The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!)
Feb 4, 2015 at 11:40 AM Post #12,211 of 35,378
Yeah but the X2 is $300-400.  Is it really worth the price difference?

$300 when sold by proper third party. And yes, yes it is. The improvements are enough to justify holding out for the X2 even when the X1 is this low, unless you really just prefer the warmer, bassier sound. The looseness in the bass was a bit of a glaring shortcoming for the X1. The only major one, really. the X2 gets rid of almost all that looseness, and what looseness is left is what I call euphonic, and beneficial for that bass immersion.

Feb 4, 2015 at 11:42 AM Post #12,212 of 35,378
 Harman/Kardon CL-Recertified Black / Silver     $49.00   was  $199.00 http://www.harmanaudio.com/harman-kardon/HARKAR-CL-REFURB.html?CJPID=CJ

JBL Tim McGraw On Ear Headphones White     $13.99   was  $79.95 http://www.harmanaudio.com/jbl/TMG81W.html?CJPID=CJ

Sennheiser - Audiophile Over-the-Ear Headphones - Titan Model: HD558 $89.98 On Sale Save $90 (Reg. $179.98)
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/sennheiser-audiophile-over-the-ear-headphones-titan/1700513.p?id=1218285361000&skuId=1700513&cmp=RMX&ref=25&loc=SHP&srccode=cii_45538312&cpncode=43-29170116-2

The HK, is this the regular version or the Bluetooth? All the marketing mumbo jumbo is throwing me off a bit

Feb 4, 2015 at 11:47 AM Post #12,213 of 35,378
$300 when sold by proper third party. And yes, yes it is. The improvements are enough to justify holding out for the X2 even when the X1 is this low, unless you really just prefer the warmer, bassier sound. The looseness in the bass was a bit of a glaring shortcoming for the X1. The only major one, really. the X2 gets rid of almost all that looseness, and what looseness is left is what I call euphonic, and beneficial for that bass immersion.

Got the wait list notification and pulled the trigger along w/ the boompro. Since these are mainly gonna be used for gaming I'm ok with the differences. They'll still be an upgrade from my hd598s

Feb 4, 2015 at 11:51 AM Post #12,214 of 35,378

Yeah, I agree that the bass looseness/boominess is really the main reason I got rid of them and kept the Q701's way back when.  Everything I've read about the X2 makes me really eager to hear one at some point.  Maybe at Canjam.

Feb 4, 2015 at 12:08 PM Post #12,215 of 35,378

Tyll's InnerFidelity measurements shows the X1 has more distortion than the X2 as well.

Edit:
X1 link: http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/PhilipsFidelioX1.pdf
X2 link: http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/PhilipsFidelioX2.pdf

Not sure how audible the difference is in distortion, though.

Feb 4, 2015 at 12:08 PM Post #12,216 of 35,378

100% sold.

Daaaamn. I'd be all over this... if the X2 wasn't around.

I had the X1 purchased from Amazon in the previous lightning deal, and returned them. AKG K7XX is definitely a much better headphone that does everything better. It is only $40 more, and no tax as well, so actually about $25 more. X1 was a bit disappointing to say the least, especially after all the amazing reviews I read here. 

Feb 4, 2015 at 12:25 PM Post #12,217 of 35,378
  I had the X1 purchased from Amazon in the previous lightning deal, and returned them. AKG K7XX is definitely a much better headphone that does everything better. It is only $40 more, and no tax as well, so actually about $25 more. X1 was a bit disappointing to say the least, especially after all the amazing reviews I read here. 

For basshead who want an open headphone with a decent amount of bass the X1 is probably the best option at this price range, the only other option is the HE400 @ $299.
The AKG sounded like a pair of tweeters to me, but that's probably because I like bass.
I'm not saying the AKG are bad headphones, I'm just saying it's not for everyone, like the X1.

