The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!)
Jan 11, 2015 at 1:38 PM Post #11,477 of 35,336

bro...would u buy it again at 500? 

Hello LS.  I happen to be listening to my Z7's this morning.  Here is what I would offer.  

The build quality is extremely good for either $500 or $700....really.  The build quality and comfort are exceptional.  If you read the weight, it is deceptive once they are on your head....feel much lighter.  Leather, aluminum and magnesium (cups).  Classy looking, albeit it slightly larger than the average can so I don't know how much I would use them outside of one's home.  Cable quality looks to be nice although the connectors are proprietary so you're a bit stuck until you go custom/change it.

The sound is good, especially at the $500 price point.  They are revealing...plenty of detail and V-shaped.  I believe they benefit from amping although they are easy to drive (I needed to move around so I'm direclty plugged into my MacBook Air today).  They are not as forgiving of source material, especially up top, as say an HD 650 (I own the 650's and 700's amongst some others). 

Overall, good bang for the buck at a $500 price point.  I believe you will be pleasantly surprised with the quality of construction and materials at this price point once you have them in your hands.  So my question would be, do you like that sound signature and how much is portability an issue (i.e. outside of the house and how comfy are you with a bit larger can for doing so)?

Best of luck.

HS

Jan 11, 2015 at 4:22 PM Post #11,484 of 35,336
I would just wait till the hd 650's are on sale again for $300 instead of jumping on the hd 600.

A matter of taste, I think.

From what I've heard about the current iterations of both phones, they sound surprisingly similar. Closer than one would expect, and closer than whatever differences may have existed between prior versions.

From my understanding, the 650s do still sound slightly warmer and more euphonic. But a lot of posts from folks who have owned both that I've seen recently have leaned towards the 600 for it's slightly more neutral signature. But they are very close these days, from what I've read.

Another benefit of the 600 is that they retail for less, which may or may not be important to you.

Short of listening to both phones to see what really floats your boat, it's really hard to know which one is the right one for your ears.

Jan 11, 2015 at 4:32 PM Post #11,485 of 35,336

I would just wait till the hd 650's are on sale again for $300 instead of jumping on the hd 600.

A matter of taste, I think.

From what I've heard about the current iterations of both phones, they sound surprisingly similar. Closer than one would expect, and closer than whatever differences may have existed between prior versions.

From my understanding, the 650s do still sound slightly warmer and more euphonic. But a lot of posts from folks who have owned both that I've seen recently have leaned towards the 600 for it's slightly more neutral signature. But they are very close these days, from what I've read.

Another benefit of the 600 is that they retail for less, which may or may not be important to you.

Short of listening to both phones to see what really floats your boat, it's really hard to know which one is the right one for your ears.

Very true--reasonable ears (and brains) will differ between these two excellent cans.

Throw in the DT 880 and K 7XX and it probably gets worse.

Jan 11, 2015 at 4:48 PM Post #11,486 of 35,336
If I owned the HD800's and wanted a different sound signature as the basis for jumping on another set of cans at a good price, I would lean towards the HD 650's.  They will be more different to the 800's than the 600's IMO.

The two cans that get the most play time in my rig are the 650's and the ESP-950's.  Both fun, but different sound signatures.  They are also both comfortable now that I adjusted the headband on the 650's.  Too much kung-fu grip for my big noggin' before I tweaked them.  I also find the velour more comfortable during the winter...it gets warmish for me in the warmer months.

Happy hunting...

HS

Jan 11, 2015 at 5:10 PM Post #11,487 of 35,336
  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NW357PK/ref=s9_psimh_gw_p23_d26_i3?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=desktop-1&pf_rd_r=0FS0EWFNSHVYXC56FYJM&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=1970559082&pf_rd_i=desktop

u guys seen this drop...in price?  

Umm, there are a couple of deals at that price from Amazon merchants. There are two entries for the Z7s on amazon:

Sony MDRZ7 Hi-Res Stereo Headphones
Sony Stereo Headphones MDR-Z7

One seems to be the official entry, and the $499 entry, well, less official looking. All the sellers seem to be no-name importers. Will Sony honor the warranty from these dealers?

Jan 11, 2015 at 8:14 PM Post #11,489 of 35,336
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/shure-se846-reference-iem

Think this is not a bad price on the Shure 846. Have these on my radar for a while. They have been offered on Massdrop before, seems like they get this deal repeatedly.

Jan 11, 2015 at 8:45 PM Post #11,490 of 35,336
https://www.buysonic.com/products/clarityone-audio-eb-110bl/

ClarityOne Audio EB 110BL

$19.99

Msrp: $149.99
You Save: $130 (87%)
Free shipping

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_52507_ClarityOne-Audio-EB-110BL-Cobalt-Blue.html

ClarityOne Audio EB 110BL - Cobalt Blue

List price $149.99

You Save: $135.74 (90.50%)

$14.25

^ $5 shipping. free shipping on $49 orders

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back