The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!)
Jul 30, 2015 at 4:51 PM Post #16,261 of 35,377
  I bet you don't regret it even for that price. Guys that have this phone should do this mod. It is very easy.

Take some thin foam 1/4 thick. Very important that it is not thicker than 1/4 inch. I am using flooring insulation foams. Cut out roughly the diameter of the cups. unstick the pads from the base of the cups by running your fingers around the bottom of the pads to separate the pad from base of the cup, it is stuck on there with a bit of glue. Then put the foams underneath.

Will bring the phones to a new level and it certainly will not sound like your garden variety $200 phone.

Exactly what kind of sonic effect with this have?

Jul 30, 2015 at 6:06 PM Post #16,262 of 35,377

moar base

+1 on the Philips, after 100hrs of break-in they sound fantastic. First 50hrs is like glass shards being stuffed into your ear drum (ok so that's a bit over emphasizing but it's there) unless you have a warm source.

Jul 30, 2015 at 7:19 PM Post #16,264 of 35,377
  3 months of Tidal for free:

http://go.tidal.com/us/reg/US2000/usTIDAL6VBk4gGTICJIMMY/PREMIUM

Oh damn, maybe going to have to try it now... but then I remember Jay-Z's big rant about big corp trying to ride that conspiracy tidal wave... worth a try I suppose.

Jul 30, 2015 at 8:49 PM Post #16,266 of 35,377
  I bet you don't regret it even for that price. Guys that have this phone should do this mod. It is very easy.

Take some thin foam 1/4 thick. Very important that it is not thicker than 1/4 inch. I am using flooring insulation foams. Cut out roughly the diameter of the cups. unstick the pads from the base of the cups by running your fingers around the bottom of the pads to separate the pad from base of the cup, it is stuck on there with a bit of glue. Then put the foams underneath.

Will bring the phones to a new level and it certainly will not sound like your garden variety $200 phone.

I was reading back a few post but couldn't find what headphone is this mod for?  SHP9500 or AKG?

Jul 30, 2015 at 8:54 PM Post #16,267 of 35,377
Jul 30, 2015 at 8:56 PM Post #16,268 of 35,377

thanks
biggrin.gif
 I will try this in a few weeks after I move, everything is packed and ready to go.

Jul 30, 2015 at 9:29 PM Post #16,269 of 35,377

Beyond just more bass. This phone has impressive imagery which comes out in full force after this mod. The reason why the thinner 1/4 inch foams is important is I tried thicker stuff and it makes the phones more V shape with even more treble and bass which didn't sound right to my ears. Without the mod the cups end up laying flat ON the ears vs the sound channeling correct to them. After mod, I would imagine this is what Philips had in mind. If they actually put in some thicker fuller pads on the phones this mod would not be needed. 

After this mod you get a much better sense of image and space of vocals, instruments on stage and their proper depth in the recording.  Also due to the enhancement in the imagery it becomes a wicked gaming headphone for pin point accuracy for shooters.

Jul 30, 2015 at 9:32 PM Post #16,270 of 35,377
  Philips SHP9500 on Newegg for $45.98 ($44.99 + $0.99 shipping).
Coupon code: EMCAVPA85

A little bit cheaper this time.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826138190

Let's bump this for good measure and so be people can jump onboard.
biggrin.gif

Jul 30, 2015 at 9:39 PM Post #16,271 of 35,377
Agreed, for guys that are skeptical. Give it a go. It will shock you I am willing to bet. You want to talk about price to sound ratio. Lol. There is none greater imo. 

By the way while these are only rated at 32 Ohm these love some juice from a good portable or desktop amp. These scale very well from a good source.

To my ears these sound a bit like an open ATH-MSR7. Just unbelievable, especially after the mod.

Jul 30, 2015 at 10:03 PM Post #16,272 of 35,377
  Agreed, for guys that are skeptical. Give it a go. It will shock you I am willing to bet. You want to talk about price to sound ratio. Lol. There is none greater imo. 

By the way while these are only rated at 32 Ohm these love some juice from a good portable or desktop amp. These scale very well from a good source.

To my ears these sound a bit like an open ATH-MSR7. Just unbelievable, especially after the mod.

Tempted to get these.  But, I just can't imagine them beating out my current favorites - the ATH-WS99s.  Especially for EDM which is what I mostly listen to these days.

Jul 30, 2015 at 10:16 PM Post #16,273 of 35,377
Completely different sound signature. Your good with the WS99s. I happen to like a variety of sound signatures depending on my mood and music I am listening to. I can tell you the SHP9500 sound signature is much more in line with higher end phones than the WS99s.

Your used to a warmer fuller bass emphasized phone you might not like the SHP9500 as much. If you listen to more than edm you gotta try out one of these Philips phones. But then again you like them Titan1s.   You might dig these. Lol.  These won't win in the bass department against the WS99 but these will win in treble and mids for certain also with a wider stage, airiness in vocals and instruments, clarity is phenomenal on these.

If you don't own a proper open can. Give them a go. Don't cost much. I guarantee if you don't like them you can sell them off with ease.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back