The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!)
Dec 16, 2014 at 11:52 AM Post #10,621 of 35,338
I believe that this pertains most, if not all, dynamic speakers and headphones.  Its all about the amp controlling the driver through the whole frequency spectrum.

I'm just saying that scaling with the HD650 is more open-ended than most other cans, and they don't really come into their own until you put the voltage to them.

Dec 16, 2014 at 12:20 PM Post #10,622 of 35,338
I think we need to cease anymore HD650 being veiled and amping discussion.

Back to deals everybody! 
wink.gif

V-MODA Crossfade LP2 for $74.99 via MS Store:
Coupon: Text FITBIT to 29502 and get a $25 off $75+ coupon.
Expired

Dec 16, 2014 at 1:33 PM Post #10,623 of 35,338
I'm just saying that scaling with the HD650 is more open-ended than most other cans, and they don't really come into their own until you put the voltage to them.

+1  
the amp that brings out the best in my 650s is the David Berning Micro-Zotl tube headphone amplifier, which is now out of production.
i wrote to David and asked him to consider re birthing it given the renewed interest in headphones around the globe and
he happily agreed!  it should be back in production and available sometime soon, probably March.  1 watt of patented igenious
tube technology that synchronizes in amazing ways with the 650s and planners such as the 400is, 560s and Oppo PM1, etc.
truly a breakthrough product, and thats with the stock tubes!!!!!  responds very well to upgraded days like Mojo-Audio NOS days also
with layers of revelation and detail in the music and gorgeous miss and highs in the above phones....

Dec 16, 2014 at 2:35 PM Post #10,625 of 35,338
Finding a good amp for the HD650 is very important to me. I sold/traded my HD650 because I couldn't afford a good amp. I was using Schiit Asgard and Little Dot MK3. Those amps are okay but I think HD650 could do more. I just bought the HD650 again and am interested in giving them another try.

MicroZOTL is a $750 amplifier and it is out of my budget (http://davidberning.com/products/microzotl). Any good alternatives in the $200 - $400 price range?

Thanks.

Dec 16, 2014 at 2:38 PM Post #10,626 of 35,338
  Finding a good amp for the HD650 is very important to me. I sold/traded my HD650 because I couldn't afford a good amp. I was using Schiit Asgard and Little Dot MK3. Those amps are okay but I think HD650 could do more. I just bought the HD650 again and am interested in giving them another try.

MicroZOTL is a $750 amplifier and it is out of my budget (http://davidberning.com/products/microzotl). Any good alternatives in the $200 - $400 price range?

Thanks.

I love my Project Ember with them.  I've also heard that the Bottlehead Crack is a fantastic pairing.

Dec 16, 2014 at 3:28 PM Post #10,632 of 35,338

It says its the IE80 east model. what is the difference between this and the regular model?

Language on packaging...That has always irked me, but if the discount is significant enough I won't care.

Version East:English, Polish, Russian, Turkish, Chinese Traditional, Chinese simplified, Korean
Version West: English, German, French, Spanish, Italian, Dutch, Portuguese

http://nl-nl.sennheiser.com/downloads/download/file/3331/542574_IE_80_SpSh_08_2011_GB_low.pdf

Dec 16, 2014 at 4:26 PM Post #10,635 of 35,338
For most, you can get the HD650 and a halfway decent amp, and your journey is done. Easy peasy...

But that's not all, the hd650 scales really well. It's amp picky, but once your get one that mates well, the pairing can be breathtaking. On a budget, the Beresford gear is quite surprising. I've heard much worse pairings for quite a bit more. My Meier gear seems to be voiced for the hd6xx, as it's such an easy listen.

Anyone on the fence, don't think twice... just go for it. With any luck, you may have ended your journey. Realistically, you're still reading the deal thread, so probably not!

I agree with this.  The Beresford Caiman Mkii is pretty darn good, especially for the money.  I'm currently just using the DAC section out to my Woo WA7, but as an DAC/Amp, it's good value for money.

on a semi related note given all the earlier exchanges, I didn't think much of my HD 650s at first.  But once I allowed either my head or the burn-in to occur, I would be hard pressed to part with them.

I also own the HD 700's...they're nice but very different.  Extremely comfy and detailed.  I like them.  I don't know that I need them given how much I'm enjoyin the ESP-950's, though.

HS

Users who are viewing this thread

Back