The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!)
Jul 8, 2017 at 1:28 AM Post #24,033 of 35,338
Do you own a he560 or any other product from hifiman? Are they of reliable quality overall? I have a few sennheiser headphones which (though not badly handled) have held up nicely. Would like to know if I can expect the same from hifiman

That's something more appropriately and thoroughly answered in the threads for those products, but I will say that HiFiMan products in general and the HE560 in particular are not without their QC concerns. It would be worth your time to get a little background on those concerns to figure out how much of a warranty will give you peace of mind and adequate protection for your investment.

It's all moot now as the Walmart deal is gone.

It should be noted that the deal ran for about a month before the vendor sold out, so it doesn't seem to be a mistake in pricing, a flash sale, or something like that. Frankly, I have no idea what that guy was thinking pricing them that low, but it seems to have been deliberate. If he gets more stock in, the deal may pop back up. Also, I think it's important to understand what the lack of a HiFiMan warranty means on a practical level, as many an unauthorized dealer runs a better-than-MSRP sale on HiFiMan products from time to time.

Jul 8, 2017 at 2:11 AM Post #24,034 of 35,338
Fair point. But, it shows zero estimated taxes after adding it to cart. That may change at checkout, but I think that sales tax only applies to things sold by Amazon (as opposed to simply fulfilled by Amazon). It seems that way in NM, at least. Correct me if I am mistaken. I'm still getting used to this online sales tax thing.
That's correct. Amazon now charges sales tax when the seller is Amazon.com, if your state has a sales tax. If the seller is a 3rd party seller, whether or not fulfilled by Amazon, then the sales tax should only apply if the ship to address is in the same state where the seller is registered.

Jul 8, 2017 at 7:53 AM Post #24,035 of 35,338
I was unaware until today of the great Indiegogo Electrostatic Headphone scam of 2016, but the remnants, hybrid electret over-ear headphones are available for less than $90 on Amazon.

The Sharkk Bravo that was Indiegogoed at $250ish is now $90 On Amazon - the OEM was Verisonix of Taiwan and this is their budget model N100B.

A better value seems to be the Tate & Bauer HD900R with real wood cups & bluetooth adapter for $85 on Amazon a more upscale Verisonix i502c that is seemingly also sold as the Mitchell & Johnson GL2 ($300 on Amazon)

The Sharkk has truly horrible reviews on Head-fi from those who spent $250 on the Indie campaign. Tyll said the Mitchell & Johnson's did not sound as bad as he feared they would.

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2017 at 8:56 AM Post #24,036 of 35,338
I was unaware until today of the great Indiegogo Electrostatic Headphone scam of 2016, but the remnants, hybrid electret over-ear headphones are available for less than $90 on Amazon.

The Sharkk Bravo that was Indiegogoed at $250ish is now $90 On Amazon - the OEM was Verisonix of Taiwan and this is their budget model N100B.

A better value seems to be the Tate & Bauer HD900R with real wood cups & bluetooth adapter for $85 on Amazon a more upscale Verisonix i502c that is seemingly also sold as the Mitchell & Johnson GL2 ($300 on Amazon)

The Sharkk has truly horrible reviews on Head-fi from those who spent $250 on the Indie campaign. Tyll said the Mitchell & Johnson's did not sound as bad as he feared they would.

To be afraid, or to give the Electret a try? I was amused by one review that claimed the Tate & Bauer was on par with a $25K setup, plus it'd be something different. Although I should do more research so it wouldn't be an utterly blind purchase.

Jul 8, 2017 at 11:15 AM Post #24,037 of 35,338
To be afraid, or to give the Electret a try? I was amused by one review that claimed the Tate & Bauer was on par with a $25K setup, plus it'd be something different. Although I should do more research so it wouldn't be an utterly blind purchase.

The Tate & Bauer HD 900R seem interesting, but I could literally find no reviews of them after googling... the only reviews seem to be on Amazon, and none of those seemed particularly credible.

All the same, $85... my fear is that they'd be as terrible as the Sharkk Bravo, just better looking.

Jul 8, 2017 at 11:30 AM Post #24,038 of 35,338
The Tate & Bauer HD 900R seem interesting, but I could literally find no reviews of them after googling....

There is more available if you Google the Mitchell and Johnson GL2, including discussions on Head-fi and a few professional reviews. The GL2 and the T&B are probably identical.

The HD 900r is a Prime warehoused and shipped by Amazon item, and since the actual seller does not have their own return policy printed, the 30 Amazon policy should apply.

Look at it this way, you would only be $85 disappointed not $300 angry. I do not expect they sound great but am intrigued enough to try out a pair.

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2017 at 12:00 PM Post #24,039 of 35,338
More HD6xx units (10,000) available July 10. IMHO: Looks like this might be the swag song for the HD650, and sennheiser has found price point and outlet that works for the current product, and has a great opportunity to come out with an upgraded unit. Hopefully they do, and hopefully they integrate the lessons learned from mod community.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-sennheiser-hd6xx/talk

Jul 8, 2017 at 6:08 PM Post #24,040 of 35,338
More HD6xx units (10,000) available July 10. IMHO: Looks like this might be the swag song for the HD650, and sennheiser has found price point and outlet that works for the current product, and has a great opportunity to come out with an upgraded unit. Hopefully they do, and hopefully they integrate the lessons learned from mod community.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-sennheiser-hd6xx/talk
Here's the link for those who may not have a log in or don't wish to register yet: https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-sennheiser-hd6xx/talk?mode=guest_open

Edit: You may need to clear out your cookies/temp internet files before my link will work. If I clicked on Allanmarcus's link first, and then tried mine, it didn't work. Had to clear my cookies and cache, then it worked.

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2017 at 10:33 PM Post #24,041 of 35,338
Jul 10, 2017 at 2:00 AM Post #24,042 of 35,338

I just ordered the Tate & Bauer cans, I'll try them out and let you guys know if they're any good.

Jul 10, 2017 at 10:16 AM Post #24,044 of 35,338
Last edited:
Jul 10, 2017 at 12:15 PM Post #24,045 of 35,338
I just ordered the Tate & Bauer cans, I'll try them out and let you guys know if they're any good.

Thanks for taking one for the team :beerchug:.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back