The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!)
Mar 18, 2021 at 5:08 PM Post #31,563 of 35,336
There are 2 pages - 36 units - of OB HE-560's, most at $229, I wonder why so many returns? Has anyone heard of any problems with the HE-560 models? Perhaps hard to drive?
https://www.adorama.com/l/Used/Audi...FiMan~DJ-and-Studio-Headphones?sf=Price&st=de
I ordered a pair and wanted to give a quick thanks for posting this and recap my experience. I called and chatted with a sales rep before placing the order, he said they were customer returns and they have the full manufacturer warranty. Because they are so low priced he said there would be a $10 shipping charge. I ordered one of the $229 ones and it arrived quickly (I live in a nearby state), packed well. There was what looked like the original plastic wrap over the box re-sealed with clear tape, the box was in good shape and had an inspection sticker on the outside. Inside the headphones were complete (headphones in velvet covered fitted foam, cable, adapter, warranty card) and in good shape. The headphone cord was loosely coiled in the middle where I think originally the cord was more tightly packed in the middle and secured with a twist tie. There was a twist tie underneath the headphones, which was probably for the cord.

If you read the reddit threads on the HE-560V4, their reputation as needing desktop amplification I think is correct. I bought them because of the positive comments especially regarding sub-bass, which people said was better even than Sundara. Lack of good sub-bass was why I eventually sold my HE-400i. The HE-560V4 delivers on that front, and my quick listens leave me impressed, and not wanting to take them off my head. That's on my desktop amp. I tried running them off my Onkyo DP-S1 Rubato DAP, and with a balanced cable I have on hand (the DP-S1 is rated for 150 mW + 150 mW Balanced, 32 Ohms). They sound markedly worse on my DAP. Bass isn't as good, overall ability to cope well with complex music passages well just isn't there. My desktop amp drives the HE-560V4 much better. I think this is likely the reason there are a bunch that got returned to Adorama... I've seen the HE-560V4 sale get mentioned a number of times on sites like Slickdeals, and I'm guessing some of those customers don't know the first thing about headphone amplifiers, didn't like what they heard out of the box, and just returned the headphones.

Mar 18, 2021 at 10:12 PM Post #31,564 of 35,336
I ordered a pair and wanted to give a quick thanks for posting this and recap my experience. I called and chatted with a sales rep before placing the order, he said they were customer returns and they have the full manufacturer warranty. Because they are so low priced he said there would be a $10 shipping charge. I ordered one of the $229 ones and it arrived quickly (I live in a nearby state), packed well. There was what looked like the original plastic wrap over the box re-sealed with clear tape, the box was in good shape and had an inspection sticker on the outside. Inside the headphones were complete (headphones in velvet covered fitted foam, cable, adapter, warranty card) and in good shape. The headphone cord was loosely coiled in the middle where I think originally the cord was more tightly packed in the middle and secured with a twist tie. There was a twist tie underneath the headphones, which was probably for the cord.

If you read the reddit threads on the HE-560V4, their reputation as needing desktop amplification I think is correct. I bought them because of the positive comments especially regarding sub-bass, which people said was better even than Sundara. Lack of good sub-bass was why I eventually sold my HE-400i. The HE-560V4 delivers on that front, and my quick listens leave me impressed, and not wanting to take them off my head. That's on my desktop amp. I tried running them off my Onkyo DP-S1 Rubato DAP, and with a balanced cable I have on hand (the DP-S1 is rated for 150 mW + 150 mW Balanced, 32 Ohms). They sound markedly worse on my DAP. Bass isn't as good, overall ability to cope well with complex music passages well just isn't there. My desktop amp drives the HE-560V4 much better. I think this is likely the reason there are a bunch that got returned to Adorama... I've seen the HE-560V4 sale get mentioned a number of times on sites like Slickdeals, and I'm guessing some of those customers don't know the first thing about headphone amplifiers, didn't like what they heard out of the box, and just returned the headphones.
I like mine a lot as well. Bought at Christmas time new and got a good deal. Treble is a bit spicy, but a little bit of dampening and that’s taken care of.

Mar 19, 2021 at 1:51 PM Post #31,565 of 35,336
Not the buds live -,- they are horrible
YMMV. Buds live are an amazing value for the $60 Samsung has been selling them for if you trade in a $1 dollar store earphone. They are really comfortable to wear. I also picked up Buds+ for around $42 and Buds Pro for $76.50 (Edit) with some of the deals Samsung have had.

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2021 at 2:15 PM Post #31,568 of 35,336
Most definitely interested in this... The lowest I've managed to get it so far is around 140 after edu discount & buds+ trade in..
Watch out for sale prices on the Samsung tablets and watches which are sometimes well below market value. They recently had a Tab S7 for $280, a Tab S7+ for $380 and a Galaxy Watch 3 LTE for $160. They often give an additional bundle discount on buds when you buy a tablet or watch. So to get to the price there was the additional bundle discount. I also used an EPP discount. EDU also works. I bought earphones at the dollar store to trade in for $30 off. I purchased through a cashback portal for another 10% back which covered tax. I will sell the tablet for a profit more than what the Buds Pro cost making them free with some work.
I misremembered, it was $76.50 (not $78) stacking the discounts before the cashback.

Galaxy Buds Pro, Phantom Black SM-R190NZKAXAR
$76.50
Discount: $123.49

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2021 at 2:32 AM Post #31,569 of 35,336

That's great news, I had hoped the highly discounted HE560 V4's were like the highly discounted Hifiman HE6SE V2's which also need a lot of power to sound their best.

Probably at $269 more inexperienced people that don't know what is needed to drive the HE560 V4's buy them and return them wondering what went wrong, vs. $699 for the HE6SE V2, and that is why there aren't any (few) returns for the HE6SE V2. So there is nothing wrong with the HE560 V4's, new or returned.

I may pick up a HE560 V4 myself as I really love the sound of the HE6SE V2 + Ananda.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2021 at 10:23 AM Post #31,570 of 35,336
Last edited:
Mar 20, 2021 at 11:42 AM Post #31,571 of 35,336
Watch out for sale prices on the Samsung tablets and watches which are sometimes well below market value. They recently had a Tab S7 for $280, a Tab S7+ for $380 and a Galaxy Watch 3 LTE for $160. They often give an additional bundle discount on buds when you buy a tablet or watch. So to get to the price there was the additional bundle discount. I also used an EPP discount. EDU also works. I bought earphones at the dollar store to trade in for $30 off. I purchased through a cashback portal for another 10% back which covered tax. I will sell the tablet for a profit more than what the Buds Pro cost making them free with some work.
I misremembered, it was $76.50 (not $78) stacking the discounts before the cashback.

Galaxy Buds Pro, Phantom Black SM-R190NZKAXAR
$76.50
Discount: $123.49
Recently got in on the discount on the tab S7+ as well. Gorgeous OLED tablet. I prefer it over the ipad pro due to the quality display (And of course much much lower price with the Samsung discount) and I like Android OS better. I like Samsung devices a lot as they are well made in terms of software these days.

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2021 at 11:31 AM Post #31,573 of 35,336
For fellow 🇨🇦 head-fi'ers:

DUNU SpinFit Special Pack CP800+CP240 (Medium): $8.01 CAD shipped (Sold by Spinfit and Fulfilled by Amazon)

Amazon.ca Link

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back