The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!)
Apr 19, 2014 at 11:13 PM Post #4,321 of 35,332
Bass quantity is all relative. For people who prefer a neutral signature the HP50 has plenty of bass. You might want to try it first because I found it uncomfortable. I don't know what they were smoking when they designed that headband.

For reference I use a Q701 with the bass mod and think it's just right.  More bass isn't bad, but I don't want my bass walking over the mids or losing detail.  I prefer less bass that's better than more that's bad.

HD25 ALU, VK-1, Q40, even the HD650 but it's not a relevant comparison. I felt that it had similar bass quantity to the K550 and that's known for having little bass.

K545 is one of the ones on my list too, which is supposed to have more bass than the 550.  You're saying the HP50 has less bass than that?  That's not what I read in the K545 thread...

Apr 19, 2014 at 11:43 PM Post #4,322 of 35,332
K545 is one of the ones on my list too, which is supposed to have more bass than the 550.  You're saying the HP50 has less bass than that?  That's not what I read in the K545 thread...

Never listened to the K545 so I don't have an opinion on that comparision. However, I did find the HP50 to be pretty bass-light matching the K550 and that along with the severe comfort issues was why I sold it off.

Apr 20, 2014 at 12:25 AM Post #4,323 of 35,332

For reference I use a Q701 with the bass mod and think it's just right.  More bass isn't bad, but I don't want my bass walking over the mids or losing detail.  I prefer less bass that's better than more that's bad.

I remember the bass on the HP50 to be a bit more than the modded Q701, at least in subbass.

Apr 20, 2014 at 12:58 AM Post #4,325 of 35,332
$225 + free shipping HE-400 (demo)

http://www.ttvjaudio.com/HiFiMan_HE_400_headphone_used_p/use0000145.htm

This is a fantastic price for an HE400. If you've ever wondered what an open-back orthomagnetic sounds like, I don't see a better price of getting you in the game. At this price you can A) buy a velour pad and DIY a Jergpad B) buy a Jergpad for $60 for Modulor C)Wait out the HE560 pads and snag those at the HF announced "affordable" price. The Jergpad has been graphed to relieve the heavy dip on the upper mids and tame some peaks in the treble.

Apr 20, 2014 at 3:33 PM Post #4,328 of 35,332
The second you upgrade your source and amp, both HD6xx pull away from the X1 quite a bit. It's ridiculous but I actually swap the HD650 in on my EC2A3 MKIV on occasion. I'd prefer the HD600, but both are technically superior to the X1. On a modest setup, the X1 sounds good but it's resolution capped far earlier than the HD6xx cans.

I highly disagree. IMO the HD600 and HD650 do scale, but not a ton. No arguing when it comes to them scaling more, but not as much and many say. The X1 is not superior in terms of technical abilities, but it sounds a ton more refined than either headphone. It what the HD650 should have been.

Now remember, I greatly dislike the HD650 for it's mushy tone. In fact I hate it's tone. But the X1 is just right. More detail, control, bigger soundstage. It's the better headphone to me.

Apr 20, 2014 at 3:45 PM Post #4,329 of 35,332
Momentum On-ear in White are $149 on Amazon right now (brand new, sold through Amazon).

http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-Momentum-On-Ear-Headphone/dp/B00D77UA44/

I just grabbed one for the wife!

Apr 20, 2014 at 4:15 PM Post #4,330 of 35,332
Probably not worth lingering over too long, but based on my recent experience with my new Geek Out 1000, and listening to the Senn 650 through it, I'd have to say it really scales up a ton. I was shocked how much better it sounded than I had been accostomed to.

Apr 20, 2014 at 7:29 PM Post #4,331 of 35,332
  Momentum On-ear in White are $149 on Amazon right now (brand new, sold through Amazon).

http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-Momentum-On-Ear-Headphone/dp/B00D77UA44/

I just grabbed one for the wife!

Im seeing the momentums more and more being bought. How is the sound quality with these compared to other portable headphones like the v moda m80 or m100 or even AT M50? are they worth the 150 dollars for what it offers?

I see they even have a mic which is cool because im always riding the bus and i hate having to hold my phone when talking and wearing my IEM, which dont have a mic but want that complete isolation.

wow im everywhere with this lol

Apr 21, 2014 at 2:43 AM Post #4,333 of 35,332
  Im seeing the momentums more and more being bought. How is the sound quality with these compared to other portable headphones like the v moda m80 or m100 or even AT M50? are they worth the 150 dollars for what it offers?

I see they even have a mic which is cool because im always riding the bus and i hate having to hold my phone when talking and wearing my IEM, which dont have a mic but want that complete isolation.

wow im everywhere with this lol

They have mixed reviews, some people like them but some people don't. The main complaints are too much bass and not enough mids. Because of the mixed reviews I went with Amperior instead which seemed to be more universally praised. I like the Amperior but I don't know if they're still readily available (they're out of production). I got mine from sonicelectronix.com.

Also, in response to the person who was asking about the AKG K550/K545, I have the K550 and it doesn't have much midbass but it has a very generous amount of subbass. I think when people say that the K550 "lacks bass", they are referring to midbass. I agree with that, I think it's midbass is neutral, but the subbass more than makes up for it, especially since I listen to electronic music often.

EDIT: Also, since I feel bad about posting on this thread without including any deals,

Amazon Warehouse:
Westone W4: $245 
Westone ADV Alpha: $74
Beyer Custom One Pro (white): $109

Apr 21, 2014 at 3:02 AM Post #4,334 of 35,332
I like the Amperior but I don't know if they're still readily available (they're out of production). I got mine from sonicelectronix.com.

FYI: Amperior can be found at vminnovations for $158.63 (silver) or $160.54 (blue) using coupon code WEVALUEYOU
Silver http://www.vminnovations.com/Product_49391/Sennheiser-Amperior-DJ-Pro-Monitoring-Headphones-Silver-.html
Blue http://www.vminnovations.com/Product_49051/Sennheiser-HD-25-Amperior-DJ-Pro-Monitoring-Headphones-Blue-.html

I would also go for these instead of the momentums. AT M50 are inferior.

Apr 21, 2014 at 10:14 AM Post #4,335 of 35,332

EDIT: Also, since I feel bad about posting on this thread without including any deals,

Amazon Warehouse:

Beyer Custom One Pro (white): $109

WOW.
I've had these in my wishlist for ages and that is a new low (I think). Even though it is only designated as Used "Good", with AWD it seems that only ever refers to the state of the packaging (from what most people report anyway). And for less than $4 you can step up to "Very Good".

Finally went for the Q40 or I think I would've jumped on this (krautdog is too poor right now for multiple purchases)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back