The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!)
Dec 2, 2014 at 3:48 PM Post #9,916 of 35,332
  can someone please recommend me a good pair of headphones for traveling?

I have had/tried a TON of headphones, here is what I would recommend
Bose QuietComfort 25 (Can't beat it for airline travel)
NAD VISO HP50  (Isolates pretty well, removable cable, and sounds great, comfortable)
RHA MA750 (earbuds - built like a tank, and fairly neutral)

The K550 requires a fairly large head to get a good seal...

Dec 2, 2014 at 3:50 PM Post #9,917 of 35,332
Dec 2, 2014 at 3:56 PM Post #9,918 of 35,332
Ok so far I have.....

Bose QuietComfort 25 
NAD VISO HP50
RHA MA750 
SoundMAGIC HP100/HP150.

K550
Momentum (don't like the design)

Lol i have no idea which to choose here.

anyway, thanks guys!
I will stop posting about this here since this is a deals thread.

Please post here if you have any suggestions

HERE:          http://www.head-fi.org/t/744524/where-is-the-sweet-spot-for-quality-headphones

Dec 2, 2014 at 4:54 PM Post #9,919 of 35,332
So far I've done some reading and research and came to conclusion that I really like the K550's looks and what people say about its sound quality, but I don't like that it doesn't have detachable headphones.
K551 also fails in this regard and I hear K545 is a downgrade for the sound quality.

The K545 is the same driver as the 550 and 551, just smaller ear cups. the 545 gets slightly more bass because of the better seal.

What about the AKG Teisto models?
http://www.akg.com/pro/headphones/dj-akg-by-tiesto

Dec 2, 2014 at 5:03 PM Post #9,920 of 35,332
  can someone please recommend me a good pair of headphones for traveling?

I'm looking for a good set of closed headphones for traveling (long international flights) and occasionally while working at home.
The criteria are:
1) be somewhat neutral headphones without too much artificial coloring
2) comfortable to wear for a long time
3) well constructed, does not feel or look cheap
4) detachable headphones
5) be under $400-$500 new (realistic retail price in US, such as Amazon) 
6) provides good isolation
7) closed headphones 

The kind of stuff I listen to:
1) electronic dance music
2) classical
3) audiobook
4) trendy pop music (hiphop, whatever)

The source most likely to be used:
1) iphone
2) Cowon player... maybe a DAC down the road.

In the past, I have tried:
1) ATH-M50x
2) premium IEMs (one dual driver UE, some single driver shures, etc)

So far I've done some reading and research and came to conclusion that I really like the K550's looks and what people say about its sound quality, but I don't like that it doesn't have detachable headphones.
K551 also fails in this regard and I hear K545 is a downgrade for the sound quality.
I like how the Grados look but they seem to be mostly open.

Bose Quiet comfort.  Nothing else comes close for your requirements. 

Dec 2, 2014 at 5:38 PM Post #9,921 of 35,332
Ok so far I have.....

Bose QuietComfort 25 
NAD VISO HP50
RHA MA750 
SoundMAGIC HP100/HP150.

K550
Momentum (don't like the design)

Lol i have no idea which to choose here.

anyway, thanks guys!
I will stop posting about this here since this is a deals thread.

Please post here if you have any suggestions

HERE:          http://www.head-fi.org/t/744524/where-is-the-sweet-spot-for-quality-headphones

Bose Quiet Comfort all the way for your needs. I don't know why anyone would mention the MA750. Sound isolation is only average, and the same goes for comfort. It's a good pair of IEMs, but a traveler's dream it is not.

Dec 2, 2014 at 6:18 PM Post #9,922 of 35,332

Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 80 ohms. Still $129 at Guitar Center. Pickup or free delivery. Supervisor at call center says NOT a Black Friday/Cyber Monday continuation. Expects deal through December. However, If you think you want them, buy now. Super could be wrong. They have a 30 day return policy with no restocking fee.