Feb 4, 2015 at 1:11 PM Post #12,218 of 35,378

Tyll's InnerFidelity measurements shows the X1 has more distortion than the X2 as well.

Edit:
X1 link: http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/PhilipsFidelioX1.pdf
X2 link: http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/PhilipsFidelioX2.pdf

Not sure how audible the difference is in distortion, though.

For basshead who want an open headphone with a decent amount of bass the X1 is probably the best option at this price range, the only other option is the HE400 @ $299.
The AKG sounded like a pair of tweeters to me, but that's probably because I like bass.
I'm not saying the AKG are bad headphones, I'm just saying it's not for everyone, like the X1.

Just purchased the X1 with the lightning deal, as I listen to a lot of hip hop and EDM I feel like the x1 was better for me. I will be using them with an Sound Blaster X7 and a Boom Mic Pro for gaming on my PC. I will then take my current Headphones and use them with my Xbox One and PS4. I couldn't see spending nearly double the price for the X2's, there is no way they can be double as good (maybe I'm wrong, at least I hope not LOL).

Feb 4, 2015 at 1:18 PM Post #12,219 of 35,378

I have heard the X1 and own the K7xx... I do not agree.  If you're looking for a mid-focused smooth HD650-like sound, the K7xx delivers.  I did not think the K7xx scaled well with my gear, while the X1 sounded great with pretty much everything.  The mid-bass was a bit warm and slightly bloomy for my tastes, but the sound was exceptional for anyone who purchased it at the killer price of $150.  

I feel there's enough different about both cans that they cannot easily called "this one is better".  I'd like to own both, but I'd rather wait for a deal on the X2 and skip the X1 all together.  If anyone hasn't already bought a HD650 or moved up the ladder even further.  The X1 is probably the best value on the market now, IMHO, for those looking to get into our hobby without killing the wallet.  The K7xx is a taste of what you can get, but certainly not a end-all can.  I do think the HD580/600/650 offer more versatility and value over the K7xx.  The K7xx only gets more congested as I connect it to better sources.  But sound better than anything else I own paired with my iPad4.

For what it's worth, I think the K7xx is a good headphone, but certainly over-hyped and possibly just FOTM

Feb 4, 2015 at 1:57 PM Post #12,220 of 35,378
I think FOTM is rampant in these here parts, and this is a good example. The X1, for a while, was the best thing since Mother's Milk, and there are still some (look at the Discovery Thread) that swear by them. Now, from the descriptions, they are just "OK". I have the Q701 and the X1 (or I did, until my 16 year old daughter "liberated" the X1...), they are apples and oranges in sound. Q701 is lean/mean, some feel the bass is deficient (I find it OK). The K7xx, from what I understand (reading Head Fi), is either no upgrade from the 701,,or a relatively small one. The X1's are very comfortable (701 isn't bad). I believe there was some improvement that went into the X2-I suspect it is not day and night over the X1, but I haven't heard it, I could certainly be wrong here. It does sometimes help to give it some time to see how the dust settles; the "latest and greatest" new or upgraded model tends to get gushed over initially, then becomes old news, who could possibly want it now when "ABC" has just come out. Me, I'm the Audiophile Cheapskate-I'm happy when a new model comes out that is 5% better and costs 50% more, since it means I likely can get the now "lesser" old model at 50% or more OFF!
Just sayin'

Feb 4, 2015 at 2:28 PM Post #12,221 of 35,378
I bought a pair of X1 more than a year ago. I do like their warm and a little heavier bottom sound. I have never considered X1s are basshead headphones. I don't think there is anything wrong with their sound.

However, there are two main issues with the X1 that make me seriously consider going to the X2. The first and foremost was the headband size. I have a larger head and X1 doesn't fit me all that well. The second problem is the non-replaceable ear cushions. (These issues were discussed in Tyll's X2 review video.) But I can't justify the $300 price tag for now so I am going to wait out till the price drops to a more affordable level.

