The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!)
Mar 6, 2015 at 7:36 AM Post #13,156 of 35,373
I have the Hifiman 560, which I like but is also finicky about amping and sources. A friend has 400i, which he likes better, more forgiving according to him, but still scales up with a good tube amp.
Never found the Senn 650 uncomfortable, and I find MOST headphones uncomfortable...

Mar 6, 2015 at 9:17 AM Post #13,157 of 35,373
In all seriousness though, the HD650 is more "finickey" than it is "power hungry". It sounds veiled and flabby on some setups and lush and musical on others.

How do you think it sounds on the Modi/Modi combo or the O2/ODAC combo?

While I like those things (a lot, actually), I don't think either amp gets much out of the HD650. I think either DAC is fine with the right amp. Don't get me wrong, many people may enjoy these amps with the HD650... But folks who have really experimented with this headphone know it has more to give.

If I was building a budget end-game setup around the HD650, I'd probably DIY build a Bottlhead Crack and get a Modi 2 Uber or an ODAC. That would be a $430 setup in total that would stand toe-to-toe with $2k setups.

When you think about it, an extra $150 and some soldering time isn't much more to pay for an extra $1,700 worth of performance.

Mar 6, 2015 at 11:46 AM Post #13,159 of 35,373
How do you think it sounds on the Modi/Magni combo or the O2/ODAC combo?

The specific "thing" about the amps you mentioned is that they are lean and tend towards the dry and analytical side... That's not a bad thing to compliment many headphones, it's just that people tend to prefer a more fluid amp which is more emotional than analytical to experience.

Monoprice.com is having a Site Wide Sale of 15% Off.  Promo Code: MARCH15 

Oh damn, just when I was noticing a record credit card balance (over half my credit limit) and awaiting my tax return! I need some banana plugs, an HDMI cable, and an adjustable monitor mount...

Mar 6, 2015 at 11:52 AM Post #13,160 of 35,373
I have an O2, hp p1 and a c5 and when I use my hd600's I find myself using my old onkyo stereo amp and turning off the speakers. There is definitely a noticeable next level. I also noticed this when I had hd650's.

Mar 6, 2015 at 12:53 PM Post #13,163 of 35,373
Not sure if I'm two thousand and late, but ebay/buydig(??) has ak120 Titan with 2x 64gb micro as cards for $829 shipped CONUS

BuyDig.com and their Ebay store are running this deal again. 

I picked one up and will put 2 128GB MicroSDXC cards in it for 384GB total, just like an AK240 with one 128GB card. Anybody need a bunch of 64GB cards?

Mar 6, 2015 at 3:11 PM Post #13,164 of 35,373
Newegg has the Sennheiser HD 518 Around-The-Ear Audiophile Headphones for a low $64.95 Free Shipping after Coupon Code: "EMCAPAT79" (Exp 3/8). Tax in CA, IN, NJ, TN. This is $14 less than elsewhere.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826106514

Mar 6, 2015 at 3:18 PM Post #13,165 of 35,373
I have the Hifiman 560, which I like but is also finicky about amping and sources. A friend has 400i, which he likes better, more forgiving according to him, but still scales up with a good tube amp.
Never found the Senn 650 uncomfortable, and I find MOST headphones uncomfortable...

My 650s love the David Berning tube MicroZotl amp, and a NOS dac from Mojo Audio to feed them!
they have a fluid sound which has great bass and mids to die for.  Note thet this headphone amp
is out of production, but due to requests, Berning is reissuing it at the end of March with a separate
power supply and upgraded Russian tubes.  Myself, doctorjazz and K.T. are getting evaluation units
for feedack purposes and eventually can share our impressions of the newer version with the 650s,
and HiFIMan electromagnetic phones.  

Mar 6, 2015 at 3:52 PM Post #13,166 of 35,373
The subwoofer is incredibly good too. The first time I heard it fire watching Guardians of the Galaxy, I almost lost my mind... I was like being in the theater.

Here is my experience with the Pioneer SW-8MK2 subwoofer, designed by Andrew Jones.  My main speaker-based listening setup is composed of a NAD 3130 amplifier (bought new in England in1997; powered through a transformer; refurbished about 10 years ago), a Pioneer DV 563A CD/SACD/DVD-Audio player, and Magneplanar MMG speakers (bought new in 1993).  For years, I have been looking on and off for a subwoofer that would integrate well with the MMGs. About 14 months, ago, I tried the SW-8MK2, and my search was over.  The other subwoofers I tried would make themselves heard in an obvious and unpleasant way.  The Pioneer subwoofer extends the response of the speakers in-room from 50Hz down to 32.5Hz, when tested with the Stereophile Editor's Choice test CD tones.  (There is still nothing usable at 25Hz and 20Hz.)  Most importantly, I cannot tell the subwoofer is there unless I test for it: the setup sounds just like MMGs with 15-20Hz of extended bass.  This means15-20 quality Hz for about $100---the subwoofer was on sale for that much when I bought it.

Mar 6, 2015 at 7:41 PM Post #13,167 of 35,373
I have the Pioneer 8" subwoofer when newegg had them for sale 2 years ago ($70-80). They are paired with the Energy Take Classic 5.0 that went on sale on woot. The speakers are connected to a Marantz NR1402 slim AV Receiver I got refurbished from Audio Advisor through Amazon. The slim AVR was necessary to fit in the shelf under the TV stand and the newer line was too expensive at the time. The subwoofer compliments my setup perfectly. Very nice rumble and the whole system works together well. Very happy with the set for the price I paid.

Mar 6, 2015 at 7:58 PM Post #13,168 of 35,373
  My 650s love the David Berning tube MicroZotl amp, and a NOS dac from Mojo Audio to feed them!
they have a fluid sound which has great bass and mids to die for.  Note thet this headphone amp
is out of production, but due to requests, Berning is reissuing it at the end of March with a separate
power supply and upgraded Russian tubes.  Myself, doctorjazz and K.T. are getting evaluation units
for feedack purposes and eventually can share our impressions of the newer version with the 650s,
and HiFIMan electromagnetic phones.  

Yes, the MicroZOTL is quite a unique amp. There was quite a lot of discussion about it on the board here thirteen/fourteen years ago when it was first released.

I ended up modding my original MicroZOTL with boutique parts some years ago, so no longer have the original sound. I look forward to auditioning the new version very much.

In the mean time, I'm enjoying my HD600s and HD650s with the Schiit Asgard 2, which I find quite a nice match.

I've also heard the Bottlehead Crack and Project Ember are good matches with the Sennheisers.

I have both of these kits but, alas, no time to build them!

Mar 6, 2015 at 9:28 PM Post #13,169 of 35,373
650 does sound really nice with my Ray Samuels HR-2; RS gear is supposed to have a house sound, so I'd guess other RS Amos work well too.

Mar 6, 2015 at 11:13 PM Post #13,170 of 35,373
Future Shop has the Denon AHD600 on sale for $219! If someone is unable to order from Future Shop I am willing to grab one from a local store and ship for cost plus shipping, so long as your OK with me Having a quick listen before I ship :)

http://m.futureshop.ca/?lang=en#/catalog/productdetails.aspx?ajax=true&sku=10221227&lang=en-CA

Users who are viewing this thread

Back