The Continuation Of The Sony Walkman 1Z/1A Thread!
Aug 3, 2021 at 3:25 PM Post #1,981 of 5,330
I have a philosophical question. Despite Android and streaming (actually, I have nothing against streaming), will the 1Z v2 be "better" than what we currently have? As in 1A/1Z with all flavors of custom FW.
Also, by better, I mean sound quality. I honestly don't care about brighter or bigger screen, more colors, 'faster' processors, or whatever. For a bigger screen, I have a computer.
If Sony locks the boot loader and no one can unlock it then there will never be custom firmware for it.

Aug 3, 2021 at 3:37 PM Post #1,982 of 5,330
I have a philosophical question. Despite Android and streaming (actually, I have nothing against streaming), will the 1Z v2 be "better" than what we currently have? As in 1A/1Z with all flavors of custom FW.
Also, by better, I mean sound quality. I honestly don't care about brighter or bigger screen, more colors, 'faster' processors, or whatever. For a bigger screen, I have a computer.
I was wondering the same thing. Being a 1A owner the 1Z has been something I have considered as a step up but the significant increase in weight puts me off, and although not essential I'd prefer a bit more powerful output if I was going to pay more money.
I don't stream and I've never used android to know of it's downsides, and only use at home so battery life isn't important to me so much, but I am wondering if upgraded tech combined with a more powerful output may give it a noticeable improvement in sound quality. If they can shed some weight I may consider it.
Are they just updating the WM1Z with streaming or are they going all out to take it to another level and take on the other daps that often rate higher?

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2021 at 4:24 PM Post #1,983 of 5,330
It’s certainly possible that the successor to the WM1 will be better if they develop improved versions of the S-Master and DSEE tech that powers the WM1 series. If they just reuse what was put in the WM1, then I doubt it. It really comes down to whether they get allowed by Sony executives to keep developing new tech or not.

I’m positive that Sony can top the WM1 series if given the chance. After all, it has been quite a while since the WM1 launched.

I don't stream and I've never used android to know of it's downsides, and only use at home so battery life isn't important to me so much, but I am wondering if upgraded tech combined with a more powerful output may give it a noticeable improvement in sound quality. If they can shed some weight I may consider it.
The one notable way that an improved processor would improve sound quality would be to give more processing power to the DSEE HX AI function, which I would assume would come standard on the “WM2” series instead of needing to be modded into the firmware. That function can provide greater results if more processing power is available to it, and the WM1 is quite a weak device in that regard.

For me, Sony’s custom S-Master solution is their killer app. Their solution offers sound quality that I haven’t heard any Android player using AKM/ESS DACs get close to, although I’m sure there are some super high-end ones that can sound great too. With the WM1 series, there are a few quirks and missing features, but the sound quality is worth it to me.

Aug 3, 2021 at 4:45 PM Post #1,984 of 5,330
They already made a successor to the Walkman 1Z/1A. It is the DMP-Z1. That’s what it took to upgrade the sound. That’s the size that was required to make the power greater. Obviously I haven’t heard the MK2 editions of the Walkmans, but they would have had to do something new to get sound quality changes? Obviously they have to make MK2 editions anyway at some point. If they are truly an advancement (in sound, not just a small functionality).......time will tell.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2021 at 10:46 PM Post #1,987 of 5,330
Why not wait for the WM1A Mark II or whatever it will be called?
If one wants to avoid Android (and the corresponding battery life), one might want to get the WM1A before it goes out of stock.

A quick scan of some of Amazon's European sites shows no stock. It's still available on Amazon US.

Aug 7, 2021 at 11:44 AM Post #1,988 of 5,330
30972279-AEA6-4797-9142-B9C5650079C0.jpeg

Aug 7, 2021 at 1:48 PM Post #1,990 of 5,330
If one wants to avoid Android (and the corresponding battery life), one might want to get the WM1A before it goes out of stock.

A quick scan of some of Amazon's European sites shows no stock. It's still available on Amazon US.
That’s exactly it.

Accessoryjack ships to EU apparently, good price as well.

Anyone uses the Audeze LCD X with WM1 players? Recommended?

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2021 at 3:01 PM Post #1,992 of 5,330
It will definitely be Android based, don’t want that.
The streaming capabilities of Android would be nice.
Even though I could stream through LDAC, I found bluetooth sounded way worse than local files, even for 16/44 FLAC which definitely doesn't exceed bandwidth of LDAC...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back