The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!)
Jan 11, 2016 at 9:12 PM Post #19,936 of 35,348
  Well, you haven't heard them before.  I thought my Stax SR-009s were the best headphones ever made until I heard the Beats Pro.
Posting guidelines:
"
Similarly, please avoid trashing equipment you haven't used or aren't familiar with.
 Having doubts about something you see in a design is fair enough, but to quote Robert Pirsig: "
The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility, it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed."
 It is quite possible to derive satisfaction from listening with any audio gear as much from your appreciation of the design (whether how it looks or how it measures) as much as how it reproduces music. No method of appreciation is "wrong"."

I'd rather not argue here, but you make a convincing argument. 

Yes, by the letter of the law, I am in the wrong; but as a principle, I'd prefer to support a company like HIFIMAN that constantly innovates and brings excellent new products to market. HIFIMAN's reputation is built upon producing great products at competitive prices, and not upon marketing muscle or marketshare. 

Jan 12, 2016 at 3:34 AM Post #19,937 of 35,348
Another $995 Adorama LCD-2 bundle deal (the last one was with an AK Jr at the same price), this time with the iFi iDSD:

www.adorama.com/AULCD2LATCB.html?emailprice=t

I really wonder what's going on with these LCD-2 bundles, you would never see these prices previously.

PS. If anyone gets this and wants to get rid of the iDSD at a good price, get back to me
tongue.gif

Anyone actually get one of these? If you're keen to offload the iDSD, message me, eh? 

Jan 12, 2016 at 7:51 AM Post #19,938 of 35,348
  Anyone actually get one of these? If you're keen to offload the iDSD, message me, eh? 

Did I miss the release of LCD-2 with aluminum ear cups??

Jan 12, 2016 at 3:34 PM Post #19,944 of 35,348
The EL-8 will have an aluminum cup option.  The LCD2 will no longer use rosewood. I don't have the new type but will update soon. 

Interesting. Adorama has the aluminum ones, but i assumed it was something they worked out with audeze. Guess this is a complete change in the line.

Anyone find,anythng on sound change associated with it?

Jan 12, 2016 at 4:18 PM Post #19,945 of 35,348

The EL-8 will have an aluminum cup option.  The LCD2 will no longer use rosewood. I don't have the new type but will update soon. 

Interesting. Adorama has the aluminum ones, but i assumed it was something they worked out with audeze. Guess this is a complete change in the line.

Aluminum is brighter than wood, and is more metallic. 

:)

Jan 12, 2016 at 4:28 PM Post #19,946 of 35,348

>.<
The material change is for a thin ring around the cup that has no effect on the sound whatsoever.  All it does is change how it looks.

Jan 12, 2016 at 4:46 PM Post #19,948 of 35,348

I was thinking more along the lines of driver revisions to go with it? Line is like 5 or 6 years old now? I think the fazor rev was in like 2012?

Jan 12, 2016 at 4:47 PM Post #19,949 of 35,348

I prefer wood's brown, grainy timbre.
redface.gif

Again, the materials change has no effect whatsoever.
A relatively thin ring of material around the actual housing will have absolutely no effect on how it sounds.
Here's a diagram to illustrate that:
The brown is the wood ring, the picture on the right is a direct view of the cup and driver, the picture on the right is a view of the cup from the side.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back