The Continuation Of The Sony Walkman 1Z/1A Thread!
Feb 4, 2021 at 5:25 AM Post #721 of 5,346
I think I’m better waiting for a good deal on the Sony WM1A and using the Project Z firmware to get the WM1Z sound quality and use the rest of the money to buy better headphones.

It's gonna be better than the WM1Z stock sound quality.

Interesting to see you have the Beyerdynamic DT1770 Pro. I have the Beyerdynamic T5P. I am wondering if they will pair well with the Sony WM1A. I’ve currently got my T5P headphones paired with my Sony A55 running the DMP-A50FEv2 firmware and they sound good.

If they sound good out of the A55, it will be very good out of the WM1A.

Feb 4, 2021 at 6:27 AM Post #722 of 5,346
Before being in the "business" of getting a dedicated DAP to play my music, I was mostly happy with FiiO BTR5 (streaming from my smartphone via LDAC), or with Dragonfly Red when sitting at my PC. At that time I could've afforded a WM1Z no problem, though I wasn't even aware of no Sony DAP.

In around October 2019 I gave a try to FiiO M11 Pro (since I was happy with the overall quality of the BTR5), but there was nothing particularly special, except for the really clean sound. I didn't end up using the DAP too much and I went on with my business until somewhere in January 2020.

I honestly don't remember how I got to find out about Sony DAPs, but I've used Sony products before and I was always pleased with their overall quality. My first choice was the ZX507, until I realized that I don't need another Android DAP, after the experience with the M11 Pro's Android OS, which was usually a bit sluggish, and not the kind of experience I wanted to have when I was having some me & DAP time. :)

I was then considering the WM1A, as by that time WM1Z was no longer an option due to the price. The WM1A surely looked interesting from the photos, and I never had the experience of a non-Android device, especially for playing music. I am also using Tidal/Youtube from time to time, so I was thinking again that the ZX507 had streaming capabilities, and I actually ordered the ZX507 from Amazon.

Three days have passed, and Amazon didn't ship the ZX507. In this time, I was thinking of the WM1A vs ZX507 thing, and I concluded that WM1A has the BT Receiver function., as well as the USB DAC one, if I ever wanted to listen from streaming services, so I cancelled the ZX507 order, and ordered the WM1A.

Totally no regrets here, and I think that buying this player was the greatest purchase decision I've ever made.

If I didn't know better now, I would've probably gotten the 1Z at that time if I had the money, especially after trying the 1A and seeing how the OS works/looks like. The 1Z could still be great for Sony fans who want something special in their hands, but you could hardware mod a 1A and easily get past the ~10% brought by the hardware differences (@nc8000 could share his thoughts about that), and for the software differences, we may all know my answer - custom firmware, which tackles that part that creates the artificial difference that plays an important part in the ~$2200 price difference.

A stock 1Z with stock firmware would get totally owned by a hardware modded 1A with custom firmware, and then the only difference would be an almost ~500g nicely looking copper brick :D Even just the custom firmware is basically getting the 1A over a stock 1Z.

Again, I love these Sony DAPs, and I think they are severely underrated today for what they can become with custom firmware. I wish I wouldn't talk about custom firmware this much, as I could sound annoying, but it's just how it is.

I was mostly pleased with how the stock 1A sounded like, but I wouldn't imagine myself going back to that sound after having heard how it can sound like today! At the moment I am using Project Z, which brings that warm/analogue part of the 1Z and combines it with the soundstage holography/layering/detail retrieval of the Z1-based mods.

In the end, I honestly don't have even the slightest intention of looking for anything else. The 1A already sounds so good with the stock hardware. The only thing I would consider is hardware modding it.

I am using Sony Z7M2 from the balanced port (which I think they sound absolutely great), Beyerdynamic DT1770 Pro from the 3.5 port (with high gain and a volume of around 100), and the Shure SE846 with neutral tips (the neutral tips setup benefits from the warmer sound signature of Project Z).

