The Continuation Of The Sony Walkman 1Z/1A Thread!
Sep 2, 2021 at 9:53 AM Post #2,041 of 5,330
I had the ZX300, the 1A, then 1Z so I was very used to it.
At the end with the internal memory full + a full 1 TB microSD it was really a hassle to find songs.
I can understand that for you it's not a problem because you remember from which artist and in which album is every song but that's not my case :)
For me it's the same difference as finding something via the Yahoo! Directory vs. Google :D
I got ya. The songs, even though they are in order are in a list that’s too big or they are too close to being the same on a 1TB card. Or you don’t even remember the exact name of the song and want to put in just a fraction of the name and have a small list to choose from. Yes. In that regard your right! It can’t do that. No way around it, either.

Yes, Also it may depend how much time you spend with your library? Meaning after a while you kind of know more about your music. All of it! Still your right.

But being that I concentrate on albums and artists it’s easy. You do need more.

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2021 at 9:54 AM Post #2,042 of 5,330
Myself I have albums in folders by artist, so I can just go to a certain artist and listen to a certain song from a certain album, and I'm really ok with it.

Yeah. a search option would be nice, but I don't mind not having it on my 1A.

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2021 at 10:00 AM Post #2,043 of 5,330
I gave composer folders woth albums and i can go to specific compiser and liaten what i am looking for. Other than that ive grouper by alphabet to shorten the liat.
Music/A-C/Carl Philipp Emanuel Bach/…
Music/G-I/Geoeg Friderich Handel/…

Sep 2, 2021 at 10:05 AM Post #2,044 of 5,330
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Sep 2, 2021 at 1:41 PM Post #2,045 of 5,330

I went for letters A, B, C, D...... and under those directories are artist by last name. I also have a 0_Composites folder for any composite albums. The albums are under the artist directory. It makes it easy to find any album for me.

Sep 2, 2021 at 2:09 PM Post #2,046 of 5,330
I consider a search function "something that would be nice but not essential." For my part I would much rather have 30 hours of battery life than streaming (which I don't do).

My primary means of navigation on my 1A is Artist>Album (I usually listen to full albums) and the only hassle is scrolling through artists, but the alphabetic indicator is helpful for a fast swipe. Occasionally I will go to the Hi-Res menu if I know what I'm looking for is there, since there are fewer artists to scroll. My main listening is classical, so for me sorting by "artist" means Conductor/Orchestra combos, not composers. But my third navigation method is the Bookmark Lists - I have them all filled up by composer and one list specifically for Jazz.

I am just past half full on a 1tb card. Something like 14k tracks.

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2021 at 3:58 PM Post #2,047 of 5,330
True, the search function may be missed by some users, but otherwise there is simply not much missing for me, even if it's a device from 2016.
The original question was "are the sony daps still relevant and worth buying in 2021?" ....as the reasons behind the question is that it's indeed "old" ... however, I don't understand what features it may lack as there is still nothing else on the market, which can be tuned and modded as easily as the wm1 daps, have that battery life etc.

Recently I bought a cayin n6ii-ti with the R2R ladder tech and android based system just to try the streaming function as I use it a lot and ofc to try the R2R DAC.
And what happened, coming from a wm1z I immediately missed so many things the n6ii-ti did not have, like remote control, long battery life even with BT streaming, the big buttons, the smooth and fast UI, the possibility to get multiple tuning options when I want to try something new, etc.
Honestly even streaming is not an issue, as I tested Sonys Bluetooth streaming against direct wlan streaming on the android dap, and still I liked the wm1z more soundwise.

If my wm1z would break today I immediately would buy a wm1z again, even in 2021 :wink:

This post was not against android daps or other manufacturers but just an appreciation of the amazing work Sony did with the latest walkmans (from the a45, zx300 to the wm1z).....and ofc those talented people, like Mrwalkman and others, who brought those "old" daps to even higher levels than Sony themselves :)

Sep 2, 2021 at 4:04 PM Post #2,048 of 5,330
I think most here listen to whole albums? They know the album they are looking for and know the artist. If anyone really did want to hear a song, most of the time you would know the artist who did it; so still no big deal. But it is possible with random top-forty playback, that it would actually be difficult? Like someone who collects giant groupings of hit songs. A song could possibly not be located, especially if you didn’t know the artist, or didn’t know the exact song title. But even in this style of playback, the song is maybe not so special to begin with?

Still you just add that song to a playlist of favorites, after you eventually find it? I almost can’t see how someone still would be in trouble? Really it’s a small issue, but still all the “other” factors make the players a win-win!

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2021 at 4:23 PM Post #2,049 of 5,330
You can also bookmark favorite songs/tracks on one of the 10 Bookmark lists. You can even then add all of the songs/tracks to a new Playlist.

Sep 2, 2021 at 4:26 PM Post #2,050 of 5,330
You can also bookmark favorite songs/tracks on one of the 10 Bookmark lists. You can even then add all of the songs/tracks to a new Playlist.
Exactly.....the only trouble is if the person doesn’t exactly know the song title or artist. I figure in that case, they don’t deserve to hear the song!

Or...........
In that strange situation, just go on YouTube (with your phone) find the song in 2 minutes (probably less) and then know the exact song title/artist.

But, again.....I myself have never had to do this as I listen to albums. But even so, there is always a way to work it out.

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2021 at 6:03 PM Post #2,051 of 5,330
The only time I'd really benefit from a search feature is with one band where I have about 20 different versions of a song (album, demo, live bootlegs) and would like to listen side by side instead of trying to remember which date, venue and tour (folder) it was in.
I imagine a 1tb+ library would benefit from a search feature, especially where soundtracks and various artist albums are factors.

Sep 2, 2021 at 9:17 PM Post #2,052 of 5,330
Funny, how (in my uses) the feature puts them side by side? This is listening to them side by side. Sorry though I don't have 20 of anything!

screenshot_20160101_102146559.png

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2021 at 9:54 PM Post #2,053 of 5,330
Funny, how (in my uses) the feature puts them side by side? This is listening to them side by side. Sorry though I don't have 20 of anything!

I actually didn't think of All Songs, I will have to check as some of my live bootleg files may have some extra prefix (date) that might affect the search ie. or the case where live tracks may flow on to each other and only the first track name would be picked up.

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2021 at 10:38 PM Post #2,054 of 5,330
Does the MrWalkman firmware improve the 1Z or is its sole purpose to try and bring the 1A to the 1Z sound?

Sep 2, 2021 at 10:42 PM Post #2,055 of 5,330
Does the MrWalkman firmware improve the 1Z or is its sole purpose to try and bring the 1A to the 1Z sound?

It works for both devices.

It seems that the 1A wasn't actually getting as close as possible to how a 1Z sounded like with a certain custom firmware, but that'll be addressed very soon with an update for 1A only.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back