The Continuation Of The Sony Walkman 1Z/1A Thread!
Aug 28, 2021 at 11:08 AM Post #2,026 of 5,330
I can only have one DAP. Is it LPGT or NW-WM1Z?

Aug 28, 2021 at 11:20 AM Post #2,027 of 5,330
I can only have one DAP. Is it LPGT or NW-WM1Z?

I suggest giving a try to custom firmware for WM1A before making a decision on another DAP.

You'd be surprised of the difference between the stock and the custom firmware sound, and maybe it'll influence your next decision.

Aug 28, 2021 at 12:54 PM Post #2,028 of 5,330
Sep 1, 2021 at 6:35 PM Post #2,030 of 5,330
Would the 1A (modded) or the 1Z still be a worthy purchase in 2021 vs other flagships? I'm not in a rush to get anything, I love Sony products but I worry that with them being from 2016 they're just too dated to be worth it currently. I've listened to a modded 1A that my friend owns and really liked the sound signature of it but it's definitely not the most feature rich player in 2021.

Sep 1, 2021 at 7:01 PM Post #2,031 of 5,330
Would the 1A (modded) or the 1Z still be a worthy purchase in 2021 vs other flagships? I'm not in a rush to get anything, I love Sony products but I worry that with them being from 2016 they're just too dated to be worth it currently. I've listened to a modded 1A that my friend owns and really liked the sound signature of it but it's definitely not the most feature rich player in 2021.
I have the NW-WM1A and plan on getting the NW-WM1Z.

Sep 2, 2021 at 2:14 AM Post #2,032 of 5,330
If you need/want features the WM don’t have then it is the wrong purchase. If the feature set covers your bases it could be the right purchase, I’m certainly intending to keep mine for many more years

Sep 2, 2021 at 6:34 AM Post #2,033 of 5,330
I'm wondering what features are missing from the WM1 daps besides streaming?

The LDAC receiver mode on my wm1z still sounds better to me than direct streaming on other high-end android daps I tried.

Especially with the newest custom firmwares from Mrwalkman I think the sony daps are more feature packed than other "modern" daps and with really useful features like a plethora of tuning options, LDAC, 10-band EQ, various filters, remote control (killer feature for me on the go), digital output for clean signal for tube amps, longest battery life on the market, etc....

Sep 2, 2021 at 6:54 AM Post #2,035 of 5,330
A search feature.
When you have 30K+ tracks you have to have them very well organized to find a specific track :smile:
I’ve got my 50.000+ tracks fully tagged plus a structured set of folders so have never seen the need for a search feature and I play by album end to end

Sep 2, 2021 at 7:34 AM Post #2,037 of 5,330
Never missed the search function as it's fast to find something... but this ofc shows that everyone has different needs

However I think all features are irrelevant if the sound quality doesn't suit you. If you like that sony tuning then the wm1 daps are still relevant today, at least I still haven't heard anything that I like better

Sep 2, 2021 at 7:47 AM Post #2,038 of 5,330
OK but frankly not to be able to search for a song, an artist, an album in 2021 it's a bit sad :triportsad:
Yes if it is something you need. For me it is completely irellevant

Sep 2, 2021 at 9:22 AM Post #2,039 of 5,330
OK but frankly not to be able to search for a song, an artist, an album in 2021 it's a bit sad :triportsad:
Yes, I get your point. You have to go to artists or songs OR an album and go down a long list in alphabetical order. It’s a slight hassle maybe? But you still can effectively search for all that stuff? I never need a “written in” search function like a computer? I can find anything.......fast?

The search function is not missing like your misleading post somehow makes it seem? Look for an artist and they are shown in alphabetical order. Look for an album...A,B,C or a song. Look for an artist....A,B,C,D. So it’s nothing really?

What we get is maybe a player that’s not totally perfect but it is in many ways perfect anyway? The search that has you put a word in and get a response back is like a computer. What we have is a player that has so many attributes on so many levels beyond the simple search function. The fact that it doesn’t have reduced battery life from Android. The fact that it sounds like a million dollars! The fact that I have many many songs and albums and have to search for little things all the time, but it works flawlessly.

I don’t just search for songs or albums to listen to but write reviews about music where I need to access my whole library very fast. I may need to look for an album that I just maybe remember and I can find it.

Nothing is ever lost or an inconvenience to find. So...... I am not sure what your point is? It maybe that if you own a 1A/1Z, that you need to get used to it, that’s all?

All the custom firmware and actual useful features make the current Walkmans the best for my use? Not just perfect but special?

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2021 at 9:40 AM Post #2,040 of 5,330
I am not sure what your point is? It maybe that if you own a 1A/1Z, that you need to get used to it, that’s all?

I had the ZX300, the 1A, then 1Z so I was very used to it.
At the end with the internal memory full + a full 1 TB microSD it was really a hassle to find songs.
I can understand that for you it's not a problem because you remember from which artist and in which album is every song but that's not my case :)
For me it's the same difference as finding something via the Yahoo! Directory vs. Google :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back