The Continuation Of The Sony Walkman 1Z/1A Thread!
Feb 6, 2021 at 5:27 AM Post #751 of 5,330
I didn't realise that the region choice made a difference to SQ, thought it was just the volume cap and high gain - mine being an EU device this was of course applicable.

Early impressions of sound when compared to the ZX507 is that it's definitely brighter, I've become very accustomed to the ZX507 warmer signature recently and really love it so I'll definitely have a journey of getting to know the 1A and applying various tweaks. I had a similar feeling when I went from the ZX300 to ZX507... the 507 would definitely at this stage have gone past the recommended 200 hours burn-in.

Feb 6, 2021 at 5:49 AM Post #752 of 5,330
I've changed to J and upon completion in the tool it says "please RESET ALL SETTINGS on your device" - do I ignore this?

Feb 6, 2021 at 5:51 AM Post #753 of 5,330
I didn't realise that the region choice made a difference to SQ, thought it was just the volume cap and high gain - mine being an EU device this was of course applicable.

Early impressions of sound when compared to the ZX507 is that it's definitely brighter, I've become very accustomed to the ZX507 warmer signature recently and really love it so I'll definitely have a journey of getting to know the 1A and applying various tweaks. I had a similar feeling when I went from the ZX300 to ZX507... the 507 would definitely at this stage have gone past the recommended 200 hours burn-in.
It's more that it's a different sound signature catering for a countrie's ear than quality, whoever decides that.
Around the time I was moving on to a WM1A on the ZX300 thread someone claimed the different regions sounded different and they were scoffed at. Since owning the WM1A I have learnt so much about region differences and firmware achievements. We already hear things differently, but it makes me wonder before the awareness of regional differences how different people's reviews and experiences were between coutires models.

Feb 6, 2021 at 6:11 AM Post #754 of 5,330
I've changed to J and upon completion in the tool it says "please RESET ALL SETTINGS on your device" - do I ignore this?

Yes, the tool was made based on previous older players.

Just restart.

Feb 6, 2021 at 7:15 AM Post #755 of 5,330
Absolutely a bomb with the WM1A (Project Z in "Plus" mode) and the Z7M2 (via the balanced port):​

Feb 6, 2021 at 7:50 AM Post #756 of 5,330
Feb 6, 2021 at 1:43 PM Post #757 of 5,330
Had some fun taking shots of my new toy today - my white bedside locker served as a good backdrop. I am in love with this beast of a machine!

NW-1.04.jpg

Feb 6, 2021 at 2:52 PM Post #758 of 5,330
Had some fun taking shots of my new toy today - my white bedside locker served as a good backdrop. I am in love with this beast of a machine!

NW-1.04.jpg
Will you get a case for it? I really like the feel of it in my hand but for protection against scratches the Benks TPU case is a nice low profile clear case that still shows the beauty of it, or another I use for a bit more protection is a silicon one from Aliexpress that is thicker and will protect against drops when I'm listening while doing things around the house. Both cases came with dust caps for the port and 3.5mm and 4.4mm jacks.
Or you can go premium deluxe with a leather one but they are quite pricey.
A glass protector is a good idea too.

Feb 6, 2021 at 3:12 PM Post #760 of 5,330
I put in a best offer of £620 for a Sony WM1A boxed with silicone case on eBay and the seller accepted my offer. The Sony WM1A will be delivered to me this week and I’m really excited. Hopefully I don’t receive another empty box.

Feb 6, 2021 at 3:42 PM Post #762 of 5,330
Will you get a case for it? I really like the feel of it in my hand but for protection against scratches the Benks TPU case is a nice low profile clear case that still shows the beauty of it, or another I use for a bit more protection is a silicon one from Aliexpress that is thicker and will protect against drops when I'm listening while doing things around the house. Both cases came with dust caps for the port and 3.5mm and 4.4mm jacks.
Or you can go premium deluxe with a leather one but they are quite pricey.
A glass protector is a good idea too.

Yes I have the Benks and a glass protector on the way from Ali, both actually come with dust plugs too - looks like they've arrived in Ireland so I'm expecting them this week. I also have a Dignis on the way from Minidisk in Aus, be a while yet as the tracking only shows that as accepted by the airline.

Feb 6, 2021 at 3:50 PM Post #763 of 5,330
Feb 7, 2021 at 3:32 AM Post #765 of 5,330
^^Congrats....man, I continue to be tempted to grab one of these, but still can't get myself to do it. If price for a new one ever falls below $1k, it'd be tough for me to pass, but as it is, I'll continue to wait for the next thing from Sony before I do anything.

if i were you keep an eye on the FS threads where used ones pop up for as low as 600-700$ - I bought my used/like new wm1a back in 2017 for 900$ and after almost 4 years and 6000 hours of use , i am still so much in love with it - best money ever spent here (along with my EE Xeus XR)

fantastic DAP, and especially when used with the latest FWs by @MrWalkman , which take it to another sonic level

btw , next new thing from sony may appear in 2022 , seeing how the whole covid thing has been playing out

cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back