The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!)
Feb 21, 2018 at 4:39 PM Post #25,561 of 35,316
There has been a lot of discussion of this technology earlier in this thread (starts near post 24068). M&J purchased the phones from the Chinese OEM Verisonix who developed this hybrid design. Same drivers are in the Tate & Bower at $80. If you search the thread for Tate you should find the discussion, along with links that show the many cosmetically different variations Verisonix makes.

There are different Mitchell & Johnson drivers. I own the GL2 and the MJ2. Totally different bass drivers. There are pictures of both on the M&J impressions thread here at Head-Fi. The GL2 has a clear dome and the MJ2 has an opaque grayish-black driver. There may be other drivers. Guessing there are. Saw one brand with 16 ohm impedance. All the M&J are 32 ohm.

Saying the technology is the same doesn't mean they all sound the same. Audeze are planars but don't all sound the same.

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2018 at 5:11 PM Post #25,562 of 35,316
I'm saying the M&J MJ2 IS the Verisonix N501 made by Verisonix. The specs are the same, they look identical. The GL2 and Bauer & Tate linked to above appear to be the Verisonix I502C. At the lower end, the Sharkk at $30 is also a Verisonix, (update: the Verisonix model N100B).

Could M&J requested that their version be tuned differently...certainly, although it does not say so in the specs. But the relationship is not one of being simply the same driver types. The M&J are made by Verisonix.

The $30 Sharkk Bravo started on Indegogo with a campaign not too dissimilar from M&J's Kickstarter. Initial price of the Bravo - $250.

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2018 at 7:49 PM Post #25,563 of 35,316
I'm saying the M&J MJ2 IS the Verisonix N501 made by Verisonix. The specs are the same, they look identical. The GL2 and Bauer & Tate linked to above appear to be the Verisonix I502C. At the lower end, the Sharkk at $30 is also a Verisonix, though I no longer see it on their site.

Could M&J requested that their version be tuned differently...certainly, although it does not say so in the specs. But the relationship is not one of being simply the same driver types. The M&J are made by Verisonix.

The $30 Sharkk Bravo started on Indegogo with a campaign not too dissimilar from M&J's Kickstarter. Initial price of the Bravo - $250.
And if you compare user reviews of the Sharkk and M&J there are vast differences in how happy they were with the sound. Many of the Sharkk had rattles and other construction problems. The M&J have few if any of those problems. Besides drivers there are also crossovers in these headphones. Just saying same tech doesn't mean same sound.

Feb 21, 2018 at 9:32 PM Post #25,564 of 35,316
And if you compare user reviews of the Sharkk and M&J there are vast differences in how happy they were with the sound. Many of the Sharkk had rattles and other construction problems. The M&J have few if any of those problems. Besides drivers there are also crossovers in these headphones. Just saying same tech doesn't mean same sound.

That may be true for the Sharkk but the Tate & Bauer have a good reputation in the M&J thread. They do seem to be somewhat more cheaply built but it sounds like not nearly as badly as the Sharkk.

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2018 at 11:42 PM Post #25,565 of 35,316
I'm saying the M&J MJ2 IS the Verisonix N501 made by Verisonix. The specs are the same, they look identical. The GL2 and Bauer & Tate linked to above appear to be the Verisonix I502C. At the lower end, the Sharkk at $30 is also a Verisonix, (update: the Verisonix model N100B).

The manufacture of the driver was on Indiegogo for a test run
Electrostatz Hi-Res Hybrid Dual-driver Headphones
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/electrostatz-hi-res-hybrid-dual-driver-headphones#/

She actually sounded really 'good'. My problem was the small ear cups. I actually enjoy her than my V-MODA Crossfade Wireless - both wireless and wire.
Still working, my niece using her now.

Feb 22, 2018 at 10:12 AM Post #25,566 of 35,316
This isn't a new deal. Probably been on for about half a year. Swedish made Jays A-Jay's. They discontinued their Windows remote version of these but still offer the iPhone and Android remote versions. The Windows remote version works fine with my Android phone. $10 + $15 for priority shipping to the USA. They have other regions including the EU but I don't know what that pricing is. I don't think you can buy a better engineered IEM for quadruple the price. They sound decent, I'd describe them as good but a bit bass heavy or slightly dark, depending on which wording style you prefer. I'll post the link to the earphone. You'll need to change region to start, located on the bottom of the page. Other for dollar pricing and obviously you'll need to pick the correct region for where you are. ( these steps should not be needed: Then choose outlet. The A-Jay's five, if necessary.) Then Windows otherwise you'll get the regular price of $69 for the Android or iPhone remote version.

https://www.jaysheadphones.com/products/a-jays-five

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2018 at 11:41 AM Post #25,567 of 35,316
Feb 22, 2018 at 11:51 AM Post #25,568 of 35,316
The manufacture of the driver was on Indiegogo for a test run
Electrostatz Hi-Res Hybrid Dual-driver Headphones
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/electrostatz-hi-res-hybrid-dual-driver-headphones#/

She actually sounded really 'good'. My problem was the small ear cups. I actually enjoy her than my V-MODA Crossfade Wireless - both wireless and wire.
Still working, my niece using her now.

