The Continuation Of The Sony Walkman 1Z/1A Thread!
Feb 5, 2021 at 4:10 PM Post #736 of 5,414
You using an Intel Mac, right? Gonna emulate Windows for the region change/custom firmware stuff?

I plan to buy a new Mac (the ones running Apple silicon), so am interested to see how Windows emulation goes in the near term. I know Parallels has something out in beta, but according to a friend, it's glitchy AF.

Yeah its a 1.1 GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i3 - I run Windows via VMware Fusion for region changes and applying firmware to the ZX300, works perfectly, no issues at all. But it's only to make those changes, I exit immediately.

Feb 5, 2021 at 4:47 PM Post #737 of 5,414
Much of the time our own mistakes can get us the biggest learning.

We owe mistakes a lot too, there were history changing mistakes. It depends who is making that mistake also. It's been told that Jackson Pollock, one day spilled paint in his studio while working, and from seeing that spill, he developed the dripping technic, which changed the course of painting in the mid of the 20th century. There is also a certain NW ZX507 amazon order that did not ship on time, making his costumer change it for a WM1A order instead, thus changing the course of the Sony Walkman's firmware mods as we knew it.

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2021 at 4:56 PM Post #738 of 5,414
I've had maybe one hour so far listening on the 1A, had to drag myself away from it for dinner and now loading up some music as I bought a new card for it too. First impressions out of the box, absolutely love it. I was nervous it might not feel much different to the ZX507 but its a clear step up in terms of what I want from my main DAP. The weight, build quality, ergonomics are just wonderful - plus I love being back to the simple UI as per the ZX300 but on a larger screen. It's a really beautiful device to behold! I definitely make buying decisions with a mix of logic and emotion and the latter is so important, it's what for me makes a device like this so satisfying.

Next step tonight is to change the region and I'll give it a week or so before trying any firmware.

Congratulations and welcome to the club.
I think initially it is good to do a full charge then turn on the battery saver - it probably doesn't matter much as the batteries seem invincible.
Now the fun starts: region changes, firmwares, and the improvements of burn in, it just keeps on giving.
BTW you can still listen while eating dinner, like the old days at school feeding your earphones up your shirt and angling your head so the teacher can't see.

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2021 at 5:14 PM Post #739 of 5,414
Congratulations and welcome to the club.
I think initially it is good to do a full charge then turn on the battery saver - it probably doesn't matter much as the batteries seem invincible.
Now the fun starts: region changes, firmwares, and the improvements of burn in, it just keeps on giving.
BTW you can still listen while dinner, like the old days at school feeding your earphones up your shirt and angling your head so the teacher can't see.

Thank you, it is indeed a privilege and delighted to be a member!

Yeah I left it charge when it arrived earlier, took a few hours to fully charge. I noticed already the region difference in terms of volume - the DUNU ZEN on my ZX300 or ZX507 (both uncapped) sit at around 50-60 max and often less, I needed to crank this up to about 70 - still lots left of course but I will definitely change the region.

Ah yes, the old school tricks... Thankfully after work, I can choose the music being played over dinner, as long as it's nothing too intrusive or 'funeral music' which is in reference to my ambient music I often play!

I'm content now in terms of DAPs but can't say the same on IEMs... love the ZEN but still a hunger for more!

Feb 6, 2021 at 1:02 AM Post #740 of 5,414
IME even good mp3's files sounds better with the 1A on SE than in my NW-A45 and Cowon PD.
Yes, couldn't agree more. And due to the numbers of mp3 I've collected throughout the years, couldn't be more grateful of that. One of my worries in getting TOTL player is sq for mp3 playback, and I'm glad I choose wm1a over others.

Feb 6, 2021 at 4:10 AM Post #741 of 5,414
Thinking about it, the sole fact that the sound can open up and get a holographic soundstage and all, is already a statement that 1A is clearly intentionally made to sound worse. It's their choice anyway, I'm not here to be angry at Sony or stuff like that.

This is why 1A owners should at least give a try to custom firmware before getting a 1Z - that is if they don't just have ~$3200 to just spare.

I'm strictly speaking in regards to money saving here, as I get it if someone wants the 1Z because of how it looks like/feels in hand or other reasons - and of course, a 1Z will sound better with custom firmware too, but then a 1A can get hardware modded for cheaper, and get past the 1Z performance.