Feb 4, 2015 at 2:31 PM Post #12,222 of 35,378
  I have heard the X1 and own the K7xx... I do not agree.  If you're looking for a mid-focused smooth HD650-like sound, the K7xx delivers.  I did not think the K7xx scaled well with my gear, while the X1 sounded great with pretty much everything.  The mid-bass was a bit warm and slightly bloomy for my tastes, but the sound was exceptional for anyone who purchased it at the killer price of $150.  

I feel there's enough different about both cans that they cannot easily called "this one is better".  I'd like to own both, but I'd rather wait for a deal on the X2 and skip the X1 all together.  If anyone hasn't already bought a HD650 or moved up the ladder even further.  The X1 is probably the best value on the market now, IMHO, for those looking to get into our hobby without killing the wallet.  The K7xx is a taste of what you can get, but certainly not a end-all can.  I do think the HD580/600/650 offer more versatility and value over the K7xx.  The K7xx only gets more congested as I connect it to better sources.  But sound better than anything else I own paired with my iPad4.

For what it's worth, I think the K7xx is a good headphone, but certainly over-hyped and possibly just FOTM

I never got why  anyone spends so much on amps to get the extra 10%. I like the K7XX because it is easy to drive and sounds really good out of my receiver I don't like spending more on amps and dacs then headphones. If you already own them that's different story. But I find it ludicrous when I read people pair the hd 650 with something like the mjolnir and says it scales.

Feb 4, 2015 at 2:34 PM Post #12,223 of 35,378
I think FOTM is rampant in these here parts, and this is a good example. The X1, for a while, was the best thing since Mother's Milk, and there are still some (look at the Discovery Thread) that swear by them. Now, from the descriptions, they are just "OK". I have the Q701 and the X1 (or I did, until my 16 year old daughter "liberated" the X1...), they are apples and oranges in sound. Q701 is lean/mean, some feel the bass is deficient (I find it OK). The K7xx, from what I understand (reading Head Fi), is either no upgrade from the 701,,or a relatively small one. The X1's are very comfortable (701 isn't bad). I believe there was some improvement that went into the X2-I suspect it is not day and night over the X1, but I haven't heard it, I could certainly be wrong here. It does sometimes help to give it some time to see how the dust settles; the "latest and greatest" new or upgraded model tends to get gushed over initially, then becomes old news, who could possibly want it now when "ABC" has just come out. Me, I'm the Audiophile Cheapskate-I'm happy when a new model comes out that is 5% better and costs 50% more, since it means I likely can get the now "lesser" old model at 50% or more OFF!
Just sayin'

+1, all too true.  I still think the best deal in the "audiophile" headphone world is HD600/650.  It's hard to surpass these driven well, and it doesn't take much any more.  

Feb 4, 2015 at 2:37 PM Post #12,224 of 35,378

I never got why  anyone spends so much on amps to get the extra 10%. I like the K7XX because it is easy to drive and sounds really good out of my receiver I don't like spending more on amps and dacs then headphones. If you already own them that's different story. But I find it ludicrous when I read people pair the hd 650 with something like the mjolnir and says it scales.

hd650 is not a good example for the post, since it does scale quite a lot with different amps, say, what i've personally heard..., when it's paired with the OTL tube amp WA3.

But more than that, it's a hobby. if one have the means to fund it, i see nothing wrong with buying stuffs.

Money can't buy happiness, but it does buys a lot of things that can makes one happy.

Feb 4, 2015 at 2:53 PM Post #12,225 of 35,378

hd650 is not a good example for the post, since it does scale quite a lot with different amps, say, what i've personally heard..., when it's paired with the OTL tube amp WA3.

But more than that, it's a hobby. if one have the means to fund it, i see nothing wrong with buying stuffs.

Money can't buy happiness, but it does buys a lot of things that can makes one happy.

This. A big part of this hobby is buy/trading to try out different gear. Just listening is only 50% of the fun imo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back