I’ve never heard a stock 1A but after doing the Nayparm mod the only difference between a modded 1A and a modded 1Z is the copper casing plus extra storage, everything else is identical so if one wants to mod doing it on a 1A is by far the most cost effective way to go, but a stock 1A may still have it’s own unique sound sig that some might prefer

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2021 at 8:27 AM Post #723 of 5,346
Which IEMs/Headphones are Sony WM1A and WM1Z users using? I understand from reviews that the Sony WM1A and WM1Z produces awesome sound quality but I understand that good IEMs and headphones are needed to take advantage of the sound quality. I own three good quality headphones. They are the Beyerdynamic T5p, Sennheiser HD600 and Oppo PM3. Which headphones are people on here using with their Sony WM1 series DAPs?
IER-M7 quad BA IEM, IER-Z1R and MDR-Z1R full sized cans

Feb 4, 2021 at 9:52 AM Post #724 of 5,346
Before being in the "business" of getting a dedicated DAP to play my music, I was mostly happy with FiiO BTR5 (streaming from my smartphone via LDAC), or with Dragonfly Red when sitting at my PC. At that time I could've afforded a WM1Z no problem, though I wasn't even aware of no Sony DAP.

In around October 2019 I gave a try to FiiO M11 Pro (since I was happy with the overall quality of the BTR5), but there was nothing particularly special, except for the really clean sound. I didn't end up using the DAP too much and I went on with my business until somewhere in January 2020.

I honestly don't remember how I got to find out about Sony DAPs, but I've used Sony products before and I was always pleased with their overall quality. My first choice was the ZX507, until I realized that I don't need another Android DAP, after the experience with the M11 Pro's Android OS, which was usually a bit sluggish, and not the kind of experience I wanted to have when I was having some me & DAP time. :)

I was then considering the WM1A, as by that time WM1Z was no longer an option due to the price. The WM1A surely looked interesting from the photos, and I never had the experience of a non-Android device, especially for playing music. I am also using Tidal/Youtube from time to time, so I was thinking again that the ZX507 had streaming capabilities, and I actually ordered the ZX507 from Amazon.

Three days have passed, and Amazon didn't ship the ZX507. In this time, I was thinking of the WM1A vs ZX507 thing, and I concluded that WM1A has the BT Receiver function., as well as the USB DAC one, if I ever wanted to listen from streaming services, so I cancelled the ZX507 order, and ordered the WM1A.

Totally no regrets here, and I think that buying this player was the greatest purchase decision I've ever made.

If I didn't know better now, I would've probably gotten the 1Z at that time if I had the money, especially after trying the 1A and seeing how the OS works/looks like. The 1Z could still be great for Sony fans who want something special in their hands, but you could hardware mod a 1A and easily get past the ~10% brought by the hardware differences (@nc8000 could share his thoughts about that), and for the software differences, we may all know my answer - custom firmware, which tackles that part that creates the artificial difference that plays an important part in the ~$2200 price difference.

A stock 1Z with stock firmware would get totally owned by a hardware modded 1A with custom firmware, and then the only difference would be an almost ~500g nicely looking copper brick :D Even just the custom firmware is basically getting the 1A over a stock 1Z.

Again, I love these Sony DAPs, and I think they are severely underrated today for what they can become with custom firmware. I wish I wouldn't talk about custom firmware this much, as I could sound annoying, but it's just how it is.

I was mostly pleased with how the stock 1A sounded like, but I wouldn't imagine myself going back to that sound after having heard how it can sound like today! At the moment I am using Project Z, which brings that warm/analogue part of the 1Z and combines it with the soundstage holography/layering/detail retrieval of the Z1-based mods.

In the end, I honestly don't have even the slightest intention of looking for anything else. The 1A already sounds so good with the stock hardware. The only thing I would consider is hardware modding it.
Admittedly it would be more complex for Sony's own engineers to elevate the SQ of the firmware due to inhouse certification, equally one would think that leaving all that latent potential untapped to be imprudent in the face of stiff competition? Ultimately only Sony knows why, maybe a long-term strategy for the next generation of high end DAP's?

