The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!)
Jan 30, 2018 at 6:09 PM Post #25,473 of 35,330
Brainwavz B200, $99.50, $20 off- does the Head-Fi 10% code (HEADFI) still apply?

TFZ Tequila 1, $109.99, $30 off at Massdrop

361A4156_20180126101828.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2018 at 6:36 PM Post #25,474 of 35,330
Jan 30, 2018 at 6:44 PM Post #25,475 of 35,330
Aurender Flow portable headphone DAC/amp/transport at Moon Audio for $795, down from $1295. I'm not sure what the current street price is like for this, but I don't remember seeing it for less than 1k.
https://www.moon-audio.com/aurender-flow-dac.html

Jan 31, 2018 at 12:27 AM Post #25,477 of 35,330
It's the last day in the Massdrop SDAC + Liquid Carbon X (LCX) drop for $380. I'm kinda surprised I haven't seen more chatter on this one. I haven't really hard anything negative about the Liquid Carbon and this drop is a deal compared to the original offering. Does this indicate that most people prefer SE amps? Is balanced alive and strong? I figured if a deal this appealing dropped, the balance conversations, price/value, would be in full stride. Maybe I'm following the wrong threads.

Jan 31, 2018 at 10:03 AM Post #25,479 of 35,330
Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 31, 2018 at 12:38 PM Post #25,481 of 35,330
Jan 31, 2018 at 1:02 PM Post #25,482 of 35,330
Jan 31, 2018 at 2:40 PM Post #25,483 of 35,330
It's the last day in the Massdrop SDAC + Liquid Carbon X (LCX) drop for $380. I'm kinda surprised I haven't seen more chatter on this one. I haven't really hard anything negative about the Liquid Carbon and this drop is a deal compared to the original offering. Does this indicate that most people prefer SE amps? Is balanced alive and strong? I figured if a deal this appealing dropped, the balance conversations, price/value, would be in full stride. Maybe I'm following the wrong threads.

I'm with you...surprised this hasn't gotten more play, for 3 reasons:
  1. The Liquid Carbon is a terrific amp--real power, balanced or SE; small; not pricey; sounds kind of amazing, if you like amps that lean on the warm side, this is for you (it's way more than just a "warmth filter," though). I love my LC v2, can't be without it. To show you how good it is, I frequently compare it to the V281 on same headphones (my DAC has dual RCA outputs, so both amps are usually connected & live)--and while the LC certainly is not better than the V281, it is way more competitive than you would expect. In fact, it does certain things better than the V281, which is mind-boggling...
  2. No more cavalli means no more LC. So Massdrop is the only game in town
  3. And the DAC bundled w/this Massdrop offering is inexpensive and said to be quite good. A saw a post in the SDAC thread by a user who just got his from Massdrop (there were months of waiting time on that drop) and said it's really really good.
Trust me, if you look around for a solidly built, good sounding, balanced SE combo amp/DAC, you will find very few candidates indeed--much less under $400. I'm all set for amps & DACs, so am not a customer for this box. But if I wasn't set for amps & DACs, I'd be all over this like white-on-rice.

Jan 31, 2018 at 3:37 PM Post #25,484 of 35,330
I'm with you...surprised this hasn't gotten more play, for 3 reasons:
  1. The Liquid Carbon is a terrific amp--real power, balanced or SE; small; not pricey; sounds kind of amazing, if you like amps that lean on the warm side, this is for you (it's way more than just a "warmth filter," though). I love my LC v2, can't be without it. To show you how good it is, I frequently compare it to the V281 on same headphones (my DAC has dual RCA outputs, so both amps are usually connected & live)--and while the LC certainly is not better than the V281, it is way more competitive than you would expect. In fact, it does certain things better than the V281, which is mind-boggling...
  2. No more cavalli means no more LC. So Massdrop is the only game in town
  3. And the DAC bundled w/this Massdrop offering is inexpensive and said to be quite good. A saw a post in the SDAC thread by a user who just got his from Massdrop (there were months of waiting time on that drop) and said it's really really good.
Trust me, if you look around for a solidly built, good sounding, balanced SE combo amp/DAC, you will find very few candidates indeed--much less under $400. I'm all set for amps & DACs, so am not a customer for this box. But if I wasn't set for amps & DACs, I'd be all over this like white-on-rice.
Well... you did not take into account the LCX drop from 4 months ago or so. Some (like me) already bought the LCX, so that reduces the number of interested folks.
As for the built-in DAC, I personally have a very good discrete DAC, so I would rather pay $299 for a version without the DAC.

Jan 31, 2018 at 4:07 PM Post #25,485 of 35,330
HiFiMan HE400i headphones for $180 down from $250 (current MSRP) or $220 (widely available street price) at BuyDig:
https://www.buydig.com/shop/product...r-Planar-Magnetic-Headphones-Dark-Blue-Chrome

They are listed as a special edition, dark blue chrome pair. I purchased a set with this deal last time it posted and they are not blue. They looked identical to my previous purplish 400i, except that they didn't come with the nice display box, just a cardboard box. Still sound exactly the same though.

Coupon code is: LISTENUP

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back