In any case, it would be a shame to pass on this opportunity. If these players would get this custom firmware somewhere in 2016-2018, I think that this would get more attention than it does today in 2021, when I'm sure that people already got over to the next thing, some of them from a long time ago.

I'm content now in terms of DAPs but can't say the same on IEMs... love the ZEN but still a hunger for more!

Wait to give a try to custom firmware (when the time comes) - you'll see that the ZEN can do better :wink:

Feb 6, 2021 at 4:33 AM Post #742 of 5,414
Wait to give a try to custom firmware (when the time comes) - you'll see that the ZEN can do better :wink:

Loaded about 350gb of music and did the region change, I'm very tempted to just go ahead with custom firmware this weekend but feel it makes sense to know what the base capability is so I can really compare.

Feb 6, 2021 at 4:38 AM Post #743 of 5,414
Loaded about 350gb of music and did the region change, I'm very tempted to just go ahead with custom firmware this weekend but feel it makes sense to know what the base capability is so I can really compare.

I don't mean to push you to do anything, but you could also give the custom firmware a try and then return to the stock firmware. The differences could be even more noticeable this way.

Project Z is basically a more warm and analogue version of DMP-WM1 FEv2 (just so you have an idea what is the difference between the two), and they both have the two boot modes (Classic/Plus).

You actually have the ZX300, and you could listen a while with the custom firmware, and then go back to stock, apply the stock external tuning (or just install the official 2.02 firmware from Sony again), and give it another listen then. It should be something like this on the WM1A, only at a higher level of quality on both sides.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2021 at 4:58 AM Post #744 of 5,414
I don't mean to push you to do anything, but you could also give the custom firmware a try and then return to the stock firmware. The differences could be even more noticeable this way.

Project Z is basically a more warm and analogue version of DMP-WM1 FEv2 (just so you have an idea what is the difference between the two), and they both have the two boot modes (Classic/Plus).

You actually have the ZX300, and you could listen a while with the custom firmware, and then go back to stock, apply the stock external tuning (or just install the official 2.02 firmware from Sony again), and give it another listen then. It should be something like this on the WM1A, only at a higher level of quality on both sides.

Yes I’ve always found that loosing something is much more noticable than initially getting something

Feb 6, 2021 at 5:02 AM Post #745 of 5,414
Yes interesting approach, I'll fire up the Mac!

Feb 6, 2021 at 5:07 AM Post #746 of 5,414
Like Mr Walkman suggested you could just go custom, then downgrade to see the improvements but personally I like the idea of moving on and up so my recommendation is to get used to stock then go custom. Some prefer to just listen and gradually burn in but I didn't want to wait so just let it run with occasional listening to clock up the recommended 200 hours.
My original region was E which was for me lacking in bass so I switched early on to J region which steered it more towards what I was used to with my ZX300 but with the hardware improvements. Firmwares have the biggest impact so you could save the best for last.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2021 at 5:13 AM Post #747 of 5,414
I've decided to at least give it today with stock firmware, plan to listen to a few albums/various genres to really get a feel for it.

In terms of region, I went for CA as wasn't sure if I picked a non English speaking if I'd have to figure out switching languages after the reset?

Feb 6, 2021 at 5:13 AM Post #748 of 5,414
I've decided to at least give it today with stock firmware, plan to listen to a few albums/various genres to really get a feel for it.

In terms of region, I went for CA as wasn't sure if I picked a non English speaking if I'd have to figure out switching languages after the reset?

You only need to restart the player actually. So you can change to J, and the English language will stay unless you reset the settings.

CA doesn't actually exist in these newer players - the closest one that exists is U. While with the CA region, you should notice "Certificates" option in Settings, which usually becomes available for the J region - that is because if the player doesn't recognize the current region, it will default the interface options to J (not the sound though).

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2021 at 5:16 AM Post #749 of 5,414
You only need to restart the player actually. So you can change to J, and the English language will stay unless you reset the settings.

Ah ok, I thought you needed to do a full reset. I'll try that today.

Feb 6, 2021 at 5:18 AM Post #750 of 5,414

If english was the original language switching to a non-english language retains the original english language.
Coming from a ZX300 the immediate improvements I noticed were more detail and a wider soundstage. When I sold my ZX300 the tuning mods had just become available but the custom firmwares weren't out yet so I speak of a stock ZX300.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back