1A to 1Z difference in sound signature to me has always been mostly due to software as the internal changes to the hardware simply don't add up to such a difference. As for the better, purely personal preference.

Q-6

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2021 at 10:23 AM Post #725 of 5,346
1A to 1Z difference in sound signature to me has always been mostly due to software as the internal changes to the hardware simply don't add up to such a difference. As for the better, purely personal preference.

After reading about both these devices for like a month now I'm becoming convinced this is what it is. This whole thing has lead me down a rabbit hole where I'm finding myself becoming that audiophile that's desperate to get the "best" one when I'm likely not going to know why either one is better if I bought it since I'm not even going to have the other to compare with.

At this point I really am more just interested in seeing proof Sony wanted to make a premium product that nets them more money and went with the copper body as a cheap (or rather, expensive) gimmick to drive the price up more so than any interest in improving sound quality.

But then I see the 1Z folk saying it's analogue, warm, gooey, lush... Sometimes this feels like watching a review of a movie: going in to learn your own opinion which will be formed based on what the reviewers say.

"Ah, so that's my opinion!"

:jecklinsmile:

Feb 4, 2021 at 10:29 AM Post #726 of 5,346
At this point I really am more just interested in seeing proof Sony wanted to make a premium product that nets them more money and went with the copper body as a cheap (or rather, expensive) gimmick to drive the price up more so than any interest in improving sound quality.

But then I see the 1Z folk saying it's analogue, warm, gooey, lush... Sometimes this feels like watching a review of a movie: going in to learn your own opinion which will be formed based on what the reviewers say.

A stock 1Z is actually like 1Z folk describes it. The only thing is that this special sound is not 100% because of the different capacitors, resistors, internal wires, and the copper body. So it's not like you're gonna buy a 1Z and it won't be something different and special than a 1A.

The board is the same except for the mentioned parts above, and the extra 128 GB of internal storage.

But if you're gonna buy a 1A and use one of the currently available custom firmware, and compare that to a stock 1Z, you will see that the 1A sounds better overall.

Feb 4, 2021 at 3:11 PM Post #727 of 5,346
After reading about both these devices for like a month now I'm becoming convinced this is what it is. This whole thing has lead me down a rabbit hole where I'm finding myself becoming that audiophile that's desperate to get the "best" one when I'm likely not going to know why either one is better if I bought it since I'm not even going to have the other to compare with.

"Ah, so that's my opinion!"

:jecklinsmile:
My opinion is that Sony simply wanted to appeal to a wider audience with the WM1A, present a TOTL DAP for it's hardcore fans that reinforces the Sony house sound and also be seen to be competing at the same level as it's peers.

The copper body is technically better at reducing external interference, yet is mostly sales & marketing, it adds a good deal of heft which some associate with quality and many Asian countries value the gold coloration above the more typical black/silver chassis of most other players.

In short there is nothing wrong with the WM1Z, equally it's now rather overpriced for what the DAP offers in the face of the competition. When people approach me directly regarding the WM1Z my advice is if you can easily afford and want one why not, equally be aware of it's limitations and what the competition offers. Personally I prefer to have multiple DAP's as for my use it brings more to the table and have felt at times that the WM1Z adds too much colouration to the music.

Those interested the best option is to A/B both the 1A & 1Z directly, just be mindful that on Sony stock firmware the 1Z may have the advantage as that's Sony's intention for those seeking a warmer more analogue source. Add @MrWalkman custom firmware into the equation and the game changes with the firmware modified 1A surpassing the stock 1Z. Obviously the WM1Z can equally scale, however the gap wont be significant under the custom firmware as now both players are equally tuned...

The main reason the purchase the WM1Z is simply that you simply want one :)

Q-6

Feb 4, 2021 at 3:19 PM Post #728 of 5,346
Which IEMs/Headphones are Sony WM1A and WM1Z users using? I understand from reviews that the Sony WM1A and WM1Z produces awesome sound quality but I understand that good IEMs and headphones are needed to take advantage of the sound quality. I own three good quality headphones. They are the Beyerdynamic T5p, Sennheiser HD600 and Oppo PM3. Which headphones are people on here using with their Sony WM1 series DAPs?
On the 1A I'm using Solaris 2020 with balanced DHC Clone Silver cable or Cascade with balanced Molecule Elite 4-wire silver.

