The Continuation Of The Sony Walkman 1Z/1A Thread!
Feb 8, 2021 at 2:00 PM Post #781 of 5,313
I'm going to leave it run now overnight etc to clock up the hours, I was just listening.
A lot do that :) It's kind of a slope as time passes the change lessens. My own WM1A has easily passed 1.5K hours so is well and truly at it's peak. My one piece of advice is please read the instructions for both stock and custom firmware, especially the latter as the Sony WM DAP's have several areas in the software that dictates the sound signature.

RUSH - 2112
1450x1450bb.jpg
1A on FEv2 (Plus)

Q-6

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2021 at 2:05 PM Post #782 of 5,313
A lot do that :) It's kind of a slope as time passes the change lessens. My own WM1A has easily passed 1.5K hours so is well and truly at it's peak. My one piece of advice is please read the instructions for both stock and custom firmware, especially the latter as the Sony WM DAP's have several areas in the software that dictates the sound signature.

RUSH - 2112
1450x1450bb.jpg

Q-6

imagine the listening parties thrown in Canada (and USA) from Rush fans on December 21st , 2112

Feb 8, 2021 at 7:15 PM Post #783 of 5,313
If you don’t mind, what was the cs inquiry about?
Hello, the question was about getting the DX220 with the combination of amp that I was looking for. But they took so long to answer that I got the reply after I purchased it from an authorized reseller.

Feb 8, 2021 at 10:15 PM Post #785 of 5,313
The M9 is highly regarded and ranks high among iems. It has very good bass and plenty of it but one thing you might need to consider is if you like bass and are used to having dynamic driver bass the BA bass might not be for you. I tried the M7 & M9 looking for a replacement for my XBA-Z5 and as much as I really liked them and wanted to buy they just didn't match the properties of dynamic bass. This is just my experience and I have seen other make comments too, otherwise go for it they are great quality in design and sound and that Sony synergy should be magic.
I own the MDR-Z1R and tried the original Z7, I don't know how much the Z7M2 differ in specs. The Z1R sound excellent from the 1A and are totally satisfying, I have made comments saying overheads can benefit from being driven with a higher power output, but that is only if you would want to try to get more out of them, it is not a requirement but a potential upgrade, otherwise like I said they are a good choice. Overheads generally do get warm though so perhaps iems might be a better choice?
I’ll have to disagree with that one. Coming from someone who also values the z5 for the bass the M9 will give you what you’re look for. The bass and added dynamics are awesoooommmeee. BUT. They can be a tad weird in the fitting department. Meaning they have to be just right for that bass to hit but once you get it you won’t be disappointed s

Feb 9, 2021 at 12:21 AM Post #786 of 5,313
I’ll have to disagree with that one. Coming from someone who also values the z5 for the bass the M9 will give you what you’re look for. The bass and added dynamics are awesoooommmeee. BUT. They can be a tad weird in the fitting department. Meaning they have to be just right for that bass to hit but once you get it you won’t be disappointed s
For my ears there was something about the M9 bass that didn't match the Z5 16mm driver bass, I have read comments and reviews mentioning similar things when I reconsidered them last year. Perhaps it is just the rumble factor and there are probably other traits of bass that the M9 excels in.
I was just sharing my opinion as he had iems with dynamic drivers.

Feb 9, 2021 at 6:23 AM Post #787 of 5,313
I received delivery of the Sony WM1A this morning and it is a work of beauty.

The build quality is very nice and I paired my Sennheiser HD600 to the WM1A and listened to the demo track on the DAP and the sound quality is sublime and lush.

I will install my music library later today and report back.

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2021 at 11:27 PM Post #788 of 5,313
So any recommendations for a pair of open-back headphones that work wonderfully with the 1A/1Z? I've been considering the Hifiman Arya and an old post back in the former thread said these DAPs should be able to drive it, but I'm still not sure if that's 100% the case. General consensus seems to be IEMs pair best with these things, but I was really hoping to get to enjoy the additional "being there" feeling that open-backs apparently can help with.

Most people's signatures and posts seem to report usage with IEMs, so if anyone uses these with open-backs, let me know :)

Feb 10, 2021 at 11:36 PM Post #789 of 5,313
So any recommendations for a pair of open-back headphones that work wonderfully with the 1A/1Z? I've been considering the Hifiman Arya and an old post back in the former thread said these DAPs should be able to drive it, but I'm still not sure if that's 100% the case. General consensus seems to be IEMs pair best with these things, but I was really hoping to get to enjoy the additional "being there" feeling that open-backs apparently can help with.

Most people's signatures and posts seem to report usage with IEMs, so if anyone uses these with open-backs, let me know :)

I use my all closed backs as opened, not sure if that helps lol.

Feb 10, 2021 at 11:58 PM Post #790 of 5,313

WM1A/Z doesn't have the power to drive Arya optimally as the HP is somewhat demanding. Ananda is the better choice for lower power DAP's being far easier to drive.

It's all in the numbers; higher the impedance and lower the efficiency the harder the HP/IEM will be to drive. i.e. Hifiman Ananda at 25 Ohms & 103db sensitivity will be far easier to drive than Hifiman Arya at 35 Ohm & 90db sensitivity.

Q-6

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2021 at 9:39 AM Post #792 of 5,313
Hi all,
I am a bit new here, but recently ordered a WM1A (used, but like new 4 months old). It is my 2nd DAP :) I am looking forward to receive it and test it. I am sure I will be back here to ask some questions and check the older posts in this thread. :)
cheers,
Poli

And the 3.000 pages in the original thread :wink:

Feb 11, 2021 at 2:59 PM Post #794 of 5,313
Feb 11, 2021 at 3:18 PM Post #795 of 5,313

Users who are viewing this thread

Back