on page 4 which is good, cuz I have alot to learn and that will give me some time to do so!

Apr 7, 2013 at 10:23 AM Post #261 of 2,112
oh yes that's true, and an easy fix also, but at this point I have no balanced cables, I can't imagine there being any didference between the 3 or 4 pin XLRs? so any of them that I will be getting will be to order,

Apr 7, 2013 at 10:53 AM Post #262 of 2,112
Quote:
wondering if I can get some ?s answered, I am in line for the MKIII! my first venture into a home rig, which I thought I'd never do it, but I got some full sized headgear (HE400 & 500, and HD600 & 650s) and want to hear how it can sound out of something nice, other then thru my portable grear, which really sounds awesome, and then I came across Erics visit to Decware, I was sunk from there, well that and there introductory offer,

I will be using my iPod thru my CLAS or HP-P1 as a source, I guess I don't need a 3.5 input jack as the 3.5 to RCAs sould do just fine?

I asked about getting one 3 and one 4 pin XLR as outputs? as I don't have any balanced cables atm. I thought it would be nice to have the flexaability with one of each? or will adapters work nicely, get 2 4 pins, and and adapters to 3 pin XLRs? are there any advantages to having one pin over the other? my first step into balanced cables, and I don't really know a damned thing? I feel as if I am jumping in over my head, is the Taboo a good first step for a newbie? oh well too late Steve took my down payment, lol,

and maybe a 3.5 output with lower gain for IEMs? which will more then likely prove futile? as the gain should be fine for IEMs as is? and overkill with the MKIII, will more then likely just fall in love with the HEs? 

any suggestions as for trying out tubes, I read on some earlier in the thred, still have alot more to read up on though, ggrrrr, this is going to be fun and expensive? I would like to get some ahead of time to try out? and I don't know a damned thing about tubes euther? there where some listed up on Decwares site, yep I am over my head, luckily I can hold my breath, lol,

thanks! 

Based on your headphones the Taboo MK111 will be perfect. My review is in the process of being completed and should be up shortly but I can say this for both low impedance and high impedance headphones this amplifier is a terrific solution. I prefer the headphones using the 4 pin balanced inputs which I will cover in the review in detail as well as using it single ended which I have been doing as well.   

Apr 7, 2013 at 11:07 AM Post #263 of 2,112
Hey Frank,  thanks for the input, I know I am going down the right path, with my headphones, and now the MKIII, thanks to Eric, his tour/reviw couldn't have come at a better time, and you've also been a big help aswell Frank, so I will look forward to reading your full reviewFrank, well I am slowly getting there because alot of what still gets said seems like greek to me, lol, thanks all!

Apr 7, 2013 at 11:54 AM Post #264 of 2,112
Join the newbie swimming uphill club! I had been in love with the Decware product since I first fIrst found it on the forum. Skylab, Frank, AiDee, JazzerDave, Longbow, I blame them all! At least you have some good headphones to play with! I am still undeclared.

Current plan... DACiT comes in on Tuesday. Order the new Mad Dog Alpha 4-pin balanced and HD800 on the 15th when I get paid and then eat ramen noodles until I pay all this gear off!

Matt

Apr 7, 2013 at 1:29 PM Post #266 of 2,112
Longbow, how will you use your hd800 with your csp once you go balanced? An adapter? I havent considered a balanced cable for the HD800 yet due to the SET out on CSP???

If you have a headphone terminated in 4-pin XLR you can always use an adapter to use it with a single-ended amp. If you have a headphone wired for SE, and use an aadapter to go from 1/4" to a balanced connection, you'll blow the amp or at the very least trip the protection circuitry.

Apr 7, 2013 at 2:51 PM Post #267 of 2,112
Quote:
Quote:
Longbow, how will you use your hd800 with your csp once you go balanced? An adapter? I havent considered a balanced cable for the HD800 yet due to the SET out on CSP???

If you have a headphone terminated in 4-pin XLR you can always use an adapter to use it with a single-ended amp. If you have a headphone wired for SE, and use an aadapter to go from 1/4" to a balanced connection, you'll blow the amp or at the very least trip the protection circuitry.

Yep....4 Pin to SE adapter at the end of the cable....Now I have to decide which cable.....
tongue.gif

Apr 7, 2013 at 3:19 PM Post #268 of 2,112
Quote:
Join the newbie swimming uphill club! I had been in love with the Decware product since I first fIrst found it on the forum. Skylab, Frank, AiDee, JazzerDave, Longbow, I blame them all! At least you have some good headphones to play with! I am still undeclared.

Current plan... DACiT comes in on Tuesday. Order the new Mad Dog Alpha 4-pin balanced and HD800 on the 15th when I get paid and then eat ramen noodles until I pay all this gear off!

Matt

thanks Matt/aka ramen man, lol, yes welcome to a world of poverty but great audio, yea? lol, I think? and uphill for a while yes, but you have a great head start, Franks CSP2 will be a great asset, your lucky I found this thread a few days to late, or the bidding war would have gotten one of us onto a ketchup soup diet, mmm mmm yuck, lol,

Apr 7, 2013 at 5:50 PM Post #269 of 2,112
thanks Matt/aka ramen man, lol, yes welcome to a world of poverty but great audio, yea? lol, I think? and uphill for a while yes, but you have a great head start, Franks CSP2 will be a great asset, your lucky I found this thread a few days to late, or the bidding war would have gotten one of us onto a ketchup soup diet, mmm mmm yuck, lol,

Bring it on! I don't think anyone can out-cheap me! I may have to go to mowing the back yard grass by teeth if I keep going in this hobby!

If you hear me making barnyard animal sounds--- slap me!

I hope this setup I am envisioning comes together as well as I am daydreaming that it will go.

Apr 8, 2013 at 1:51 PM Post #270 of 2,112
Quote:
Quote:
Hey all,
I'd like to have some tubes on hand to compare when I recieve my Taboo.  I will try the Phillips 5R4GYS rectifier.  Would the Philips or Tungsram 6BQ5/EL84 offered by Upscale have any promise?  Any suggestions for something to try for the input tube?  There seem to be a lot of options in that family.
Thanks for the help

Both are tubes of excellent reputation. Also try Tubemaze for good used EKL84 tell Nikolay I recommended you I paid 75.00 for Amperex O getter and they are very nice and quiet strong tubes.

Thanks for the info Frank!  Any suggestions for the 6922/6DJ8/6N1P family?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back