I'm still debating whether to get this one.  I'm curious to hear the Beyer sound and there's a Guitar Center in walking distance from my work...

I am a big fan of this headphone. Great isolation, great sound, great comfort. Not the most transparent hp, but very engrossing with big soundstage (for closed) and a fun sound sig. Really great for movies, games and bassy genres.

Dec 2, 2014 at 6:49 PM Post #9,924 of 35,332
Friendly reminder that Day 2 of the free tracks from Linn is up.  Should I stop posting reminders every day?

http://www.linn.co.uk/christmas

Dec 2, 2014 at 7:32 PM Post #9,926 of 35,332
  Rules are rules, fine, but when I see flipping in the classifieds I'm inclined to ignore it because I think it's actually good, not bad, for the community. Flippers are essentially providing liquidity. It's true, if you buy a pair of headphones in a sale for $100 and then sell them for $150, you might've prevented someone else from getting in at the sale price. On the other hand, the person who paid you $150 for them has demonstrated that he/she probably values them more than the person who would've paid the sale price.

There's a role in financial markets called market maker. A market maker quotes both a buy and a sell price on a financial instrument, and at any moment is buying from some people and selling to others. The sell price is slightly higher than the buy price, so the market maker makes money from the spread. Naively, a cynic might think that this person is skimming from the markets and not contributing anything. You could apply the same argument to financial instruments that Stillhart did to headphones to say that market making should be prohibited, and we should just hope that the buyer and seller eventually find each other so the buyer gets a better price.

In reality, though, the presence of market makers keeps prices uniform across the market, it reduces the cost of each transaction, and it ensures that anyone who wants to can buy or sell an instrument whenever they please. Before the presence of widespread electronic market making, transaction costs were a lot higher and markets were less efficient.

In head-fi terms, if you flip a pair of headphones, you've (1) provided someone looking to sell with a buyer at his asking price, (2) provided a buyer with a pair of headphones at a price that's agreeable to him, and (3) made sure those headphones ended up in the hands of someone who values them at what they're worth. In summation, you've provided a service to all parties involved and received a small compensation for it.

Head-fi likes to think of itself as a tight knit community, and turning a profit within it might seem unsavory. I think this is a misguided reaction, though. As a general rule of thumb, if you're buying from willing sellers and selling to willing buyers, and making money at it, you're doing something of value. Sometimes this principle is too broad, but the basic tenet of capitalism is that this holds most of the time, and in this case I think it applies.

If you are going to prohibit a type of transaction on the classifieds, it ought to be because the type of transaction is either bad for someone in the community (buyers, sellers, or maybe vendors), or belong somewhere else (for instance, vendors shouldn't be using the classifieds for free advertising). As I said above, I don't think the former is the case. As for the latter, flipping is not a viable business model, so there's no chance of the classifieds section becoming overly cluttered by people trying to make money. And so what if it did? Even if flipping became very prevalent at head-fi, the classifieds would remain a place where you go to buy or sell used headphones. It would just be easier and quicker to find a buyer or a seller.

So, yes, it's against the rules. But I wish it weren't.

The problem we have here is this: In the Terms of Service, we have a strict definition of what a "Member of the Trade" is: 

"Member of the Trade" includes (but is not limited to) manufacturers; individuals selling items he or she made for more than the cost of parts and/or actual shipping charges; individuals selling items acquired (or made by the individual and/or his associates) for the primary purpose of resale; individuals performing services (like modifications or any other service) for which the price charged is more than the cost of parts and/or actual shipping charges; dealers; distributors; manufacturer's representatives; importers; magazine and e-zine writers.

Basically, as soon as a person is making money as a going concern, they are, by definition, a Member of the Trade. "But I am only making a couple of bucks..." or "I'm not doing it as a business" wont cut it, as at what point then, or how do we define what a MOT is if we don't set the point a person is, by definition a MOT?