For the 1Z I'm using Solaris SE or Andromeda Gold with balanced DHC Clone Silver cable or DHC Clone Fusion.

Feb 4, 2021 at 8:18 PM Post #729 of 5,346
The key is being grateful I guess. Grateful solves a bunch of problems.

Yes, been grateful makes you value what you got, the things we get with no effort, most of the times are not valued, easy comes, easy goes.

We are blessed and privileged compared people hearing to commercial audio and having no idea about the audio world. I'm grateful with the people in this community that contribute positively, no matter if it is a small comment or a long technical explanation. Thanks to them i've expanded my understanding and appreciation to the art and the artists i listen to.

1A strictly home use and I'm debating using for hi-res files only

IME even good mp3's files sounds better with the 1A on SE than in my NW-A45 and Cowon PD.

Feb 4, 2021 at 9:41 PM Post #730 of 5,346
Much of the time our own mistakes can get us the biggest learning. A short while ago a member sent me an EQ profile to try and re-EQ the Sony XBA-Z5 and give it the sound of the Sony XBA-N3. So to be friendly I put the EQ settings in my Apple MacBook Colibri player and (since I own both the Z5 and N3) went and gave him my personal opinion as to how the Z5 may in fact sound like the N3.

Well to make a long story short, I don't use EQ except for just a tiny bass add on one IEM in my collection, and even then it's minimal. So this write up is not about EQ, as most reading this will already have their attitudes set on EQ.

Basically I told him how to me the Z5 didn't actually sound improved with the EQ setting taking place. I think he may have thought that the N3 while coming out later was more advanced in sound than the XBA-Z5. He was on the fence at the time and eventually did buy the XBA-Z5 and review it. I explained that in my view the XBA-Z5 had dramatic differences ( in comparison) due to the DD size and implementation concerning the two drivers. 9mm is the size of the XBA-N3 driver and a whopping 16mm is the size of the XBA-Z5 DD driver. I continued to explain to him that before you decide to buy the XBA-Z5 that the fit is atrocious. But........the fact that the Z5 has this fully worked out gigantic DD authority, most likely of course due to 16mm...............HELLO......16mm!

Ok now here is the good part............... and this is where massive learning took place. I never EQ ColibriFLAC in the MacBook and will use the MacBook 3.5mm out only as I guess it would be of interest nowdays for people who just want to travel and use minimal equipment. There is something to be said for great IEMs that simply sound wonderful from the MacBook..............especially due to ease of use and ergonomics in play.

So what covers me is I also use iPods for reference. So my testing will be from two desktops and the Walkmans primarily, with the MacBook and Alpen 2 just for reasons of completeness and to see how much an IEM with show personality of the different DAC/Amps in use. As stuff normally plays out many IEMs show big differences and of course there seems to be a few that rebel to show differences. These differences are by far a side judgment in how an IEM gets rated as there is always synergy at play where one or two combinations will seem to gel and sound like the products were made for each other. Then of course there is the IEMs that sound great across the board and others which seem destined to only have one DAC/Amp they get along with.

OK, this is where stuff starts to get real!

I go about my after test using of an IEM. This would be a situation where I'm simply using an IEM in daily use and not really even judging it. The review has been written and the IEM is simply sitting around being rotated in and out of casual daily use or lack of use.

I plug the IEM into the 3.5mm port of the MacBook Air running Colibri FLAC. "WOW' this sounds really bad! The MacBook amps and DAC is way way more brittle sounding than I remember? Glad I never use it!

A day or two goes by and again, casually I take out the FiiO E17K Alpen2 plug the USB into the MacBook Air and listen? WOW? WOW? Those guys at FiiO really put color into the Alpen2 DAC/Amp? I always knew it had a personality yet, I must be getting better at this because the E17K sounds dramatically colored now? Wild........Lol.......lol.