This topic is really informative because I was interested in M&J a while back. Never knew about these other OEMs. I searched for comparison threads for Bauer and Tate but couldn't find very many. If someone could point me in the right direction I'd appreciate it. (Say like comparing to a Fostex planar or something like that - The M&J was a bit expensive for me but the B&T around 80 could be palatable). This is place is a wealth of knowledge and experience.

Feb 22, 2018 at 12:05 PM Post #25,569 of 35,316
This topic is really informative because I was interested in M&J a while back. Never knew about these other OEMs. I searched for comparison threads for Bauer and Tate but couldn't find very many. If someone could point me in the right direction I'd appreciate it. (Say like comparing to a Fostex planar or something like that - The M&J was a bit expensive for me but the B&T around 80 could be palatable). This is place is a wealth of knowledge and experience.

I owned the B&T as did some other members and the discussion of it is around post 24068 of this thread. I liked the comfort except for the pads and replaced them (I think there are photos of that in this thread...search Tate). You will have better luck finding professional reviews of the M&J GL2 which I am convinced is an identical headphone except for the branding. (I compared my B&T to the photos of the M&J closely, they seem identical). You will find several reviews on that model.

Feb 22, 2018 at 5:18 PM Post #25,571 of 35,316
UPDATE: Just dropped to $20, seems to be a price war.

Not a Headphone But: Amazon has dropped the price of the Jam Audio Symphony WiFi powered speaker has from its normal price of $150 about a month ago, to $37. Buy from Amazon or a fulfilled by Amazon 3rd party if it saves you tax.

I paid $10 more last week and it arrived today. It sounds really excellent, comparable to a Sonos 3 or my Wren Playfi speaker.

The upside, it sounds great to me, quality hifi, not bloated, and the WiFi system it uses works well for Spotify, Tune-In, and DLNA file streaming. It has an Aux input so is compatible with Echo or Chromecast Audio if you want to ignore its proprietary Wifi System (Linkplay based but does not work with other brands i have tried). Sounds great, Plays loud with balanced bass. Certainly in the ballpark with a Sonos 3 or 5 sound wise. If its somewhat limited WiFi functions do what you want, the system sounds good and is reliable. 2 dome tweeters, 2 midrange, and 1 active woofer in the box. Will multi-room, but only with other Jam speakers. If you are looking for powered speaker to run from an aux source that sounds great, it will do that.

The Downside, no Bluetooth at all, it Works with Alexa (that is, once set up you can play music through it from the Alexa app, However, it has no built in mic, so if you want to use voice commands you have to use the Jam App on your phone to do it (lame).

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2018 at 6:37 PM Post #25,572 of 35,316
UPDATE: Just dropped to $22, seems to be a price war.

Not a Headphone But: Amazon has dropped the price of the Jam Audio Symphony WiFi powered speaker has from its normal price of $150 about a month ago, to $37. Buy from Amazon or a fulfilled by Amazon 3rd party if it saves you tax.

I paid $10 more last week and it arrived today. It sounds really excellent, comparable to a Sonos 3 or my Wren Playfi speaker.

The upside, it sounds great to me, quality hifi, not bloated, and the WiFi system it uses works well for Spotify, Tune-In, and DLNA file streaming. It has an Aux input so is compatible with Echo or Chromecast Audio if you want to ignore its proprietary Wifi System (Linkplay based but does not work with other brands i have tried). Sounds great, Plays loud with balanced bass. Certainly in the ballpark with a Sonos 3 or 5 sound wise. If its somewhat limited WiFi functions do what you want, the system sounds good and is reliable. 2 dome tweeters, 2 midrange, and 1 active woofer in the box. Will multi-room, but only with other Jam speakers. If you are looking for powered speaker to run from an aux source that sounds great, it will do that.

The Downside, no Bluetooth at all, it Works with Alexa (that is, once set up you can play music through it from the Alexa app, However, it has no built in mic, so if you want to use voice commands you have to use the Jam App on your phone to do it (lame).

WOW!

Feb 22, 2018 at 6:45 PM Post #25,573 of 35,316

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back