What has this got to do with selling deals for profit in the forums? That just answered itself. Maybe it is not obvious, but a LOT of people want to come here and abuse the community for profit, one way or another. There was a guy who created multiple accounts and posted affiliate links in the Deals' threads, people trying to use Head-Fi to start businesses and, not to mention, various group-buy fiascos. If the rules weren't absolute about this, we'd have a flood of people we really don't want here (Nigerian scammers none the less) and you wouldn't feel confident to trust anyone here. I still regularly find people signing up and posting spam in this thread (which is caught and held to be checked automatically).

So while I see your point, I disagree about it being misguided, because I daily prevent the consequences of what would result if we were lax. As people have already said, this is not against people buying and selling and making a profit, just the Head-Fi classifieds isn't the place to be doing it.

Dec 2, 2014 at 7:36 PM Post #9,927 of 35,332

Exactly. If I missed the sale but was still looking for a good deal on them (compared to the normal retail price) the marketplace would be the first place I checked in case someone who got the sale was reselling them. I don't see a problem.

If I had to guess at the reasoning:  there are people who were genuinely interested in buying these for themselves but couldn't because they sold out.  Now they're forced to pay more because someone bought them first to flip.  To those people, it's a load of ********.  Sure they may still be saving money, but not as much as they could have.  

Losing out on deal to someone who genuinely wants those headphones is life.  Losing out to someone who is just trying to flip and drive up the prices sucks.  That's not a way to build up a community.  We should be helping eachother find good deals (like in this thread), not preying on each other. 

There's nothing illegal about flipping and anyone who doesn't feel any moral qualms is more than welcome to do it.  But doing it here is bad for the community.

That's my theory at least.

Me personally?  I'm not above selling a used headphone for the same price or more than I paid for it.  Supply and demand will determine what's a reasonable price.  But I think it's shady to buy new JUST to flip for a profit. Ever try to buy Super Bowl tickets for face value?  How about tickets to a big concert?  I don't like being on the receiving end of that and I try to treat others like I'd like to be treated.  My $0.02.

they're not being forced to do anything;
and if the flipper caught the deal its kinda like exchanging his time/luck for money
one who wants to purchase can purchase a semi-discounted can after missing out on the full discount, otherwise he can purchase a no-discount can at an even higher cost, or not at all. win-win
but i agree that it's detrimental to the community.
doesnt really make sense, though, to sell on hf classifieds when ebays just two blocks over
some people make their living off of buying and selling for profit

Dec 2, 2014 at 8:04 PM Post #9,928 of 35,332
Logitech Ultimate Ears 350

http://www.dailysteals.com/p/38685/Logitech-Ultimate-Ears-Noise-Isolating-Headset-with-Microphone-and-Volume-Control-for-iPhone-and-Android-Smartphones--Choice-of-350vi-or-350vm-?__r=1&ref=cj

You can choose either the iphone or the android version.

Dec 2, 2014 at 8:09 PM Post #9,929 of 35,332
  Logitech Ultimate Ears 350

http://www.dailysteals.com/p/38685/Logitech-Ultimate-Ears-Noise-Isolating-Headset-with-Microphone-and-Volume-Control-for-iPhone-and-Android-Smartphones--Choice-of-350vi-or-350vm-?__r=1&ref=cj

You can choose either the iphone or the android version.

Nice deal, but not as nice as the MSRP may led you to believe. I believe they have been discontinued. Amazon has the non-remote version for $14.99 and remote versions for $20ish. $10 for a pair of IEMs though is pretty cheap, regardless of performance.

Dec 2, 2014 at 8:31 PM Post #9,930 of 35,332

Nice deal, but not as nice as the MSRP may led you to believe. I believe they have been discontinued. Amazon has the non-remote version for $14.99 and remote versions for $20ish. $10 for a pair of IEMs though is pretty cheap, regardless of performance.

yeah, you can get them for $22 to $25(remote versions) on amazon.

They don't make these anymore, but i do recall they use to be $50 back in the days.

I use my visang r02 for everything, as an all-rounder, so maybe this one will be a backup for me. I heard the bass on these were really good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back