So the MacBook remains something that I simply don't use for music. Then one day I start to use it again with the Alpen2 as I'm curious at to what my perception of the Alpen 2 would be. The last time I used the Alpen 2 it was way different and actually entertaining that it sounded so different? Not necessarily that bad but not the style I ever remember it to be, thus I was both confused and curious.

So you can maybe guess where this is going?

The Alpen 2 would not play so I started to look at settings. This I never do as stuff always works and I never EQ. So looking back at me with the biggest shock of reality was the prior N3 EQ setting made to modify the end sound of the Sony XBA-Z5. So what ever those EQ changes were they were both the same form of different in listening to the MacBook 3.5mm out and the FiiO Alpen2 E17K output.

The fascinating thing was the MacBook was judged as horrible yet the FiiO E17K Alpen2 was judged as having an off frequency response combined with the understanding of color! The same different EQ unknowingly used resulting in two opposite assumptions?

Of course I eased the EQ settings and will check it now every time I use Colibri FLAC.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2021 at 10:41 PM Post #731 of 5,346
Does anyone use 1A/1Z with headphone instead of IEM? If yes, what headphone is it? Does it have enough juice to power it?
I have used the Senn 6XX, 660S, and 800S, all balanced. Both the 1A and 1Z have enough power for those. I have even used the 800S in low gain with the volume at 95, and I got a comfortable listening level.

Which headphones are people on here using with their Sony WM1 series DAPs?
IEM: I have the 64 Audio A6t. They sound great paired with the 1A and 1Z. (Full size headphones above)

yet is mostly sales & marketing, it adds a good deal of heft which some associate with quality and many Asian countries value the gold coloration above the more typical black/silver chassis of most other players.
For sure, there is a marketing component. I work in marketing, and I am a sucker for the gold brick. I enjoy explaining the benefits of an OFC gold plated case to my friends when they ask about 'that iPod.'

Feb 5, 2021 at 5:52 AM Post #732 of 5,346
Landed... going to be painful working for the day before I can enjoy!

20210205_105039.jpg

Feb 5, 2021 at 3:52 PM Post #733 of 5,346
^^Congrats....man, I continue to be tempted to grab one of these, but still can't get myself to do it. If price for a new one ever falls below $1k, it'd be tough for me to pass, but as it is, I'll continue to wait for the next thing from Sony before I do anything.

Feb 5, 2021 at 3:58 PM Post #734 of 5,346
I've had maybe one hour so far listening on the 1A, had to drag myself away from it for dinner and now loading up some music as I bought a new card for it too. First impressions out of the box, absolutely love it. I was nervous it might not feel much different to the ZX507 but its a clear step up in terms of what I want from my main DAP. The weight, build quality, ergonomics are just wonderful - plus I love being back to the simple UI as per the ZX300 but on a larger screen. It's a really beautiful device to behold! I definitely make buying decisions with a mix of logic and emotion and the latter is so important, it's what for me makes a device like this so satisfying.

Next step tonight is to change the region and I'll give it a week or so before trying any firmware.

20210205_204908.jpg

Feb 5, 2021 at 4:05 PM Post #735 of 5,346
I've had maybe one hour so far listening on the 1A, had to drag myself away from it for dinner and now loading up some music as I bought a new card for it too. First impressions out of the box, absolutely love it. I was nervous it might not feel much different to the ZX507 but its a clear step up in terms of what I want from my main DAP. The weight, build quality, ergonomics are just wonderful - plus I love being back to the simple UI as per the ZX300 but on a larger screen. It's a really beautiful device to behold! I definitely make buying decisions with a mix of logic and emotion and the latter is so important, it's what for me makes a device like this so satisfying.

Next step tonight is to change the region and I'll give it a week or so before trying any firmware.

You using an Intel Mac, right? Gonna emulate Windows for the region change/custom firmware stuff?

I plan to buy a new Mac (the ones running Apple silicon), so am interested to see how Windows emulation goes in the near term. I know Parallels has something out in beta, but according to a friend, it's glitchy AF.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back