The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!)
Mar 5, 2015 at 8:16 PM Post #13,141 of 35,373
What's your amp? And what type of music do you listen to?

I used them with NAD 7020 receiver. I A/B-ed them with Polk Monitor 30's and DeTech SM350s MartinLogan LS16's (ok, not fair to compare them to the MartinLogans and DefTechs). Music was rock, pop, classical, and Jazz.

These were the first rev from famed designer Andrew Jones (of TAD). I haven't heard the new versions, the SP-BS22-LR, but the reviews of the BS22s are pretty good.

IMHO these are $69 speakers. You get what you pay for. Everyone in my family preferred the Polks (including 23 year old son, who listen to wide range of music and is way mroe of an audiophile than I am (LCD-3's, RE-600s, Tubmagic D1).

If you are in the market for low end speakers, take a listen to the Infinity Primus like or the Polk line (for <$100 pair on sale). Once you go to $300/pr, you can look at DefTechs on sale, or Chane Music A1rx-c's.

Mar 5, 2015 at 8:46 PM Post #13,142 of 35,373
Here's a good deal: Want a free printed measurement of your headphones and want to help Innerfidelity get vintage, unobtainium and underrated headphones measured for the masses? Package and have them shipped for free both ways to Tyll! Details at the link below: http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/new-push-headphone-measurements

I already emailed and my K612 are boxed up for shipping, I wonder if they're at all close to the K601's pretty interesting neutral response... I suspect a little more bass.

These were the first rev from famed designer Andrew Jones (of TAD). I haven't heard the new versions, the SP-BS22-LR, but the reviews of the BS22s are pretty good.

If you are in the market for low end speakers, take a listen to the Infinity Primus like or the Polk line (for <$100 pair on sale). Once you go to $300/pr, you can look at DefTechs on sale, or Chane Music A1rx-c's.

Yeah, some people preferred the 21's over the 41's, but opinions are divided and some people go the other way. Stereophile had multiple reviews of the BS21-R and were very value-impressed, the 41s shouldn't be far off.

I got the Polk M40 a few years back on sale for $100, was very impressed. I still like them! I'm Still getting used to the Chanes, can't review them yet but those are impressive too.

Mar 5, 2015 at 9:27 PM Post #13,144 of 35,373
Huh, weird. I really like the sb21 through SmSL SA98 but music I listen too isn't to needy of a low end. So the sb41 isn't an upgrade to the sb22 but the other way around.

correct. 

Mar 5, 2015 at 9:31 PM Post #13,145 of 35,373
What's your amp? And what type of music do you listen to?

I used them with NAD 7020 receiver. I A/B-ed them with Polk Monitor 30's and DeTech SM350s MartinLogan LS16's (ok, not fair to compare them to the MartinLogans and DefTechs). Music was rock, pop, classical, and Jazz.

IMHO these are $69 speakers. You get what you pay for. Everyone in my family preferred the Polks (including 23 year old son, who listen to wide range of music and is way mroe of an audiophile than I am (LCD-3's, RE-600s, Tubmagic D1).

I own the BS22s, and they're really nice. They were actually a finalist for Stereophile product of the year. Obviously they don't go head-to-head SQ-wise with $30k speakers, but they're pretty stunning for $125 a pair.

What really impressed me from the Andrew Jones line was the SP-FS52 floorstanding speakers. They're astoundingly clear and neutral at $250 a pair.

The subwoofer is incredibly good too. The first time I heard it fire watching Guardians of the Galaxy, I almost lost my mind... I was like being in the theater.

Mar 5, 2015 at 10:33 PM Post #13,147 of 35,373
I heard the subs in that set was the weakest point so if you found them good then i presume the rest of the kit must be amazing for the price!!

What's a good receiver for the money with 5.1? $300-$500ish?

I have the Onkyo TX-NR626 7.2 Channel receiver with the system, and I love it. It normally goes for $499.99, but happy coincidence, it just dropped to its lowest price EVER on Amazon today - $269.99! That's a heck of a deal!

