The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!)
Jul 11, 2017 at 10:30 AM Post #24,061 of 35,333
Jul 11, 2017 at 10:35 AM Post #24,062 of 35,333
Jul 11, 2017 at 7:35 PM Post #24,063 of 35,333
Jul 11, 2017 at 7:58 PM Post #24,066 of 35,333
I searched Prime Day deals for "headphone" and this wasn't listed as an upcoming deal. Are the lightning deals not announced ahead of time and when they will go live? What am I doing wrong? I guess it already expired, but there was no indication that it was forthcoming ahead of the deal.

I think Lightning Deals are considered a different category. One of the first things I searched for in the Prime Day deals was the 598's, and they didn't show up for me there either. There have also been a number of sales (non-audio) that coincide with Prime Day, but are not a part of it. It's been difficult not to miss something!

Jul 11, 2017 at 8:11 PM Post #24,067 of 35,333
I think Lightning Deals are considered a different category. One of the first things I searched for in the Prime Day deals was the 598's, and they didn't show up for me there either. There have also been a number of sales (non-audio) that coincide with Prime Day, but are not a part of it. It's been difficult not to miss something!
Yeah, it seems Amazon really wants everyone on their website non-stop all-day on Prime Day. Otherwise, they'd just announce the deals ahead of time and announce the time each deal goes live. They do for some Prime Day deals, but apparently, not all. They need to improve this a bit, so that people don't miss out on something they really want. Not everyone can browse Amazon for 30 hours straight to be sure they don't miss anything.

Jul 12, 2017 at 1:22 AM Post #24,068 of 35,333
I was unaware until today of the great Indiegogo Electrostatic Headphone scam of 2016, but the remnants, hybrid electret over-ear headphones are available for less than $90 on Amazon.

The Sharkk Bravo that was Indiegogoed at $250ish is now $90 On Amazon - the OEM was Verisonix of Taiwan and this is their budget model N100B.

A better value seems to be the Tate & Bauer HD900R with real wood cups & bluetooth adapter for $85 on Amazon a more upscale Verisonix i502c that is seemingly also sold as the Mitchell & Johnson GL2 ($300 on Amazon)

The Sharkk has truly horrible reviews on Head-fi from those who spent $250 on the Indie campaign. Tyll said the Mitchell & Johnson's did not sound as bad as he feared they would.

I just ordered the Tate & Bauer cans, I'll try them out and let you guys know if they're any good.

If you're already so inclined, buy the Tate & Bauers. I'll write a more in-depth review, but so far my impressions are very positive, especially for their $85 price. They have caveats; short cord, worthless BT adapter, shallow earpads, and a plasticky overall feel, but in sound they're damned good, especially in the mids and upper bass region. They remind me a whole lot of the old Stax electret cans, only with fuller bass and more textured mids, like ESP-950s with a more narrow soundstage but better bass extension. They have me intrigued and I'm going to spend more time with them. In fact, going by sound alone, if someone had told me these were $500 I wouldn't have batted an eye.

https://smile.amazon.com/Tate-Bauer-Newest-Technology-Electrostatz/dp/B01MY18PRG

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2017 at 1:27 AM Post #24,069 of 35,333
Jul 12, 2017 at 4:10 AM Post #24,070 of 35,333
If you're already so inclined, buy the Tate & Bauers. I'll write a more in-depth review, but so far my impressions are very positive, especially for their $85 price. They have caveats; short cord, worthless BT adapter, shallow earpads, and a plasticky overall feel, but in sound they're damned good, especially in the mids and upper bass region. They remind a whole lot of the old Stax electret cans, only with fuller bass and more textured mids, like ESP-950s with a more narrow soundstage but better bass extension. They have me intrigued and I'm going to spend more time with them. In fact, going by sound alone, if someone had told me these were $500 I wouldn't have batted an eye.

https://smile.amazon.com/Tate-Bauer-Newest-Technology-Electrostatz/dp/B01MY18PRG

Geez, it's 4am and I'm still up listening to Fleetwood Mac on these things. Can't remember the last time I did this with a new set of cans. They have such detailed, textured mids, and taut upper bass, very addicting. While they're at their best with my Zodiac Platinum, they're just as engaging with my M9xx.

Jul 12, 2017 at 5:23 AM Post #24,071 of 35,333
Geez, it's 4am and I'm still up listening to Fleetwood Mac on these things. Can't remember the last time I did this with a new set of cans. They have such detailed, textured mids, and taut upper bass, very addicting. While they're at their best with my Zodiac Platinum, they're just as engaging with my M9xx.

Sorry as it's probably off topic given the nature of the thread, but how would you say they are in terms of isolation? They certainly sound like a great deal for a closed can so far, and I've never owned a great closed can. Then again, I might be overly hopeful due to the comparison to the Koss, plus the $500 statement. It's awfully tempting.

Jul 12, 2017 at 9:37 AM Post #24,073 of 35,333
If you're already so inclined, buy the Tate & Bauers. I'll write a more in-depth review, but so far my impressions are very positive, especially for their $85 price. They have caveats; short cord, worthless BT adapter, shallow earpads, and a plasticky overall feel, but in sound they're damned good, especially in the mids and upper bass region. They remind me a whole lot of the old Stax electret cans, only with fuller bass and more textured mids, like ESP-950s with a more narrow soundstage but better bass extension. They have me intrigued and I'm going to spend more time with them. In fact, going by sound alone, if someone had told me these were $500 I wouldn't have batted an eye.

Thanks for the comments. So how about it compared with HD650? Thanks!

Jul 12, 2017 at 9:44 AM Post #24,074 of 35,333
Put the Tate and Bauers in my cart on Amazon, just deciding on that final buy (I have the HEK v2, ESP-950's, and HE-560, I really don't NEED these. But, to paraphrase that wise woman Tina Turner, as I am wont to do, "What's need got to do with it...")

Jul 12, 2017 at 10:28 AM Post #24,075 of 35,333
Put the Tate and Bauers in my cart on Amazon, just deciding on that final buy (I have the HEK v2, ESP-950's, and HE-560, I really don't NEED these. But, to paraphrase that wise woman Tina Turner, as I am wont to do, "What's need got to do with it...")

For those wanting more information before buying, I suggest the Mitchell and Johnson threads on Head-Fi:
- Appreciation Thread
- Kickstarter GL2 Thread

I believe these Tate and Bauers are identical to the M&J Model GL2. All the M&Js (and the Sharkk) seem to share the same transducer pair with the Tate & Bauers.
You will see in the threads that opinions vary widely from Immediate Adulation, To Slow Building Appreciation (after 200+ Hours burn in), to "You must be out of your mind these suck".

My experience, I am not sure yet. They definitely do not suck, but they didn't immediately grab mec. I am probably prejudiced by the cheap build quality, but like the comfort a lot.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back