The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!)
Dec 2, 2014 at 2:11 PM Post #9,901 of 35,319
It states in black and white in the head-Fi rules gear CANNOT be sold for a profit. People wanna flip stuff for coin there's plenty of places on the net to do so. The idea behind the rule is to try and maintain a sense of community an not let head-Fi become the next flea bay.

Agreed. I see nothing wrong with selling something for a profit, but there are much more appropriate places to do that, like ebay. Head-Fi is about community, not selling things.

Dec 2, 2014 at 2:24 PM Post #9,902 of 35,319
Am I missing something here? Being the capitalist that I am, If someone got the 598s (I didn't because I have them and reselling is a hassle) and wanted to make a few bucks on them, what is the problem? If the potential buyer was going to save real money against the lowest price they could find them for after the sale then everyone wins. I WOULD have a problem if someone bought them for $100 and sold them for $220 to someone who didn't know you can get them just about everywhere for $180-$200. To my way of thinking that would be an attempted ripoff. Is it against the Head Fi rules to flip any product. How would you even be able to really prove it?

Flipping for profit is against forum rules and counter to the spirit of head-fi. if u want to sell for profit, please go elsewhere. there are many other sites where you can sell for as much profit as you want.

Dec 2, 2014 at 2:33 PM Post #9,904 of 35,319
I found two bundle deals that looked pretty good...

AT ATH-M50X headphones + NVX EX10S earbuds = $149.00

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_90991_Audio-Technica-ATH-M50X-NVX-EX10S.html?utm_source=dealnews&utm_medium=web&utm_campaign=dealnews

AT ATH-M50x headphones + Limitless Creations LBTS2W blueteeth speaker + FiiO E6 amp = $170.00

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_92346_Audio-Technica-ATH-M50x-Limitless-Creations-LBTS2W-FiiO-E6.html?utm_source=dealnews&utm_medium=web&utm_campaign=dealnews

Dec 2, 2014 at 2:37 PM Post #9,905 of 35,319
Rules are rules, fine, but when I see flipping in the classifieds I'm inclined to ignore it because I think it's actually good, not bad, for the community. Flippers are essentially providing liquidity. It's true, if you buy a pair of headphones in a sale for $100 and then sell them for $150, you might've prevented someone else from getting in at the sale price. On the other hand, the person who paid you $150 for them has demonstrated that he/she probably values them more than the person who would've paid the sale price.

There's a role in financial markets called market maker. A market maker quotes both a buy and a sell price on a financial instrument, and at any moment is buying from some people and selling to others. The sell price is slightly higher than the buy price, so the market maker makes money from the spread. Naively, a cynic might think that this person is skimming from the markets and not contributing anything. You could apply the same argument to financial instruments that Stillhart did to headphones to say that market making should be prohibited, and we should just hope that the buyer and seller eventually find each other so the buyer gets a better price.

In reality, though, the presence of market makers keeps prices uniform across the market, it reduces the cost of each transaction, and it ensures that anyone who wants to can buy or sell an instrument whenever they please. Before the presence of widespread electronic market making, transaction costs were a lot higher and markets were less efficient.

In head-fi terms, if you flip a pair of headphones, you've (1) provided someone looking to sell with a buyer at his asking price, (2) provided a buyer with a pair of headphones at a price that's agreeable to him, and (3) made sure those headphones ended up in the hands of someone who values them at what they're worth. In summation, you've provided a service to all parties involved and received a small compensation for it.

Head-fi likes to think of itself as a tight knit community, and turning a profit within it might seem unsavory. I think this is a misguided reaction, though. As a general rule of thumb, if you're buying from willing sellers and selling to willing buyers, and making money at it, you're doing something of value. Sometimes this principle is too broad, but the basic tenet of capitalism is that this holds most of the time, and in this case I think it applies.

If you are going to prohibit a type of transaction on the classifieds, it ought to be because the type of transaction is either bad for someone in the community (buyers, sellers, or maybe vendors), or belong somewhere else (for instance, vendors shouldn't be using the classifieds for free advertising). As I said above, I don't think the former is the case. As for the latter, flipping is not a viable business model, so there's no chance of the classifieds section becoming overly cluttered by people trying to make money. And so what if it did? Even if flipping became very prevalent at head-fi, the classifieds would remain a place where you go to buy or sell used headphones. It would just be easier and quicker to find a buyer or a seller.

So, yes, it's against the rules. But I wish it weren't.

Dec 2, 2014 at 3:05 PM Post #9,909 of 35,319
Good god! Very sorry I mentioned people selling the NIB HD598 on the classifieds guys...:deadhorse:

Dec 2, 2014 at 3:24 PM Post #9,912 of 35,319
can someone please recommend me a good pair of headphones for traveling?

I'm looking for a good set of closed headphones for traveling (long international flights) and occasionally while working at home.
The criteria are:
1) be somewhat neutral headphones without too much artificial coloring
2) comfortable to wear for a long time
3) well constructed, does not feel or look cheap
4) detachable headphones
5) be under $400-$500 new (realistic retail price in US, such as Amazon) 
6) provides good isolation
7) closed headphones 

The kind of stuff I listen to:
1) electronic dance music
2) classical
3) audiobook
4) trendy pop music (hiphop, whatever)

The source most likely to be used:
1) iphone
2) Cowon player... maybe a DAC down the road.

In the past, I have tried:
1) ATH-M50x
2) premium IEMs (one dual driver UE, some single driver shures, etc)

So far I've done some reading and research and came to conclusion that I really like the K550's looks and what people say about its sound quality, but I don't like that it doesn't have detachable headphones.
K551 also fails in this regard and I hear K545 is a downgrade for the sound quality.
I like how the Grados look but they seem to be mostly open.

Dec 2, 2014 at 3:30 PM Post #9,913 of 35,319

I'm looking for a good set of closed headphones for traveling (long international flights) and occasionally while working at home.
The criteria are:
4) detachable headphones
7) closed headphones 

2) classical
3) audiobook

1) iphone

1) ATH-M50x

So far I've done some reading and research and came to conclusion that I really like the K550's looks and what people say about its sound quality, but I don't like that it doesn't have detachable headphones.
K551 also fails in this regard and I hear K545 is a downgrade for the sound quality.

It's probably better to start or find a thread about this, rather than have this discussion in the deals section.  Once you have a list of candidates, then you can look here for deals on them.

Dec 2, 2014 at 3:35 PM Post #9,914 of 35,319
Dec 2, 2014 at 3:37 PM Post #9,915 of 35,319

The criteria are:
4) detachable headphones
7) closed headphones 

2) classical
3) audiobook

1) iphone

1) ATH-M50x

SoundMAGIC HP100/HP150.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back