The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!)
Mar 27, 2015 at 4:20 PM Post #13,576 of 35,348
It's cloth covered. Pretty sturdy, the Adv series are supposed to be fitness headphones. Strain reliefs seem durable
However, Westone puts rubber closer to the connector than other manufacturers do. So I wouldn't recommend buying it as a replacement cable for an IEM from a brand other than westone. It may not fit, I couldn't connect my westone cable to my Shure SE315 or Ultimate Ears UE900 because the rubber got in the way.

Thanks for the advice, almost pulled the trigger!

Mar 27, 2015 at 7:57 PM Post #13,577 of 35,348
From RazorDog's Site:

At RazorDog! Audio our goal is to give you the lowest prices. So there’s no catch, other than Audeze, HiFiMAN, and B stock (or refurbished) products are not eligible.  Please contact us if you have questions about your order. NOTE: The instant rebate ONLY applies to orders placed on razordogaudio.com. eBay orders are not eligible. Cannot be combined with any other discount code or promo.

Mar 27, 2015 at 9:44 PM Post #13,579 of 35,348
I'm Trying to resist the Massdrop on the Chane center speaker to complete my 5.1 setup... This is not the right place to get talked out of that kind of stuff! Maybe I subconsciously don't want to be talked down?

Dang, nice price. That is $12 less (shipped) than I paid buying the A5 towers pre-order deal. The preorder deal allowed the purchase of a center with a $34 discount, but with shipping the center was $220.

At any rate, I like the center just a bit better than my DefTech CLR2002. The A5 towers will replace some DefTech BP8Bs. Unless you have pretty good ears and are really sensitive to tone, I would not worry too much about matching centers and fronts. Most people will tell it's beter to match them so that when aloud sound is played on all the speakers it doesn't sound different in one part of the room, but if you primarily use HT for talking type TV, the Chane is pretty clear. If you watch a lot of action movies or TV, or listen to 5.1 SACDs, you should probably have matched equipment.  

Mar 28, 2015 at 2:39 AM Post #13,582 of 35,348
I don't care what anybody says. With all these recent deals there's something going on with Sennheiser. Its almost as if they're clearing stock out.

Mar 28, 2015 at 2:53 AM Post #13,584 of 35,348
  I don't care what anybody says. With all these recent deals there's something going on with Sennheiser. Its almost as if they're clearing stock out.

I couldn't agree more. Even though the HD800 has sold over 10,000 units, I think Sennheiser is starting to see slowing sales from the growing competition of HiFiMAN (HE-560, HE-1000) and Audeze (EL-8, LCD-3) in the Hi-Fi and Summit-Fi price sectors and Beyerdynamic (Custom One Pro) and AKG (Q 701) in the Mid-Fi sectors. And I think that is a good thing. The HD 800 technology has been milked for what is worth long enough. It's high time we see that sort of technology in some sanely priced headphones. About a decade ago, top-tier headphones cost around $500, not this insane $1000 to $2000 business.

Mar 28, 2015 at 2:57 AM Post #13,586 of 35,348
I couldn't agree more. Even though the HD800 has sold over 10,000 units...

HD800 has sold well over 36,000 unique units. They are all individually serialized.

All the other top of the line flagship headphones combined probably haven't sold as much as HD800 in the last 6 years.

Chances are there will be slowing of sales later this year, but as of now, only Audeze LCD-3 is in the same league as the HD800 under $2000, and even then, it's a complimentary pair to HD800, rather than a replacement.

Mar 28, 2015 at 3:01 AM Post #13,588 of 35,348
HD800 has sold well over 36,000 unique units. They are all individually serialized.

All the other top of the line flagship headphones combined probably haven't sold as much as HD800 in the last 6 years lol

That's the current serial, then? I don't follow the HD800 thread too much and I was making a shot in the dark based on a distant memory. Still, it is way overpriced for a product that old. If it is still expensive for them to make, they need their engineering team to seriously rethink the fundamentals.

Mar 28, 2015 at 3:04 AM Post #13,589 of 35,348
  That's the current serial, then? I don't follow the HD800 thread too much and I was making a shot in the dark based on a distant memory. Still, it is way overpriced for a product that old. If it is still expensive for them to make, they need their engineering team to seriously rethink the fundamentals.

What does its age have anything to do with its price? Performance does, and the HD800 is still one of the best headphones in the world. I would even go so far as to say its a bargain compared to the rest of the 1500+ dollar headphones out there. nothing pulls detail out like it does

Mar 28, 2015 at 3:14 AM Post #13,590 of 35,348

Out of sheer curiosity, what other headphones are a bargain today for the performance they offer? Every other $1000+ headphones has many more faults than the HD 800. And all of them are produced like boutique products, much the same way HD 800 is produced. It isn't an automated process that can be reduced in cost with a little engineering and large scale production.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back