The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!)
Dec 16, 2014 at 4:29 AM Post #10,609 of 35,332
  Well yeah, I plan to move into the Senns later on but if I were to have the X2 per se....would it be more of a sidegrade if I went with the HD600/650? and why isnt the HD700 much of an improvement?

And thats the reason why I need to look into those headphones because....well, its hard to choose which to go with later on....I kind of want to end my shopping headphones with the Senns.......

At least thats what I think lol

I already had the X1 but plan on buying the X2, Ordered the AKG K7XX, I have the HD598 but havent used it since I bought it on BF. I probably will buy 2 more headphones next year......I hope

oh wait, I also have a Sennheiser PC350 SE, Senn Momentum over ear, MA900, M50, and the A900X (which is still new in box) but probably will sell it since I dont think the wing system will work with me.....

But yeah.....

Ill be getting into Amps from here on out since I think that would make a big difference in sound overall.

I just wish I didnt have to spend so much money though lol but it has been worth it :)

I'm very interested in these comparisons as well. I read some comments regarding this on the X2 thread and the section from its InnerFidelity review. It seems like the X2 are pretty much in the same league or tier as the 600/650 and actually outclasses them in several areas (to what degree I'm not sure). I also have the X1 and was thinking about the X2, but recently pulled the trigger on the 600/650 during the holiday deals. I've always wanted to try these out regardless and am eager to find out how they sound.

Because of the X1's low impedance and the high output of the Lyr, I can raise the volume to maybe the 9 o'clock position before it gets too loud. With the X2, it would be a similar situation. It still sounds very nice, but I'm wondering if the harder-to-drive 600/650 will be a better match or maybe scale up more since it requires that kind of power. However, I want to get more opinions and see if it's indeed true that the X2 is actually superior to the Sennheisers.

Dec 16, 2014 at 7:27 AM Post #10,611 of 35,332
M80 is not for people with larger head size. I have bought it once. The headband could not extend far enough so the ear cups were sitting at the upper part of my ears. I had to return them. Now they have the XS model which was supposed to address this issue.

Dec 16, 2014 at 9:33 AM Post #10,612 of 35,332
Anyone know of any great deals on Philips X2?

Dec 16, 2014 at 10:08 AM Post #10,614 of 35,332
Dec 16, 2014 at 10:21 AM Post #10,615 of 35,332
Re: The HD650 veil, it certainly doesn't have as much emphasis on the treble as many other headphones, but it would be incorrect to say they're lacking in detail. Many people look to treble for detail, but a treble tilt only gives you the illusion of detail. There's plenty of detail in the mids on the HD650's (and the treble as well); it just doesn't have in-your-face treble that makes the high end details more noticeable. I find the HD650's approach to be pleasing and non-fatiguing. I've been wanting to upgrade because it's only in the mid-range price as far as headphones go, but I haven't yet found something I thought was significantly better.

Dec 16, 2014 at 10:25 AM Post #10,616 of 35,332
  Velodyne VTrue headphones at their website for $90-$100. M.S.R.P.was $349. Bass is awesome, mids and highs leave a bit to be desired but for the price,  they deserve a listen. Build quality is as good as I have seen (and I own 22 phones).

Where are you finding these on their website for this price? They are listed on the regular page for $399 (currently OOS) refurbished for $199 and under "special deals" for $199 (I suspect they are refurbished as well). For your quoted $90-100, I would get a pair, but not $200 (even though I love my vPulse and would not mind the same sound signature in an over ear). I do see the vFree refurbished for $99 but am not interested in BT 'phones at the moment...

Dec 16, 2014 at 10:33 AM Post #10,617 of 35,332
  Re: The HD650 veil, it certainly doesn't have as much emphasis on the treble as many other headphones, but it would be incorrect to say they're lacking in detail. Many people look to treble for detail, but a treble tilt only gives you the illusion of detail. There's plenty of detail in the mids on the HD650's (and the treble as well); it just doesn't have in-your-face treble that makes the high end details more noticeable. I find the HD650's approach to be pleasing and non-fatiguing. I've been wanting to upgrade because it's only in the mid-range price as far as headphones go, but I haven't yet found something I thought was significantly better.

I've been thinking about what would be a next step up if I want more like the HD650.  I heard the LCD-2 is like an HD650+.  I love the planar bass on my HE-4, but if I could combine the HD650 with the bass and openness of the HE-4, I could sell both headphones.

I'm not ready to upgrade anytime soon, I just got these, but doesn't hurt to start looking and keep my eyes open for a killer deal.  :-D

Dec 16, 2014 at 10:39 AM Post #10,618 of 35,332

The veil is largely amp dependent, smaller, weaker amps exaggerate it a great deal. The more the amp can control the driver, the more detailed they become.

Dec 16, 2014 at 11:22 AM Post #10,619 of 35,332
The veil is largely amp dependent, smaller, weaker amps exaggerate it a great deal. The more the amp can control the driver, the more detailed they become.

I believe that this pertains most, if not all, dynamic speakers and headphones.  Its all about the amp controlling the driver through the whole frequency spectrum.

Dec 16, 2014 at 11:35 AM Post #10,620 of 35,332
I agree that the amp makes a difference. I also agree that the hd 650's are magic. But as a musician who wants to hear everything, I felt that the action of what was happening, particularly on the drummer's ride cymbal and snare, was missing just enough to want more. I tried them on several amps and systems before I decided on the hd 600's. The 650's were however , inherently beautiful sounding. What a feeling! If I was purely a music lover I likely would have kept them, however some analysis and study always coincides with the enjoyment, and so far I've been happy with the hd 600's but the he 650's are still in my mind. At some point, less options can be better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back