The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!)
Nov 27, 2015 at 11:24 PM Post #18,946 of 35,332
There will ALWAYS be somebody here that knows more than you. And ears that hear everything better. That much will never change, no matter what you own.
rolleyes.gif

I set aside my Orpheus to make some witty remark about this but got distracted by the fleas farting on my neighbor's dog ...

Nov 27, 2015 at 11:32 PM Post #18,947 of 35,332
You both have points - the Senn 600 & 650 do scale to a scary level. You don't really NEED a TOTL amp to enjoy them... But it's hard to go back once you've heard the best, too. At the end of the day, it's all subjective - I've had a few brink-of-man-tears emotional moments listening to the HD650 out of a little $70 CMOY built in an Altoids case. It's all about what connects you with the music in the way YOU want to connect with it. Cost be damned. It's called personal audio for a reason. :)

Now, let's all be nice to each other and go back to talking about deals.

Nov 27, 2015 at 11:33 PM Post #18,948 of 35,332
There will ALWAYS be somebody here that knows more than you. And ears that hear everything better. That much will never change, no matter what you own.
rolleyes.gif

If this was ComputerFi, I'd be able to say something interesting on the subject. But sound is always a hard nut to crack.

For instance, my friend has a $5000 amp and dac setup, like 30 headphones, including a pair of some hefty expensive over $1000 headphones. He wheres them with pride when I visit, he tells me this and that, shows me this and that, and I play good cop/bad cop like any good friend would. I ask him if a headphone is fun, and he tells me about the technical side of sound. One day, he's wife tells me he uses the X2 more than any other headphone in his collection, and he denies it. Weird would we live in. Audiophilia is a mystery to me. 

To me its simple. I have a different amount of earwax than you do, so I highs/lows/mids are determined by the distribution of earwax in our ears. Super technical audiophile knowledge I read somewhere. I think my brain is an bit recessed and dark. Lotsa fun! My apologies. LOL!

Nov 27, 2015 at 11:41 PM Post #18,949 of 35,332
You both have points - the Senn 600 & 650 do scale to a scary level. You don't really NEED a TOTL amp to enjoy them... But it's hard to go back once you've heard the best, too. At the end of the day, it's all subjective - I've had a few brink-of-man-tears emotional moments listening to the HD650 out of a little $70 CMOY built in an Altoids case. It's all about what connects you with the music in the way YOU want to connect with it. Cost be damned. It's called personal audio for a reason.
smily_headphones1.gif

Now, let's all be nice to each other and go back to talking about deals.

I passed the brink lots of times. Audiophiles are too buff to admit passing the brink. You can do it!

Like the HD650 too. Not the 600 as much, which is weird, because its so special. In my eyes, its all a mood VS pride thing. Some days not even an HD800 sounds all that great. Other days, a Superlux can make you happy, which it does for many people. I can go back to it from the HD650, it just depends which one is closer to me. LOL!

Nov 27, 2015 at 11:57 PM Post #18,952 of 35,332
Decided to make use of audeze's 20% off B-stock sale and get some lcd2s. Cant wait to try them! As much as i love grado headphones id like to have a good example of a very different sound. I just hope they didnt oversell their bstock and that all orders go through well.

Anyone know what audeze's typical timeframe is for getting orders shipped out? Im wondering if they provide a tracking number at all...

Nov 28, 2015 at 12:06 AM Post #18,953 of 35,332
Decided to make use of audeze's 20% off B-stock sale and get some lcd2s. Cant wait to try them! As much as i love grado headphones id like to have a good example of a very different sound. I just hope they didnt oversell their bstock and that all orders go through well.

Anyone know what audeze's typical timeframe is for getting orders shipped out? Im wondering if they provide a tracking number at all...

I just ordered a cable. Shipped next day with tracking number. There pretty quick.

Nov 28, 2015 at 12:08 AM Post #18,954 of 35,332
One need not have an amazing rig, but a sufficiently good one and broad experience with several other quite good ones remain necessities.

Can't disagree with this. You need to "educate" yourself somewhat on what's available and what the standards are, and the only way is to do so via comparisons.

Also I think one of the most critical points of being a reviewer is that you need to have long-term access to so much gear (ie not auditioned at a meet) that the price of an item doesn't have any effect on you- then you can look past price anchoring and branding, to just focus on what you hear.

Just my two cents!

Nov 28, 2015 at 1:12 AM Post #18,956 of 35,332
Nov 28, 2015 at 2:57 AM Post #18,958 of 35,332
I don't know if this was posted yet, but there is a deal on the sennheiser hd800 at amazon.ca 
1,360.00 CAD which works out to ~1000 USD
http://www.amazon.ca/Sennheiser-HD800-Over-Ear-Circum-Aural-Headphone/dp/B001OTZ8DA

Users who are viewing this thread

Back