Also, they swapped out the sub in the Andrew Jones series this past fall. The Mk1 sub I demoed in the store wasn't so great. The Mk2 (which I own) is a notable improvement.

Mar 5, 2015 at 10:42 PM Post #13,148 of 35,373
I have the Onkyo TX-NR626 7.2 Channel receiver with the system, and I love it. It normally goes for $499.99, but happy coincidence, it just dropped to its lowest price EVER on Amazon today - $269.99! That's a heck of a deal!

Also, they swapped out the sub in the Andrew Jones series this past fall. The Mk1 sub I demoed in the store wasn't so great. The Mk2 (which I own) is a notable improvement.

Thanks for that recommends. God I spent so much on gear lately I don't think I can swing it morally even if there's a sale currently. My surrounds are already decent..but I'd love to have towers on the home stereo. That'll be next I suppose as I already have SB21s sitting waiting to be used for something (it'll be my surround speakers when time comes).

On other news, I'm really enjoying my HD650. They're like not as kicked back as people made them to be... they don't have flabby bass like some say either. Maybe mine needs to break-in? I'm using my NFB-11 atm which only puts 300mW to 300ohms. Is that even enough juice?

Mar 5, 2015 at 11:07 PM Post #13,149 of 35,373
On other news, I'm really enjoying my HD650. They're like not as kicked back as people made them to be... they don't have flabby bass like some say either. Maybe mine needs to break-in? I'm using my NFB-11 atm which only puts 300mW to 300ohms. Is that even enough juice?

If you're really enjoying them, then they're probably getting enough juice. :)

Mar 5, 2015 at 11:22 PM Post #13,150 of 35,373
In all seriousness though, the HD650 is more "finickey" than it is "power hungry". It sounds veiled and flabby on some setups and lush and musical on others.

Mar 5, 2015 at 11:31 PM Post #13,151 of 35,373
In all seriousness though, the HD650 is more "finickey" than it is "power hungry". It sounds veiled and flabby on some setups and lush and musical on others.

Yes, I think it's just picky.  It didn't like my NFB-15 much, but NFB-15+Ember made it sing.  NFB-28 (same DAC chip as your NFB-11) is better than NFB-15 but not as nice as Ember.  You're probably sitting in that middle spot of "not bad!".  Wait till you hear it on a complementary system!  :-D

Mar 5, 2015 at 11:36 PM Post #13,152 of 35,373

Yes, I think it's just picky.  It didn't like my NFB-15 much, but NFB-15+Ember made it sing.  NFB-28 (same DAC chip as your NFB-11) is better than NFB-15 but not as nice as Ember.  You're probably sitting in that middle spot of "not bad!".  Wait till you hear it on a complementary system!  :-D

Beresford.... that's the best I've heard it.  Curious about their new amp though.

Mar 5, 2015 at 11:46 PM Post #13,153 of 35,373
  Beresford.... that's the best I've heard it.  Curious about their new amp though.

That Beresford is being passed around like a dirty..... I think in the last 3 months it's had 4 owners lol. I'm thinking about buying it back but nah. Maybe?

Mar 6, 2015 at 1:46 AM Post #13,154 of 35,373
From what they were advertising the he400i was suppose to be voiced after the he500. The he500 didn't have the he400's bass either. I'm almost certain the he400i has better mids and calmer highs than the original he400. Half the weight of the 500 with better ergos, it should definitely be in people's radar.

I don't experience any scratchyness on the new pads. (?)

They dont make your eara itch? I like velour, but those pads were itchy!

I kinda want to try out the he400i, but i told myself i wouldnt go back to hifiman unless it were for a cheap he500 with some j$ pads or something

Mar 6, 2015 at 5:15 AM Post #13,155 of 35,373

How do you think it sounds on the Modi/Modi combo or the O2/ODAC combo?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back