The Continuation Of The Sony Walkman 1Z/1A Thread!
Aug 12, 2021 at 2:38 PM Post #2,011 of 5,313
The 1A/1Z still rely kinda much on DSP when compared to other players.

I imagine that the 1A firmware on the DX220 would sound awesome!
But it won't have the S-Master HX which I feel is the key to why the Sony sounds so good and has the Energizer Bunny battery life.

Aug 12, 2021 at 5:56 PM Post #2,012 of 5,313
But it won't have the S-Master HX which I feel is the key to why the Sony sounds so good and has the Energizer Bunny battery life.

Yeah, the Sony has a Class D Amp. Still, you should hear how an A45 sounds with the stock software, a ZX300-based firmware, and and a 1A/1Z-based firmware. The 1A/1Z firmware definitely sounds the best.

Of course, these players they all have the same S-Master chip - though I'm not entirely sure, the S-Master (CXD3778GF) could probably be used in a non class D amplifier setup too.

Aug 12, 2021 at 8:20 PM Post #2,013 of 5,313
Is a wm1a with custom fw say dawn or midnight, be outshined by a dx220 (provided one has all the cards)?
I was also eyeing dx200 along with 1A previously as the swapable amp will means that you could have the same player with different sound signature and power output. Obviously I finally take the plunge with 1A which I wasn't fully aware of its cfw and rockbox capability at that time. Now that I've experience the 1A with cfw plus region change, it's like having a DAP with swapable amp but without any hardware swap. And it's so well implemented! Although sadly the power output isn't sufficient for some but it is for me.

Aug 13, 2021 at 9:50 AM Post #2,014 of 5,313
Any idea why my 1A and iPhone 11 aren’t seeing each other when I try to pair them via Bluetooth? I don’t think I’ve ever tried before.

Aug 13, 2021 at 10:10 AM Post #2,015 of 5,313
Any idea why my 1A and iPhone 11 aren’t seeing each other when I try to pair them via Bluetooth? I don’t think I’ve ever tried before.
Have you activated bt receiver on the 1A ?

I have no problem streaming from my iPhone11 Pro or iPad Pro to my 1Z

Aug 19, 2021 at 1:38 PM Post #2,017 of 5,313
Here's a question for everyone - what are the most challenging cans that you drive solely with the 1A/1Z?

Personally, I drive the Z1R with no amp and do not feel like I am missing anything. But the Z1R are "easy to drive."

Aug 22, 2021 at 7:49 AM Post #2,018 of 5,313
Here’s mine!
A8355ACB-F938-44C9-9252-D435CC83FAAC.jpeg

Aug 22, 2021 at 7:53 AM Post #2,019 of 5,313
Here's a question for everyone - what are the most challenging cans that you drive solely with the 1A/1Z?

Personally, I drive the Z1R with no amp and do not feel like I am missing anything. But the Z1R are "easy to drive."

Driving Z7M2, though they are also "easy to drive", and I had the Beyerdynamic DT1770 Pro (250 ohms) out of the SE port, and I didn't have to max out the volume.

Aug 22, 2021 at 7:55 AM Post #2,020 of 5,313

6046AAAE-545A-43EB-8605-56FC0FC12003.jpeg

Bliss.
Still there is a fraction of damping power that an desktop does. Though it may depend on volume levels used, if you notice it?

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2021 at 4:29 PM Post #2,021 of 5,313
Bliss.
Still there is a fraction of damping power that an desktop does. Though it may depend on volume levels used, if you notice it?
I aim for around 60-68 dB (typically between 40 and 48 on the volume dial, balanced hi-gain). Does damping power really have much impact? It's one of the arguments I see for amplifiers. Is it really noticeable, does it make the sound "faster" and more precise?

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2021 at 9:13 PM Post #2,022 of 5,313
I aim for around 60-68 dB (typically between 40 and 48 on the volume dial, balanced hi-gain). Does damping power really have much impact? It's one of the arguments I see for amplifiers. Is it really noticeable, does it make the sound "faster" and more precise?
The interesting part was I did a side by side contest between the MDR-Z1R and the MDR-Z7 yesterday. I normally listen to the TA amp when using those headphones. But for the test I used only the single ended “Asgard” amp and the Cambridge Audio DACMagic Plus. Basically I was just trying the amp with the headphones to learn of the results and differences between them.

What the most profound thing I learned is about bass texture. Meaning, if you were not shown excellent bass definition and detail you would maybe accept sub standard tone. The other confusing aspect is that in this particular situation we are not looking for more amp power to make it louder at all!

This phenomenon I have learned about 12 years ago. I keep hearing and learning different levels of it and it’s ramifications.

It’s not an argument at all. But it is the sum of many things. The headphone make model, the amp, the style of music, and the volume used. Even the source comes into play here. Mainly you don’t know you have better damping till you here it. Also many have done modifications to their headphones to get dampening. Which dampening does other things but in many ways they are the same. So there is electric damping and the manufacturing process and enthusiast may do dampening with material to absorb standing waves, reduce reflection and finally tune or diminish actual cup resonance. Also obviously the two are different but at times better damping can get the same results as (better) dampening.

The result of my test showed the MDR-Z7 to be way more inferior to the MDR-Z1R. Mainly in the bass area, but really everywhere. Funny too, as there is a mod to place dampening material in the Z7 cups. I haven’t done it.

The better parts of the Z1R (compared to the Z7) is obviously all across the board, meaning more realism, better soundstage and on and on. But the bass of the MDR-Z1R showed texture and detail. Especially with EDM there was the kick drum that showed itself to be round, have positioning and timbre. You could hear around and even underneath the kick! The Z7 offered at best a loss of pace as well as a slightly foggy thud where the bass was. If you had no comparison you still may hold the Z7 in high regard, as you didn’t know better.

The idea of adding more power (other than the 1Z) is that the damping will also increase the quality in the MDR-Z1R. So the issue is in a way the same. Increase damping will get you bass texture as well as bigger soundstage. Strangely, people may actually listen (with an amp) at lower volume than the Walkmans? Reason being that there can actually be a 1 dB improvement in bass. That 1dB or more will sound like way more bass. But it’s not it’s just combined with better defined bass. Better defined bass actually has an end really of sounding like more bass. This is a highly regarded sonic illusion of sorts!

Simply said, more power gets the diaphragm of the Z1R to start and stop with more precision! The movement forward and back (and to stop) is better controlled.

In the end more damping power (say the difference would be the Walkmans in contrast to the TA amp) would mean the Z1R would have just slightly better speed as well as a bigger soundstage, the bass definition (maybe a smidge more bass) and even slightly more real timbre. Mind you this is maybe only 10% of the noted differences..........and it depends on volume used. Volume has all kinds of changes really. The human ear actually creates distortion after a certain level. But beyond that.........drivers actually have their own distortion as well as a change in frequency reproduction. I feel the real (and most noticeable) difference would be in the realm of psychological results. Meaning that volume would change almost everything!

But over the years I have come across super low volume listeners that seemed to not notice the damping issue as much? So I don’t know? But it’s a guess that in their use, damping is less of an issue?

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2021 at 5:57 PM Post #2,024 of 5,313
Who here has the gold brick and have tried the modded firmware and different regions but ultimately went back to stock? Do you believe the later stock firmware (3.02) which applies to both units was more so catered to the 1Z and addressed/fixed/brought the sound closer to their later vision?

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back